Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 05 Feb 2013 (Tuesday) 07:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Portrait Professional software: worth it?

ExplicitSnow
449 posts
Gallery: 99 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Feb 05, 2013 07:25 |  #1

Anyone have any experience with Portrait Professional software?

Ive come across the program for $119.95, curious if it's worth it, or are there better programs out there within a reasonable price range?

Thanks

sponsored links
RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,912 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Feb 05, 2013 07:50 |  #2

ExplicitSnow wrote in post #15574383 (external link)
Anyone have any experience with Portrait Professional software?

Ive come across the program for $119.95, curious if it's worth it, or are there better programs out there within a reasonable price range?

Thanks

Hokey smoke, that's a lot. I haven't been to their website lately, but it's normally much cheaper than that.

It works effectively, it works as advertised.

A lot of people reject Portrait Professional because of the sometimes over-the-top before/after illustrations in their ads. That's like rejecting Mercedes because of the over-the-top driving they portray in their ads. If you don't want that much effect, just dial it down.

I have both Portrait Professional and Portraiture (which is the more expensive). I use Portrature much more often, mostly because it can be incorporated into Photoshop Actions.

Portrait Professional has the additional feature of "face shaping" to a calculated ideal standard that also puts many people off. Of course, you can switch that off as well. But there have been a few circumstances in which I've found it useful.

Those have been cases where my subject has suffered "angle of incidence error." Sometimes the camera angle can make a person's face look slightly weird, such as making the eye height look uneven. Portrait Professonal can very easily fix that.

It can also fix eyes that really are uneven. Take a close look at Anne Hathaway's eyes--her left eye droops downward. Portrait Professional will correct that. Or you can turn it off.

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 05, 2013 11:21 |  #3

RDKirk wrote in post #15574450 (external link)
A lot of people reject Portrait Professional because of the sometimes over-the-top before/after illustrations in their ads. That's like rejecting Mercedes because of the over-the-top driving they portray in their ads. If you don't want that much effect, just dial it down.

Portrait Professional has the additional feature of "face shaping" to a calculated ideal standard that also puts many people off. Of course, you can switch that off as well. But there have been a few circumstances in which I've found it useful.

I agree with both of these.

In my opinion, the "default" settings in Portrait Professional are way over-the-top, just too much. If left to its own devices the software will turn a portrait into a disturbing caricature - its "ideal standard" doesn't work for everybody. You might not notice if it's used on a stranger, but when used on a face you know, it gets more than a little weeeeird. I rarely use it, preferring to do most of my work in Lightroom or Photoshop. For skin cleanup, learn one or two processes for doing what you need, build an action or two that help you execute those processes, and skin work can be relatively painless.

Having said all that, I had a client a few months ago that wanted some face reshaping* and Portrait Professional made quick and easy work of it. I was careful to ONLY use the sliders that changed what I wanted to change, use them quite sparingly, and left all the rest turned off. The results were almost certainly better than what I could have accomplished with all the warp tools and the liquify filter, and definitely faster.

* Client: "This picture makes me look fat"
Nathan: "Honey, it ain't the picture that makes you look fat, it's the cupcakes and cheeseburgers"

....okay, I didn't really say that, I actually said,
Nathan: "Would you like me to make a few little tweaks, and see if you like it?"
Client: "Yes, see what you can do"
... and she was very happy with the results.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

328iGuy
Goldmember
3,567 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2004

Feb 05, 2013 21:02 |  #4

I would highly recommend checking out RadLabs ProRetouch 2.0. I've used both and always go to ProRetouch.

Canon 5D IV | Canon 6D | 16-35L III | 24-70L II | 17L TS-E | 70-200LII | 300 2.8 L

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 05, 2013 22:40 |  #5

I don't have either of the two packages mentions, but I will say that this question does get asked occasionally.

If you look at the bottom of this page in the Similar Threads section, you will note that your thread title has keywords that triggered a forum "mini-search", check out the results, read those threads!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

ExplicitSnow
THREAD ­ STARTER
449 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Feb 05, 2013 23:26 |  #6

Ok, well considering the above comments...ill stick with LR4 and learn the ins/outs of it...used it last night to take away some skin blemishes and brighten the subjects eyes to a more natural look...figure with more practice and knowledge of the program as a whole, it should be enough for my current needs

thanks for the opinions folks

Gizmo1137
960 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 06, 2013 08:29 as a reply to  @ ExplicitSnow's post |  #7

I would say if you do not have Photoshop and do a fair amount of portraits yes. Otherwise you can accomplish the same work in PS, so the added expense would IMHO not be worth it.

Best, Bruce

Oldschool1948
587 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2012

Feb 06, 2013 08:48 |  #8

I've used it, but I'm not a big fan. I now use Perfect Photo Suite which has modules for portraits, special effects, resizing, layers, and masks and tons of presets. It is kinda sorta like PS, but much cheaper and one can do some wonderful things with it.

I realize most people use PS and it is no doubt a much more powerful tool. LR and Perfect Photo Suite more than meet my needs. Perfect Photo Suite runs standalone or as a LR plug-in.

5DIII Gripped
AD360 | Canon 600EX-RT (x2) | 580EXII | L358
70-200 f4L IS | 24-70 f2.8L II | 50 f1.8 mk I | Tamron 150-600 G2
Canon Pro-10 Printer | Adobe LR6 | OnOne Raw

328iGuy
Goldmember
3,567 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2004

Feb 06, 2013 08:59 as a reply to  @ ExplicitSnow's post |  #9

smart-touches wrote in post #15578611 (external link)
Hey folks.....

Why go for lesser software (and I include lightroom in that too) when you can get photoshop CS2 as a full version for free directly from adobe?

http://www.adobe.com …/cs2_downloads/​index.html (external link)

you can get the creative suite which includes bridge for all you raw file import needs, and photoshop, the only professional standard retouch software. yeah it's an old version but it still beat all the other software hands down.

plus it's not hard to learn really, especially if you are in the UK and can attend my classes! ;)

www.smart-touches.com (external link)

CS2 has a TON of limitations, including not working with new plugins that are 64bit etc... hence the reason it is free! :lol:

Canon 5D IV | Canon 6D | 16-35L III | 24-70L II | 17L TS-E | 70-200LII | 300 2.8 L

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,912 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Feb 06, 2013 09:07 |  #10

Having said all that, I had a client a few months ago that wanted some face reshaping* and Portrait Professional made quick and easy work of it. I was careful to ONLY use the sliders that changed what I wanted to change, use them quite sparingly, and left all the rest turned off. The results were almost certainly better than what I could have accomplished with all the warp tools and the liquify filter, and definitely faster.

The first time you do that, it pays for itself. That's why professional auto mechanics have more tools than shade tree mechanics.

ExplicitSnow
THREAD ­ STARTER
449 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Feb 06, 2013 09:13 |  #11

RDKirk wrote in post #15578776 (external link)
That's why professional auto mechanics have more tools than shade tree mechanics.

This is true

sponsored links

2,998 views & 0 likes for this thread
Portrait Professional software: worth it?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.