Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 02 Feb 2013 (Saturday) 14:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help me spend my money on a tripod

madflea
108 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Feb 04, 2013 12:57 as a reply to  @ post 15570386 |  #16

I'm in the same boat as the OP (need new tripod, tall and even located in the same area :)) and thanks to TVPHOTOG's review of the Feisol 3441T I have found my new tripod.

Thanks to both of you!

sponsored links
cntangcn
67 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Feb 04, 2013 15:36 |  #17

I have FEISOL 3442 and love it. You can search my post if you are interested why I choose 3442 over 3441

5D MARK II, EF 24-105, EF 70 - 200 F4 IS, EF 50 F1.4, EF 40 F2.8, ZE 50mm MP, EF 24 F1.4 Mark I, Leica R50F2, Canon G10, Canon EOS M with 18-55 kit, Canon FL58F1.2, 270EX flash, 430EX II flash. Manfrotto 055XPROB + Sunwayfoto DB-44, Feisol 3442 (No CC) + Sunwayfoto FB-36DDH2

mannyhan
328 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 05, 2013 13:40 |  #18

Interesting post about Gitzo vs Feisol
http://www.naturescape​s.net …s/viewtopic.php​?p=1361292 (external link)

Gear List

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 05, 2013 14:43 |  #19

mannyhan wrote in post #15575565 (external link)

I'm not sure how relevant much of it is five years later.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

Indecent ­ Exposure
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 05, 2013 15:49 |  #20

peter_n wrote in post #15567355 (external link)
As above; a Gitzo 2-series like the 2542L with a max height of 69" but only folds to 24" and weighs 3.1 lbs. A Markins Q10 would be a suitable head for it. The new Feisols have milled aluminum bases and are worth looking at.

Oh? Interesting. Milled apexes have been, imo, RRS's ace in the hole. There are quite a few upgrades RRS tripods have over Gitzo sticks, but milled bases is the number one. I've expected the high-end market to move over to milled bases, but it's great to see the mid-range go that route. That's impressive because, compared to casting, milling ain't cheap.

If true, that's a significant line item upgrade Feisol has over Gitzo and other Gitzo clones.

- James -
www.feedthewant.com (external link)
500px (external link)
Gear List and Feedback

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 05, 2013 17:29 |  #21

mannyhan wrote in post #15575565 (external link)

Not really relevant anymore though. Feisol's quality has improved leaps and bounds since then. You will have trouble finding a recent post about Feisol having quality issues.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

peter_n
Goldmember
2,454 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 06, 2013 07:28 |  #22

Indecent Exposure wrote in post #15576182 (external link)
If true, that's a significant line item upgrade Feisol has over Gitzo and other Gitzo clones.

I agree.

~Peter

mannyhan
328 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 06, 2013 20:41 |  #23

I've seen some complain about their quality few years ago with leg separation from the base and legs getting locked, of course nothing is full proof. I thought it was interesting article how not all CF tripods are manufactured to same quaility standard. IMHO RRS is hard to beat!

Gear List

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 06, 2013 20:55 |  #24

mannyhan wrote in post #15581222 (external link)
I've seen some complain about their quality few years ago with leg separation from the base

That was addressed by Feisol somewhere I can't remember, but they said the cause was use of an improper glue/bonding agent or something along those lines which was missed in QC, which has been fixed. Never saw anything about the legs locking up?

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

mafoo
Goldmember
1,503 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 06, 2013 20:59 |  #25

IMHO RRS is hard to beat!

Why?

Aside from the company videos on there tripods, its very hard to find real world reviews. I would not mind paying so much for a product, but before I do, I need to know why, and I just can't seem to find that answer.

-Jeremy
5D Mk II | SL1 | 24-105 f4.0L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS | S35 1.4 | 40 2.8 Pancake | Samyang 14 2.8 | 430EX II

TheFloridaShooter
713 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 06, 2013 21:46 |  #26

I have been dealing with Spencer at RRS for the last week. I guess you can say I'm sleeping on it, I have a hard time saying yes to a $3600+ order and still have to pay $60 for UPS Ground.

1Dx MKII | 1Dx | 5D MKIV | 5D MKIII | 5Ds r | 5Ds | 7D MKII | 7D | G16 | G3x | EOS M & M3 | 800 f5.6 | 600 f4 | 400 f2.8 | 300 f2.8 | 200-400 f4 | 100-400 f4.5 - 5.6 II x 2 | 70-200 f2.8 | 14 f2.8 II | 50 f1.2 | 50 1.4 | 85 f1.2 | 135 f2 | 24-70 f2.8 II | 11-24 f4 | 35 f1.4 II | Pentax 645Z | SMC Pentax-DA 645 25mm F4 AL | SMC Pentax-D FA 645 55mm F2.8 AL | Pentax 90mm f/2.8 D FA 645 Macro ED AW SR | SMC Pentax-D FA 645 200mm f/4 IF | SMC Pentax-D FA 645 300mm f/4 ED IF | SMC FA 645 400mm f/5.6 ED IF Lens

WSoxfan0129
320 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 06, 2013 21:49 |  #27

I second an earlier poster's suggestion of a 3 legged thing. I just ordered a 3 legged thing Jack. Here is the link for the specs (external link). They have a carbon fiber version of the same tripod, Eric, but the only difference is its slightly heavier, less than .5 lbs, weight. They extend up to roughly 7ft. I wouldnt put my camera at 7ft but it makes a great speedlight stand at that height and it goes all the way down to approx. 5" off the ground. They are also completely modular so you can tear them apart completely to clean them or replace an individual part if needed. They also come with a 5 year warranty which is reassuring. It also folds up to only 19"!

