Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 16 Jan 2013 (Wednesday) 11:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon launches its first Image Square “Experience Center” in... Calgary?

Juscott
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jan 28, 2013 11:24 |  #31

jrmy wrote in post #15541081 (external link)
I'm sure the decision came down to available, cheap retail space; and I'm certain both municipal and Provincial governments sweetened the deal.

For someone who traveled quite extensively, they really should have a better idea of commercial real estate. Calgary's commercial real estate is the quite the opposite of your statment; Unavailable and quite expensive.

-5D mark ii, 16-40L, 24-105L

sponsored links
jrmy
THREAD ­ STARTER
475 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 28, 2013 16:39 |  #32

Juscott wrote in post #15543658 (external link)
For someone who traveled quite extensively, they really should have a better idea of commercial real estate. Calgary's commercial real estate is the quite the opposite of your statment; Unavailable and quite expensive.

Well, relative to suitable sites in Toronto and Vancouver, I can promise you Calgary is certainly less expensive.

Anyway, I contacted Canon Canada. They graciously responded in less than twenty-four hours. This was their response:

We chose Calgary as the site for Image Square, the Canon Experience Centre, for a number of reasons, the first being that Calgary is an innovation and creativity hub in Canada. Calgarians are culturally engaged and there is a very active photography community in the city. Furthermore, Canon Canada has a branch office in Calgary (it's been there almost 30 years), so we're familiar with the market and are eager to support our dealers and customers there.

A lot of people have asked if we're planning on building another Image Square in Toronto or Vancouver, and the answer is that we don't have any plans for new centres at this time. Our main goal is to give our customers the best experience they can have with our products, and that will include listening to Calgarians and finding out how we can use Image Square to best meet their needs. Those learnings will certainly help us if and when we decide to build another centre in the coming years.

Check out my site (external link), as well as my gear and feedback.
5D Mark III | 16-35 II | 24-105 | 50 1.8 II | 70-200 2.8 IS II

photorider
620 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 28, 2013 18:40 |  #33

jrmy wrote in post #15544857 (external link)
Anyway, I contacted Canon Canada. They graciously responded in less than twenty-four hours. This was their response:

Those were the real people to contact. All I know is that it is here and has been well received so far in the community. As a Canonista I understand why so many are going why Calgary, but I am quite glad. Just another reason for everyone to come visit us here.

Trever Canon 7D, 24-70 F2.8L ii, Sigma 10-20 1:4-5.6 DC HSM, and a bunch of other little stuff to make light sorta work. Deviant (external link)

DDL
449 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 29, 2013 13:20 as a reply to  @ photorider's post |  #34

I've visited it once already - nice to see all of the lens on display and being able to try them out with any body they have there. I didn't investigate how they sell product but they had me look on their computers for pricing/etc. on the Canon Canada website.

My concern is that it won't be long for this world being located downtown.

During the weekday parking is hard to find and expensive so most of the people who walk in are office workers or somebody working near downtown. And on the weekend not a lot of people come downtown as it's still a hassle for parking/etc. (relative to Vistek, theCameraStore, etc.) but I haven't actually seen how busy it is on Saturday.

When I visit an actual camera store I'm usually interested in a lot of the other photography related stuff as well as lens and bodies.

DDL

GearList

photorider
620 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 29, 2013 13:34 |  #35

DDL wrote in post #15548516 (external link)
I've visited it once already - nice to see all of the lens on display and being able to try them out with any body they have there. I didn't investigate how they sell product but they had me look on their computers for pricing/etc. on the Canon Canada website.

My concern is that it won't be long for this world being located downtown.

During the weekday parking is hard to find and expensive so most of the people who walk in are office workers or somebody working near downtown. And on the weekend not a lot of people come downtown as it's still a hassle for parking/etc. (relative to Vistek, theCameraStore, etc.) but I haven't actually seen how busy it is on Saturday.

When I visit an actual camera store I'm usually interested in a lot of the other photography related stuff as well as lens and bodies.

I was there this past Saturday and it was somewhat busy, but not swarmed. They are there for you to experience what Canon has to offer, not sell you anything. Their main goal is to show you what the product line can do, whether it is there cameras, lenses, printers or office equipment. Once they have narrowed you to the product that you would like they recommend you to the dealers that carry that product and you are off to make a purchase there.

The choice of placing it downtown is because of the office equipment. I think it will do just fine. Ps, the underground parking across the street is only $2 on Saturday.

Trever Canon 7D, 24-70 F2.8L ii, Sigma 10-20 1:4-5.6 DC HSM, and a bunch of other little stuff to make light sorta work. Deviant (external link)

emko
82 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Feb 05, 2013 06:50 |  #36

What does that canon building on 27th Ave NE do? I always thought they did repairs there.

davem01
91 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Feb 05, 2013 07:05 as a reply to  @ emko's post |  #37

it's typical, I learnt about this centre a few day AFTER returning to the UK after spending Christmas and New Year in Calgary

My Gear: 5D mk iv, EF 24-105L, 70-300L, 100L IS Macro, 17-40L, 100-400L mkii

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Aug 28, 2013 11:13 |  #38

I dropped by last week as I was in town for work - to sum it up I was pretty underwhelmed.

I was the only person in the store and the staff didn't give me so much as a glance (I think I did two laps of the store). The guy in the "studio" section was busy watching YouTube videos.

They had some of the big (off) whites on display but I don't recall seeing a 1Dx. That being said I didn't look very closely as the environment didn't seem very welcoming.

Joel

sublimesun
404 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 28, 2013 15:10 |  #39

joeblack2022 wrote in post #16247299 (external link)
I dropped by last week as I was in town for work - to sum it up I was pretty underwhelmed.

I was the only person in the store and the staff didn't give me so much as a glance (I think I did two laps of the store). The guy in the "studio" section was busy watching YouTube videos.

They had some of the big (off) whites on display but I don't recall seeing a 1Dx. That being said I didn't look very closely as the environment didn't seem very welcoming.

That's unfortunate. Sounds like typical Calgary customer service. Too many jobs in that city...

ww.mattlucasphotograph​y.com (external link) flick (external link)r 500px (external link)

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,562 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 28, 2013 15:38 |  #40

I really like "The Camera Store". Purchased a 24-70 MK1 there on line, decided it was not for me at that time in life and the refund was no hassle. Purchased my 24-105 while there on business. On line free shipping with other purchases. Fast and I only have to pay one tax.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

DDL
449 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 28, 2013 19:32 |  #41

The CameraStore is great to deal with as most of their staff are "lifers" who live and enjoy photography (also same with some Vistek and Saneal staff). However, I think the CameraStore is the easiest to deal with on issues, returns, exchanges, etc.

DDL

GearList

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Aug 29, 2013 07:35 |  #42

joeblack2022 wrote in post #16247299 (external link)

looks like a fun place to try out stuff

sponsored links

8,811 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon launches its first Image Square “Experience Center” in... Calgary?
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.