Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
Thread started 19 Jan 2013 (Saturday) 20:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Website redesign

twicklund
113 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jan 19, 2013 20:28 |  #1

Hey all,

We redesigned our site. If you have a few seconds and don't mind spending them looking at yet another site, I would love the feedback.

Thanks so much.

www.wicklundphotograph​y.com (external link)
-tracy

Various Canon
http://www.readallablo​git.com (external link)

sponsored links
Hikin ­ Mike
Walkin' Like a Penguin Now!
6,352 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 19, 2013 21:14 |  #2

I don't mind the slideshow on your home page, but not on your Portfolio pages. I'd rather see a static display. On your About Us page, the thumbnail picture isn't loading.

Images in the Backcountry (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Google+ (external link) | Twitter (external link)
SEO for the Photographer (external link) | Creating HDRs Using Layer Masks (external link)
Canon 5D 17-40 Ճ/4L 300 Ճ/4L IS 70-200 Ճ/4L 50 Ճ/1.8 1.4x TC Օ Kenko Ext. Tubes

twicklund
THREAD ­ STARTER
113 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jan 20, 2013 08:30 |  #3

thanks mike! Fixed the about the page..

Various Canon
http://www.readallablo​git.com (external link)

Tessa
Playing with fire
1,806 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2008

Jan 23, 2013 03:15 as a reply to  @ twicklund's post |  #4

The way the slideshows move on my screen is very odd - they're not smooth, but sort of slow stop-and-go jerky. After about 15 seconds of watching I had to click away because I was starting to feel slightly nauseous.

BobDawg
261 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 24, 2013 23:08 |  #5

I'm not digging the panning slide show either. LikeTessa said, it's jerky but not to mention, time consuming to sit there and watch all the pictures. When my wife and I were looking for photographers we had alot to go through and if we had to sit and wait for things to load or we couldn't see larger pictures, or even notice that the wedding pictures were just detail shots, etc...we simply moved on.

One other suggestion with the contact information, give a name! I hated calling companies/people and asking who I have to talk to to learn more or set up a meeting. It's nice to say "is NAME there?" It makes it more personal/welcoming.

Pricing for wedding packages I know is hit or miss for some people. Some say post, some say don't. I know for us if we didn't see a price, we either thought a.) we can't afford them cause the price is too high and they don't want to post it. or b.) We don't want to have to go through the whole sales pitch and try to be 'sold' on something.

Other than that layout/colors are great, it's easy to navigate and easy on the eyes.

Canon 60D, Canon 10-22mm, Sigma 30mm 1.4, Tamron 17-50mm, YN-560 IV Flash (2)

bikfoto
Alexander the Wannabe
422 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jan 25, 2013 14:39 |  #6

I see you're using wordpress. Good job! Make sure you do some SEO on it, and you should be all set. The site is simple, easy to navigate. I think it's great for visitors to be able to use it freely and get all the info they need. I wouldn't change anything. Just rotate the front-page images every now and then.

bikfoto (external link)
Need a WEBSITE? (external link)
Gear & Feedback
flickr (external link)

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 31, 2013 17:18 |  #7

Consider revising "about us" and "contact us" to just "about" and "contact", it's cleaner and simpler.

And I don't see the reason for the image of the flower on the "about" page, plus it doesn't seem to fit the layout of the page at all it seems out of place sitting akwardly.

rivas8409
Goldmember
2,459 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 31, 2013 22:19 |  #8

I would revisit your "PROOFING" page. I imagine that page is for your clients, right? So I'm wondering why I can go in to Kelsey and Justin's gallery (just to name one) and see all their photos and buy any of them. I notice you have 2 of the galleries in there protected, why not all of them?

I know that as a client I wouldn't want my entire photo shoot available for anyone to see and buy. Even if I signed a release I wouldn't expect ALL my photos to be visible yet alone purchasable by anyone. I think perspetive clients may see this is and be put off and look for a photog who will keep thier photos private.

Other than that, I like the clean look of your site. I'm on the fence about the slideshow on the homepage because it's hard to focus on one photo until you stop it by hovering the mouse over it.

Body: Canon 5DmkII│50D
Glass: Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8│Canon 85mm f/1.8│Canon 24-105mm f/4L│Canon 135mm f/2L
Lights: Flashpoint XPLOR 400PRO│Flashpoint Streaklight 360│Flashpoint Zoom Li-on│AB800
Results: WEBSITE (external link)FACEBOOK (external link)

Naraly
221 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 05, 2013 22:25 |  #9

I really like the overall style, the font and simplicity, but I'm not a fan of the scrolling photos. It might be me, but it's not pleasant on my eyes. I think also the speed of the slide is what's not doing it for me personally, I would say either slow it down, or an idea I've seen that I really like is instead of scrolling images, have one by one appear (fade in, fade to the next one, etc). Especially with the simplicity and white background you have, I can totally imagine an image fading in, then fading out to white, and another one fading in, or just one fading on top of another.
I'm no expert, this is strictly from a "customer type" of view and just from me looking at a lot of photographer websites, and my personal taste..
If I were you I wouldn't add too many photos to the slide either. In a 5-10 second frame, you should want the initial image to appear again.
I'm not a fan of slides in the portfolio section, I really like when it's a gallery type and there's just thumbnails, and the photo pops up when clicked on, but doesn't go to a different page. That's just me though.. the slide is still nice. But maybe not for someone that's been looking at 10 different sites so far, and has more to go and quickly wants to find "the one".
Some people like not having to click to enlarge though...

Also, now it's not letting me go in the "portfolio" section. When I put my cursor over it the list comes down, but as I move down the "portfolio" button to click on an item from the list, the list goes away.

Overall very well :) sorry if I sound too picky, I'm just trying to list some different points of view.

Cheers,
Nora

-->Facebook (external link)Instagram (external link)<--

sponsored links

1,282 views & 0 likes for this thread
Website redesign
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.