Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 10 Jul 2012 (Tuesday) 11:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Light shoulder bag for 5D MKII + laptop... any advice?

2mnycars
Goldmember
3,035 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 11, 2012 09:02 |  #16

Some bags are good for protecting gear, and hard to shoot from. They're like packing cases. ;-)a
Other bags are easy to shoot from, and make carrying gear easy. Shooter's bags.

I want protection from weather. I don't need a lot of padding, though I have bought many well padded bags in the past. Usually they stay unused, because I can't get my camera out and working quickly enough.

Shooter's Bags?
Domke for me. I don't know which one would carry your laptob though...Jon will know!
Buy a Domke? Improve it with a Domke Postal Pad on the strap. It's so good, they should include it.

Messenger bag?
I have bought the Tenba Large Messenger. It'll carry a laptop easily. Better than carrying a camera in my opinion. Frankly I find it to be a great briefcase; it doesn't suit me as a camera bag unless I'm carrying a smaller camera. (Canon G series for instance.) There was very little difference in size/weight between the small Messenger and Large Messenger when I bought. Long as we're talking the same bag...

Think Tank Retro? I don't know which one would carry your laptop. So I'm not much help.

Lots of choices. Probably you have different ones in your market. And they may be priced differently than I see in Canada.

Shoulder Bags?
Billingham? Probably one that will carry your laptop and camera gear. My favourite bag now is my Billingham Hadley Pro. It'll carry an ipad handily, but suspect not a laptop. The larger bags get very expensive....
Warranty?
Best warranty I've found? LowePro. They've fixed problems instantly, and didn't require me to ship back my stuff for them. Think Tank is probably as good... Tenba warranty sucked when I needed it (because of the vendor; Vistek in Toronto.) A POTN friend finally had success with a warranty claim...with Domke. Good news, they replaced a bag

Dave

sponsored links
tangfj
85 posts
Joined May 2011

Jul 12, 2012 02:48 |  #17

for #2 check out Incase Ari Marcopoulos bag (http://goincase.com/ar​i/ (external link))

i would also recommend any of the thinktank urban disguise bags... i have the UD 35 v2.0

i have both above bags and i feel they would both fit what you're looking for in #2

5D MkIII | 16-35L II | 35L | 40 pancake | 50L | Sigma 85 1.4 | 70-300L | 430ex II | 270ex

billy_boy
THREAD ­ STARTER
127 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 12, 2012 07:14 as a reply to  @ tangfj's post |  #18

Hi thank you all for your replies.

For the small bag, I will go for the 5MDH, I think it's a cute and stylish little bag. Hehe, and it's great to know that what I intend to carry will fit.

For the commuting bag (laptop + limited set of 5D+1lense), I'm hesitating between the UD50 or the Timbuk2.
- The look of the tumbuk2 is great, it seems very solid and I could use it when biking. However, there is no quick access (you need to completely open the bag to reach your camera, no zip for quick access...)
And the other issue is that I was not able to find a reseller in France. So I would have to order it on Timbuk website and pay for French taxes and custom fees.. This can become expensive
- The UD50 seems very nice also.. and compact! (i was suprised by its dimensions). So I may go for it. There is a reseller in Paris but ouch... 185€.. hehe

5DmkII / 17-40L / 24-70L / 35L / 50 1.8 / 85 1.8 / 70-200L f4 IS / 580ex II
My Flickr (external link)

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,092 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Jul 13, 2012 06:21 |  #19

Oh, is right! I think I have over $2,000 worth of bags myself and it's not just a little bag issue anymore. But welcome to our world of always wanting the right bag. :) Tell us what you decide.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

billy_boy
THREAD ­ STARTER
127 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 13, 2012 08:50 as a reply to  @ SuzyView's post |  #20

Hehe I'm facing an unexpected issue...

Crumpler does not provide the same set of products in each country... and the 5MDH is not available in France....

billy_boy
THREAD ­ STARTER
127 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 17, 2012 06:33 as a reply to  @ billy_boy's post |  #21

Hi guys,

just wanted to give an update on this thread.
I finally bought the Think Tank Restrospective 5 for the small bag, and I am VERY happy about it.

It is a very nice bag. Only downside is the weight. Apart from that, it is great : discrete, full of pockets, well padded.

It holds my 5dmkII with 35L attached, a 85/1.8 and a bunch of small items (memory cards, wallet, papers, etc.)

Perfect walk around setup !

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,092 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 17, 2012 09:07 |  #22

Thanks for the update and another satisfied customer.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

Paolo.Leviste
934 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 17, 2012 19:18 |  #23

billy_boy wrote in post #14705847 (external link)
- The look of the tumbuk2 is great, it seems very solid and I could use it when biking. However, there is no quick access (you need to completely open the bag to reach your camera, no zip for quick access...)
And the other issue is that I was not able to find a reseller in France. So I would have to order it on Timbuk website and pay for French taxes and custom fees.. This can become expensive

Actually, the quick access works -- just get some velcro silencers (covers the velcro already on the bag) and all you have between you and the camera is two buckles.