Fuji X-Pro 1 | X100s | XF 56 1.2 | XF 55-200| Fuji EF42 | Yongnuo 560 III x2 |

Indecent ­ Exposure
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 06, 2013 21:53 |  #28

mafoo wrote in post #15581267 (external link)
Why?

Aside from the company videos on there tripods, its very hard to find real world reviews. I would not mind paying so much for a product, but before I do, I need to know why, and I just can't seem to find that answer.

There were a few really thorough reviews, linked in the RRS Tripod thread, that showed vibration numbers and such. Comparing the TVC-33 to a 5-series Gitzo and the TVC-33 was superior in all aspects that affect IQ. It was a resourced blog so good luck googling it - just check out that thread.

That, and if you ever held one beside a Gitzo, the quality difference is apparent.

- James -
www.feedthewant.com (external link)
500px (external link)
Gear List and Feedback

peter_n
Goldmember
2,454 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 07, 2013 13:21 |  #29

IMHO RRS is hard to beat!

mafoo wrote in post #15581267 (external link)
Why? Aside from the company videos on there tripods, its very hard to find real world reviews. I would not mind paying so much for a product, but before I do, I need to know why, and I just can't seem to find that answer.

Well, first there are many very brief but positive reports from the company's customers, of which the top quote is typical. Normally the internet seems to be top heavy with product complaints, but in the case of RRS the reverse is the case. I have read of a few failures of RRS equipment but generally these are accompanied with a description of how the company acted very quickly to make the customer happy.

Second you have the phenomenon of "if it costs this much it has to be good". This perception is not to be underestimated whatever product you're buying. Of course it's not always true, but it is a pervasive belief.

I have no idea whether or not RRS actively solicits reviews but they probably don't. They only sell out of their own facility and exhibit at one or two photo shows a year, and they have no 3rd party distribution system. There are reviews of Gitzo tripods all over the place but Gitzos are widely distributed and sold in stores so you can go into a store and try one out with your own camera. It's actually quite frustrating that you can't do this with a RRS tripod.

I've never even seen a RRS tripod but if my main tripod breaks I'm likely to replace it with a RRS equivalent and try it out briefly. If I decide not to keep it I'll return it at my own cost or sell it on. I have three RRS products; a 3-series leveling base, an L-plate for my NEX-7 and a lever clamp. All have good construction and work well.

~Peter

mafoo
Goldmember
1,503 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 07, 2013 13:57 |  #30

peter_n wrote in post #15583560 (external link)
Well, first there are many very brief but positive reports from the company's customers, of which the top quote is typical. Normally the internet seems to be top heavy with product complaints, but in the case of RRS the reverse is the case. I have read of a few failures of RRS equipment but generally these are accompanied with a description of how the company acted very quickly to make the customer happy.

Second you have the phenomenon of "if it costs this much it has to be good". This perception is not to be underestimated whatever product you're buying. Of course it's not always true, but it is a pervasive belief.

I have no idea whether or not RRS actively solicits reviews but they probably don't. They only sell out of their own facility and exhibit at one or two photo shows a year, and they have no 3rd party distribution system. There are reviews of Gitzo tripods all over the place but Gitzos are widely distributed and sold in stores so you can go into a store and try one out with your own camera. It's actually quite frustrating that you can't do this with a RRS tripod.

I've never even seen a RRS tripod but if my main tripod breaks I'm likely to replace it with a RRS equivalent and try it out briefly. If I decide not to keep it I'll return it at my own cost or sell it on. I have three RRS products; a 3-series leveling base, an L-plate for my NEX-7 and a lever clamp. All have good construction and work well.

Thanks for this. However I should have stated what I meant better. I have no doubt whatsoever, that an RSS tripod is an exceptional piece of equipment. However this is true about Gitzo as well.

The RSS TVC-33 is $925.00. The Gitzo GT2532S (the closest thing I can find to it), is $669.98.

Why should I pay $250 more for the RSS? I am not saying I should not, I just have yet to hear a good answer as to why I should. Does it perform better? About the only answer I have gotten that makes sense, is there customer service is better. While that's true, the customer service of the store I can return a local product to for replacement (or who has parts on hand) makes up for that.

Not being argumentative. But if I buy it I want to say to myself "yea, it cost $250 more, but I get xyz for that premium".

Trying to figure out what xyz is.

-Jeremy
5D Mk II | SL1 | 24-105 f4.0L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS | S35 1.4 | 40 2.8 Pancake | Samyang 14 2.8 | 430EX II

sponsored links

5,691 views & 0 likes for this thread
Help me spend my money on a tripod
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.