Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 03 Feb 2013 (Sunday) 06:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Jobs In Motorsport Photography

JacobPhoto
Goldmember
1,434 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Feb 05, 2013 01:13 |  #16

phoenixheat wrote in post #15572665 (external link)
AHEMMMM... Should've messaged me. In the future, if you need someone to cover for you and what I would assume is PAS Mag or Urban Racer I would've happily handled it. Obviously I'd need to know ahead of time for events I don't plan on attending.

Anyways, my 2 cents. Shooting for a team is difficult, and even then you're not always going to have your media credentials approved. Media is media, and does not mean team photographer. I myself have also struggled with finding clients for events, but probably because I just shoot all day rather than socialize and network with people at events. Aside from the drivers and the team managers I've specifically worked with, I'd be willing to bet that no one else really knows who I even am (maybe readers of Driftworks... in the UK lol).

What events are you attending this year? I'll likely need help this whole season if the things I'm working on pull through.

~ Canon 7d / 5D ~ Novatron strobe setup + Vagabond
~ Some L glass, some flashes, the usual

xchangx
507 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 05, 2013 09:23 |  #17

JacobPhoto wrote in post #15572488 (external link)
Here's another suggestion: Shoot things that people aren't shooting. Panning while a car or moto rolls past you is one thing, but that's what everyone is shooting. Think outside the box, work outside the box. Shoot the pit stop. Shoot the team manager talking to the crew chief. Shoot the driver talking on the grid to other drivers. Shoot the team's reaction as the driver crosses the finish line. Shoot the drivers signing autographs for fans. Those are images that others aren't thinking about that will make you stand out.

Also, focus at working under deadline. Get your images uploaded within 24 to 48 hours, preferably well captioned. Even if it's on your own blog. Add results and details (date, location, track name, etc) to the post. This is information that is far more valuable than "hey, here's some sweet pics I took at the track". One person who's generally good at this is Mark Rebilas - http://markjrebilas.co​m/blog/ (external link)

So true. Last year, my role changed and I actually missed several competitions, but still had committed event coverage to people. I tried to pay some people to provide me coverage and most of them couldn't fulfill what I needed. I was even offering cash money! Yet they were all too busy being hobbyists and hanging out with their friends in the media pit than shooting the important non-racing aspects of the event. Think outside the start and finish, capture the event.

For the racing circuit I cover, I needed 3 to 7 shots with multiple competitors in the photo, a podium shot that included the winner (either hoisting the trophy or spraying champagne preferred), and 3-5 other images (grid girls, crews working on the cars, etc). All needed to be uploaded in full res within 72 hours of the end of the race. I offered multiple photographers, and only 1 was able to fulfill my needs in a timely manor.

Good lord, 72 hour deadline? And they still couldn't meet it?! Wow...

Let me know if you need any help with anything.

Nikon D4s / 2x D3s / D3 / 17-35 2.8 / 70-200 2.8 / 600 f4
Freelance sports photographer for Getty Images Sports, Entertainment and News
Freelance sports photographer for Sports Illustrated
My Images with Getty (external link)
My Sportsshooter Page (external link)
My Website (external link)

JacobPhoto
Goldmember
1,434 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Feb 05, 2013 14:56 |  #18

xchangx wrote in post #15574691 (external link)
Good lord, 72 hour deadline? And they still couldn't meet it?! Wow...

Let me know if you need any help with anything.

I'd love to offer you something if I knew where in the world you lived.

xchangx
507 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 05, 2013 18:48 |  #19

JacobPhoto wrote in post #15575927 (external link)
I'd love to offer you something if I knew where in the world you lived.

Ha! I'm in Alabama, but can travel.

Nikon D4s / 2x D3s / D3 / 17-35 2.8 / 70-200 2.8 / 600 f4
Freelance sports photographer for Getty Images Sports, Entertainment and News
Freelance sports photographer for Sports Illustrated
My Images with Getty (external link)
My Sportsshooter Page (external link)
My Website (external link)

JacobPhoto
Goldmember
1,434 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Feb 05, 2013 22:28 |  #20

xchangx wrote in post #15576819 (external link)
Ha! I'm in Alabama, but can travel.

you should put that in your profile.

I'll drop you a message.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

6,787 views & 0 likes for this thread
Jobs In Motorsport Photography
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.