The snoop portion's top can also fold back into the bag (as mine is) so you can shoot out of the bag quite easily.

Sucks that it's not easily accessible though.

[Canon 5DII/30D | 24-70 f2.8L | Σ 30 f1.4 | Σ 50 f1.4 | 70-200 f4L | 580EX II ]
3.Hundred.6.SIX (external link)
SmugMug (external link)

billy_boy
THREAD ­ STARTER
127 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 05, 2013 16:32 as a reply to  @ Paolo.Leviste's post |  #24

Hi all,

I am replying to my own thread several months later hehe.
I am still looking for a bag holding a laptop and my 5DmkII+35mm everyday. Today, I am either using two bags, or I leave my laptop at home....

I have changed my laptop and now have a macbook air 13" (which is a great machine!).

Has anyone found the best solution?

I am looking at the Timbuk2 laptop messenger bag (Small size) with a Snoop insert. Anyone has tried this combo (which allows customisation :)) ?

Cheers
Romain

shibari
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Feb 05, 2013 18:16 |  #25

I'm in a similar situation (macbook air 13" + MKII) - the best solution that works for me is to have both a small camera bag (for one lens attached), AND a camera bag insert (for more gear). I can use these with any of my messenger or shoulder bags.

I use a Crumpler "Part & Parcel" laptop messenger as my daily commute bag, and pair it up with a Crumpler "Digits" camera bag.
If my messenger bag gets full or I need quick access to my camera, I can attach the camera bag to the outside of the messenger bag.
If I need to carry more gear with me, I'll use a camera bag insert.

mafoo
Goldmember
1,503 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 05, 2013 18:41 |  #26

Do you have a price restriction?

-Jeremy
5D Mk II | SL1 | 24-105 f4.0L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS | S35 1.4 | 40 2.8 Pancake | Samyang 14 2.8 | 430EX II

mafoo
Goldmember
1,503 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 05, 2013 19:20 |  #27

If money was no object for me, I would own one of these:

http://www.onabags.com …que-cognac#antique-cognac (external link)

$420 for a bag however, is a little pricey.

-Jeremy
5D Mk II | SL1 | 24-105 f4.0L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS | S35 1.4 | 40 2.8 Pancake | Samyang 14 2.8 | 430EX II

Joe300
519 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 05, 2013 20:11 |  #28

One of my many bags... Lowepro Exchange Messenger for DLSR Kit and Essentials. $30.00.
I have all the camera bags and my wife has all the shoes.....ha-ha...LOL

A lot of Canon gear=300D & 1Dmkiii, Lens and some studio gear,
WL x1600 etc.
Two Bronica SQ-Ai outfit too! 'Old School'
www.joelaroccaphotogra​phy.com (external link)

mag10
357 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Feb 05, 2013 20:39 |  #29

billy_boy wrote in post #15576344 (external link)
Hi all,

I am still looking for a bag holding a laptop and my 5DmkII+35mm everyday. Today, I am either using two bags, or I leave my laptop at home....

I have changed my laptop and now have a macbook air 13" (which is a great machine!).

I am looking at the Timbuk2 laptop messenger bag (Small size) with a Snoop insert. Anyone has tried this combo (which allows customisation :)) ?

Cheers
Romain

I noticed that someone mentioned Billingham bags earlier in this thread before you revived it. Did you get a chance to take a look at their bags? For a 5D and laptop, I would highly recommend the Billingham Packington. It is very comfortable to carry, relatively compact/slim, and can carry your 5D, laptop, 2-3 lenses (if you needed to), and a bunch of accessories. Take a look at the review I did a few weeks ago:
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1265861

It is on the pricier side and its styling is more classic (or some may call "old-man" style). But I'm a professional in my late 30's and I don't always feel right carrying a sporty/trendy messenger bag around town or when traveling. I had a Timbuk 2 Snoop messenger before, and while I really like its functionality, I felt that it looked a bit too sporty/casual in certain settings. Also, the Packington is actually more comfortable to carry, and made with more refined, yet still very durable, materials.

I don't know if they have retailers in Paris, but if you had to order from England, I imagine it wouldn't be too hard for you.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III | Sony DSC-RX100M3 | Canon EF 16-35 f/4 L IS USM EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM | Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM ART | Canon Speedlite 600EX-RT Dedicated flash ST-E3 RT controller

tgara
Goldmember
2,336 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 05, 2013 21:13 |  #30

billy_boy wrote in post #15576344 (external link)
Hi all,

Cheers
Romain

You should consider the Tenba Mini Messenger or the Tenba Discovery Mini. I have two of the Mini Messenger and can say without reservation that they are outstanding bags for carrying a camera, lens, flash, and a laptop or tablet. In fact, I use one for my office bag, apart from any camera gear.

I just got the Discovery Mini for Christmas, and it looks like a winner too.... it has an insert.

http://www.tenba.com …Black.aspx#Spec​ifications (external link)

EOS 5D Mark III
EOS Rebel SL1
Full Gear List

sponsored links

5,974 views & 0 likes for this thread
Light shoulder bag for 5D MKII + laptop... any advice?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.