Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 02 Feb 2013 (Saturday) 15:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Mac or PC?

Cherepashka
74 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 02, 2013 15:12 |  #1

I am currently a PC user. Mainly working with the photoshop (airbrushing models). Want to buy second computer (since had bad experience in the past when the only computer breaks) and just wonder whether I should get Mac instead of the second PC?
I've heard from few people that aparently the colors in the photoshop appears to be different depending on which computer you are working. Is there any way to calibrate the Mac monitor so the colors are the same in the photoshop as shown on my PC or shall I just stick with the PC amd there will be no problems? :lol:

sponsored links
MaxxuM
Goldmember
3,350 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 02, 2013 19:18 |  #2

Choose the one you "like" best. The biggest limiter will be your software. If your copy of Adobe (and anything else you've purchased) doesn't come with an OSX license, you'll have to re-purchase your software.

Personally, I feel more 'creative' using OSX (Mac) because it just feels right to 'me'. Everything else doesn't matter because I love using Mac's and I also have an iPhone & iPad's so everything works so well together that my mother could even use it.

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,836 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Feb 03, 2013 17:48 as a reply to  @ MaxxuM's post |  #3

Adobe swapped my Win licenses to OSX when I went back to Mac.

tickerguy
595 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Feb 03, 2013 17:58 |  #4

The computer has nothing to do with the color space you're working with. The monitor does, but the computer does not.

I prefer the PC environment, others prefer the Mac. Buy what you're comfortable with.

Canon 7D & 5d3, EF-S 15-85, 24-105L, 70-200L f/4 IS, 100mm Macro/L, EF 50 f/1.4 and more

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 03, 2013 18:21 |  #5

Raw vs Jpeg, Canon vs Nikon, Ford vs Chev, Coke vs Pepsi...
Can. Worms. Open.
I've got the popcorn.
Who's bringing the choc tops and drinks

Regards, Phil
2013/14 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Aust. Accredited Photographer | 2008, '09, '10 South Aus. Rally Photographer of the Year | Catch Fence Photos - 2009 Photo of the Year (external link)Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office" | www.freewebs.com/philw​illmedia (external link)

R1200GS
377 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 04, 2013 15:57 as a reply to  @ philwillmedia's post |  #6

IMAGE: http://www.bmwbmw.org/forums/images/smilies/lurker.gif

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Feb 04, 2013 17:30 |  #7

tickerguy wrote in post #15568836 (external link)
Buy what you're comfortable with.

^^^ This.

Keep in mind that a Photoshop license (except for subscription version) is platform specific, so you can use it on either PC or OSX on one license (so you'ld need to cross grade to the OSX version of PSCS6 for Mac, which will only be free if you currently own PSCS6).

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

musashi
795 posts
Joined Jul 2010
Location: Winchester, CA / San Diego, CA / North Hollywood, CA

Feb 04, 2013 19:40 |  #8

René Damkot wrote in post #15572337 (external link)
^^^ This.

Keep in mind that a Photoshop license (except for subscription version) is platform specific, so you can use it on either PC or OSX on one license (so you'ld need to cross grade to the OSX version of PSCS6 for Mac, which will only be free if you currently own PSCS6).

I dont know about that, because I just bought LR4, installed it in my desktop pc as my primary photo editing, but also installed it on my macbook for whenever I need on the go. The setup disk is going to cater to both platform, when I bought it from BH they didnt even asked me which platform im gonna use it for.

“You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.”

--==Gear List & Feedback==--

Jon_Doh
874 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 05, 2013 10:06 |  #9

If you want to replace your computer every 12 to 18 months then get a PC. If you want to invest one that will last for years and still have the processing power to run your software years down the road then buy a Mac. Been in both camps and am speaking from experience.

I use a Kodak Brownie

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,349 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 05, 2013 10:13 |  #10

Jon_Doh wrote in post #15574827 (external link)
If you want to replace your computer every 12 to 18 months then get a PC. ..

Why are you replacing a PC every 12 months? Seems rather excessive to me. There is no differance between the PC hardware and the Mac hardware especially these days as they are all built around the same core set of hardware.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

HyperYagami
Goldmember
2,405 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 05, 2013 10:51 |  #11

the problem when people say "buy a PC" usually implies buying a pre-packaged one from Worst Buy, which usually (although of course not always) comes with mediocre components.

can last a whole lot (if not more) longer if building a PC yourself.

5D3 and a few lens
es.

gjl711
55,349 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 05, 2013 11:29 |  #12

Even a generic PC from Best Buy can last years. Though they do not sell many at the top of the performance curve, most are very decent machines which will run any software out there today. These days it seems as if only two criteria differentiate the two, price, you get more performance for your dollar in PC-land and OS, the Mac is the only machine to support their OS. All other things are pretty much the same.

Calicajun
Goldmember
2,931 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 05, 2013 11:34 as a reply to  @ HyperYagami's post |  #13

Has anyone built a computer that run both Mac and PC OS? Saw a mother board the other day that states it will run both full version of each OS, not just a software that allows you to run Windows on a Mac. Sounded like a good idea on paper. Any thoughts on building this type of computer system?

Remember, Stressed spelled backward is Desserts.:)
Suggestions welcome.
5DIII, EF 50 1.4, EF 40 f2.8, EF 24-105L IS , EF 70-200 f4L IS, 580EX ll

gjl711
55,349 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 05, 2013 11:36 |  #14

Calicajun wrote in post #15575108 (external link)
Has anyone built a computer that run both Mac and PC OS? Saw a mother board the other day that states it will run both full version of each OS, not just a software that allows you to run Windows on a Mac. Sounded like a good idea on paper. Any thoughts on building this type of computer system?

Isn't that just a dual boot PC?

Calicajun
Goldmember
2,931 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 05, 2013 12:02 as a reply to  @ gjl711's post |  #15

I'm not really sure, going by what I was read (after the wife found it:lol:) there is only one mother board on the market that can do run both OS. I know there is a Mac software that let you run Windows software on a Mac. Just wondering if it really make a difference in how well each OS would then work?:confused:

Asking because we are looking into buliding a new computer, instead of buying a pre-made time but have also been looking 27" Imac's.:confused:

Remember, Stressed spelled backward is Desserts.:)
Suggestions welcome.
5DIII, EF 50 1.4, EF 40 f2.8, EF 24-105L IS , EF 70-200 f4L IS, 580EX ll

sponsored links

2,819 views & 0 likes for this thread
Mac or PC?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.