Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 06 Feb 2013 (Wednesday) 00:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Which lineup would you choose?

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 06, 2013 00:17 |  #1

For landscape and some cityscapes, taking into account cost, and please give your reasons:

A) 17 TS-E, 24-105

B) 24 TS-E MkII, 24-105

C) 24 TS-E, 24-105

D) Samyang 14/2.8, 17-40, 24-105

Just curious as I'm choosing between these right now and would like to see what you would do personally :)

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

sponsored links
cdang
263 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 06, 2013 01:53 |  #2

A.

You could add a 1.4x extender to the 17 and get almost 24mm but you cannot do it the other way around. 24mm would be more useful but.

ZoneV
Goldmember
1,644 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 06, 2013 02:49 |  #3

Not the Samyang.
I have made a popular Adobe lens correction profiles for the Samyang 14 (external link), and used PTLens (which correction is based on my lens too) - and still water horizon is a problem.

Additional the build quality of the Samyang is bad - too much plastics.

DIY-Homepage (external link) - Image Gallery (external link) - Gear List

kawi_200
Goldmember
1,411 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Feb 06, 2013 03:44 |  #4

cdang wrote in post #15577995 (external link)
A.

You could add a 1.4x extender to the 17 and get almost 24mm but you cannot do it the other way around. 24mm would be more useful but.

You can use filters on the 24mm, but you can't without some jerry rigged modification on the 17mm TS-E........

After using the 24mm TS-E mk1 and knowing that the mk2 can rotate the fields (tilt and shift) individually, it makes me jealous. Although, maybe it is just me with New Lens Syndrome, but after I got the 24mm f/1.4L II, I haven't really touched the TS-E at all. Therefore, option C isn't as good as option B.

Option D gives the most versatility. Of the options, I'd be tempted to go with option D. But the 17-40L first and see if you really want/need the Samyang 14mm. Also, instead of the 24-105L why not go for a 70-200mm f/4L IS?

5D4 | 8-15L | 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS | 24L II | 40mm pancake | 100L IS | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS mk2 | 400mm f/4 DO IS

Sirrith
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 06, 2013 03:52 |  #5

Thanks for the replies so far.

cdang wrote in post #15577995 (external link)
A.

Thats true, I almost forgot about the 1.4x TC on the 17mm.

ZoneV wrote in post #15578043 (external link)
Not the Samyang.
I have made a popular Adobe lens correction profiles for the Samyang 14 (external link), and used PTLens (which correction is based on my lens too) - and still water horizon is a problem.

Additional the build quality of the Samyang is bad - too much plastics.

I don't really mind the distortion too much on the Samyang, largely correctable, and the little that remains will not affect me much. Nor does the use of plastics bother me in such a cheap lens, I don't intend on using it as a football!

kawi_200 wrote in post #15578119 (external link)
You can use filters on the 24mm, but you can't without some jerry rigged modification on the 17mm TS-E........

Therefore, option C isn't as good as option B.

Option D gives the most versatility. Of the options, I'd be tempted to go with option D. But the 17-40L first and see if you really want/need the Samyang 14mm. Also, instead of the 24-105L why not go for a 70-200mm f/4L IS?

Some good points there. I do realise the limitations of the 17 vis-a-vis filters. And yes, the Mk I 24 TS-E is not as good as the Mk II, but it is around half the price :) I did say taking $$ into consideration.

Indeed, option D is there simply because of cost and versatility, which usually dictates a lot of purchases! I know it will not win anything IQ-wise (except perhaps the 14mm in terms of sharpness) in comparison with the other choices. As to the 70-200 f4 IS, I already have one :D

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

Radek
96 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 06, 2013 05:26 |  #6

Option A seems to give the most. For cityscapes 24mm may be not wide enough (not mentioning interiors). I used to have ts-e 17 and it is truly an exceptional lens but quite expensive. If architecture is the priority I would not skimp here - there is simply no other lens there, that could give you comparable possibilities and performance.

6D + 5d2 + 24-70 2.8 + 70-200 2.8 IS II + 24 1.4 + 50 1.4
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/mrozku/ (external link)

snakeman55
Goldmember
1,223 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Feb 06, 2013 09:28 |  #7

A or D. Probably D.

-Adam
Wedding Photographers in Maryland (external link)
Gear

sponsored links

1,044 views & 0 likes for this thread
Which lineup would you choose?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.