Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 04 Feb 2013 (Monday) 09:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

CS5 adding Fringing and other junk... Can this be avoided?

Rimmer
Goldmember
1,414 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 05, 2013 07:46 |  #16

sticknpuck wrote in post #15573864 (external link)
1. SD card inserted into PC
2. LR4 opens to import
3. RAF files imported into LR4
4. Open Adobe DNG converter and convert files in that folder
5. Synchronize folder in LR4

Why these steps? Why not just import directly into Lightroom as DNG?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Ace Rimmer -- "What a guy!"
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast." ;)

sponsored links
tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,475 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Feb 05, 2013 07:57 |  #17

Rimmer wrote in post #15574439 (external link)
Why these steps? Why not just import directly into Lightroom as DNG?

Or forget about the DNG, you're not getting any advantage from it. In fact it is limiting you because in ACR you are using PV 2010. Edit the RAF in LR4 and send a psd (or tif, little difference between them) to PSCS5 with Edit In....

Elie / אלי

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,839 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 05, 2013 09:18 |  #18

I think you will get the impression that your workflow is unnecessarily tortuous - use LR4 to convert to TIFF and open that in PS to continue editing. You can squelch the CA and purple fringing in LR4 - you need to enable these corrections, though.

Also - your file sharing website does not work. I cannot get past "Connecting to Sender". Did we POTN freaks crush your permitted bandwidth limits? :)

kirk

Kirk
---

sticknpuck
THREAD ­ STARTER
205 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 05, 2013 12:48 |  #19

Wow - thanks for all the responses guys.

Yes - the workflow is not great. I've only had this cam for a short while and because adobe has only recently added support for these files to ACR (in CS6 only which I don not have), I have to use the DNG format to make them useable in CS5. This is all new to me coming from the 60D which had no issues working between LR4 & CS5.

The reason I was not importing as DNG was I thought it would throw the RAF file out after import which I didn't want to do. But I do see now that it will not remove the original RAF file. :oops: I watched a couple vids on adobe's site about the DNG converter and that looked like the way to go. Apparently not.

I'll try a few of the suggestions tonite when I get home.

The fileshare was some free utility I found that has to remain open while being downloaded. I left it open for a while but shut it down after Redcrown's response.

Matt
flickr (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 05, 2013 13:27 |  #20

sticknpuck wrote in post #15575370 (external link)
Wow - thanks for all the responses guys.

Yes - the workflow is not great. I've only had this cam for a short while and because adobe has only recently added support for these files to ACR (in CS6 only which I don not have), I have to use the DNG format to make them useable in CS5. This is all new to me coming from the 60D which had no issues working between LR4 & CS5.

The reason I was not importing as DNG was I thought it would throw the RAF file out after import which I didn't want to do. But I do see now that it will not remove the original RAF file. :oops: I watched a couple vids on adobe's site about the DNG converter and that looked like the way to go. Apparently not.

I'll try a few of the suggestions tonite when I get home.

The fileshare was some free utility I found that has to remain open while being downloaded. I left it open for a while but shut it down after Redcrown's response.

Go back over the last few responses -- you don't need to use the DNG format since you can do all your Raw processing in Lightroom and then if you do need to use the Photoshop editor, it's simple to just use the Edit in Photoshop function, which creates a tiff or psd "copy" that is incorporated into the Lightroom library, or, if you prefer, you can Export from Lightroom and use the Open in Photoshop option available down in the Post-Processing section of the Export dialog.

The only reason for using the DNG format is if you want/need to open a file in Camera Raw, but Lightroom has the same tools and they have been improved over older versions of Camera Raw/Lightroom. So if I were you I'd simplify your workflow until you actually need DNG! That's my opinion, although I'm not a DNG user...others may differ:)!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,475 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Feb 05, 2013 13:40 |  #21

sticknpuck wrote in post #15575370 (external link)
I have to use the DNG format to make them useable in CS5.

Built into LR4 you have a version of ACR (called Process Version 2012) that is miles ahead of the old version (P.V. 2010) that is in LR3 and PSCS5. It makes no sense (IMO) to use P.V. 2010 when you have P.V. 2012, but if you are so enamored of the old one, LR4 will do P.V. 2010 also.

Elie / אלי

sticknpuck
THREAD ­ STARTER
205 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 05, 2013 13:41 |  #22

tonylong wrote in post #15575516 (external link)
Go back over the last few responses -- you don't need to use the DNG format since you can do all your Raw processing in Lightroom and then if you do need to use the Photoshop editor, it's simple to just use the Edit in Photoshop function, which creates a tiff or psd "copy" that is incorporated into the Lightroom library, or, if you prefer, you can Export from Lightroom and use the Open in Photoshop option available down in the Post-Processing section of the Export dialog.

The only reason for using the DNG format is if you want/need to open a file in Camera Raw, but Lightroom has the same tools and they have been improved over older versions of Camera Raw/Lightroom. So if I were you I'd simplify your workflow until you actually need DNG! That's my opinion, although I'm not a DNG user...others may differ:)!

I think you've missed the part where I explained that Edit in Photoshop function from lightroom will NOT open the file in CS5. ACR does the conversion from RAF to psd/tiff when using the edit in photoshop function.

**You must have the latest version of ACR but I do not have it. You must have CS6 for ACR to get this file support. **

This is because ACR converts the RAF file into a PSD/Tiff for use in CS5 which it cannot do. This is why I was trying DNG. Adobe makes DNG sound like it's almost as good as raw but more universally accepted.

I can make all the color correction and raw processing in LR4 and then export to JPG and open in CS5 from there, but is this the best way to edit in the least destructive way possible?

Matt
flickr (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 05, 2013 14:01 |  #23

sticknpuck wrote in post #15575572 (external link)
I think you've missed the part where I explained that Edit in Photoshop function from lightroom will NOT open the file in CS5. ACR does the conversion from RAF to psd/tiff when using the edit in photoshop function.

**You must have the latest version of ACR but I do not have it. You must have CS6 for ACR to get this file support. **

This is because ACR converts the RAF file into a PSD/Tiff for use in CS5 which it cannot do. This is why I was trying DNG. Adobe makes DNG sound like it's almost as good as raw but more universally accepted.

OK, I guess I forgot that detail. It's odd, though, that LR4 can open/process the Raw file but can't do Edit in Photoshop CS5. Even though the Camera Raw in CS5 is older, I've always been able to do a direct Edit In from Lightroom.

However, it is true that some functions are not available with the latest "official releas" of Camera Raw for CS5. For example, opening as a Smart Object was not available and also opening multiple files for blending/panoramas/HDR was not available as I recall.

After some "googling" I discovered a "fix", though! Camera Raw has an "unofficial release", in that they didn't put it out as an automatic upgrade, but it does enable those "missing" functions. It is Camera Raw version 6.7.0.339 -- do a search for it and you can find the Adobe page to download it.

Give it a try and see if it helps with your Raw files. Maybe it will! Otherwise, I guess you are "stuck" with DNG!

I can make all the color correction and raw processing in LR4 and then export to JPG and open in CS5 from there, but is this the best way to edit in the least destructive way possible?

Well, if you want "non-destructive" then you can Export from LR as a tiff or a psd, and like I mentioned earlier you can specify "Open In Photoshop" as a Post-Processing option in the Export dialog. That's what I would do if I couldn't get Edit in Photoshop to work. I only export jpegs as a "final" version for sharing or printing.

Tony
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,475 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Feb 05, 2013 14:02 |  #24

No, the best way is to export to 16 bit psd or tif. As Tony said you can do it either with Edit in ... or through the Export function. Jpg is the best choice when you have to sacrifice data in order to save space, as in archiving. It is not a good choice for files that will be edited further.

ACR does the conversion from RAF to psd/tiff when using the edit in photoshop function.

No, LR does it, ACR isn't activated at all. And that is good because LR4 is better than the old version of ACR you are using now.

Elie / אלי

sticknpuck
THREAD ­ STARTER
205 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 05, 2013 14:23 |  #25

tonylong wrote in post #15575670 (external link)
OK, I guess I forgot that detail. It's odd, though, that LR4 can open/process the Raw file but can't do Edit in Photoshop CS5. Even though the Camera Raw in CS5 is older, I've always been able to do a direct Edit In from Lightroom.

Yes it is odd, but it's now fixed for CS6 users. I have always been able to do a direct Edit in from Lightroom as well - until using these Fuji RAF files! :mad:

tonylong wrote in post #15575670 (external link)
After some "googling" I discovered a "fix", though! Camera Raw has an "unofficial release", in that they didn't put it out as an automatic upgrade, but it does enable those "missing" functions. It is Camera Raw version 6.7.0.339 -- do a search for it and you can find the Adobe page to download it.

I have tried the latest releases of Camera Raw but because I am not a CS6 owner I am not eligible to install the latest version. I found the notes for that release but notice the Fuji X-E1 is not included in the update. I don't think it will solve the problem.

tzalman,

**Edit in Photoshop function from lightroom will NOT open the file in CS5. You must have the latest version of ACR but I do not have it. You must have CS6 for ACR to get this file support. **

Lightroom uses the latest version of ACR but CS5 does not therefore it will not allow Edit in Photoshop function to work. I have tried both tiff and psd.

I have not tried to export tiff /psd from LR4 and then open in Cs5 but I don't imagine it will work if the Edit in function doesn't work.

Thanks again for all responses.

Matt
flickr (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 05, 2013 14:31 |  #26

Did you note what I said about the "special" version of Camera Raw for CS5? What version of Camera Raw do you have installed?

Tony

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,475 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Feb 05, 2013 14:33 |  #27

Lightroom uses the latest version of ACR but CS5 does not therefore it will not allow Edit in Photoshop function to work. I have tried both tiff and psd.

That seems very strange when I can hit Edit In and and open a psd in PSCS2 which has an ancient version of ACR. That is the way I got the psd in Post # 8.

I have not tried to export tiff /psd from LR4 and then open in Cs5 but I don't imagine it will work if the Edit in function doesn't work.

The exported psd is like any other psd. PS doesn't care where it came from.

Elie / אלי

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 05, 2013 14:33 |  #28

sticknpuck wrote in post #15575766 (external link)

Thanks again for all responses.

Hmm -- when you do the Export, it will export as a tiff or psd, meaning that it should indeed open in CS5, since it bypasses the Camera Raw processing.

So, get back to me about your version of Camera Raw, and also try the Export thing. Until you try those two things, well, I have nothing more to contribute, I'll wait until you've tried them!

Tony

sticknpuck
THREAD ­ STARTER
205 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 05, 2013 14:44 |  #29

tonylong wrote in post #15575810 (external link)
Did you note what I said about the "special" version of Camera Raw for CS5? What version of Camera Raw do you have installed?

I know it's "special" but it also makes no mention of Fuji X-E1 support. Not special enough for me i'm afraid. I'm not at home so i'll have to check my version.

Believe me guys I know it's all strange but this has all started since using these RAF files. I have been a LR/CS user for 3 years without issue. Edit in function was my workflow too.

Tzalman, CS2 is old but ACR is still updated with whatever version of the latest CS you own. Let me guess CS6?

Will try the suggestions tonight and report back. Enjoy the rest of your day. ;)

Matt
flickr (external link)

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,475 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Feb 05, 2013 14:47 |  #30

Tzalman, CS2 is old but ACR is still updated with whatever version of the latest CS you own. Let me guess CS6?

Nope, only PSCS2.

Elie / אלי

sponsored links

2,766 views & 0 likes for this thread
CS5 adding Fringing and other junk... Can this be avoided?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.