Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 05 Feb 2013 (Tuesday) 20:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

If i were to buy one studio strobe ... which elinchrom one

mike ­ cabilangan
Goldmember
1,378 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 05, 2013 20:01 |  #1

i'd like to take pics of my kid at home.

I currently use speedlights to bounce and stuff (i like these because of the TTL)
or
optical strobes w/ shootthrough umbrellas (the bulb looking ones) but these are very limiting as they only have one power level and i have to adjust my settings and physically move the strobes.

I want to get one good light.

questions:
1) between the DLite RX and BRX ... which should i get?
2) which power rating 200/250 or 400/500?
3) will i be better off getting more speedlights?
4) what softbox should i get for my usage?

camera bag reviews (external link)
flickr (external link)gearLust

sponsored links
Pearlallica
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 06, 2013 07:54 |  #2

What aspect of using speedlights is limiting you? Your answer to your question can only be reached by examining what it is you want achieve for your photos in the end. You simply stated that you want to take pics of your kids, which is a little vague.

Do you want to take studio quality portraits, or are you simply wanting a different look for your candid photos? If you want to take portraits, do you need more power than your current speedlights are providing? Do you need faster recycle times? The list of questions can go on forever...

If you're certain the look of a softbox is what you want, there are made-for-speedlight options available on the market. You'll be maxing out the juice of your speedlights and will likely require a battery pack.

This elinchrom kit (external link) might give you some ideas of what direction to begin your search for better portrait taking equipment if this is the brand you're steering towards.

jonathan @ tlcphoto.com (external link) - pro wedding and portrait photog
5d2 5d3 50L 16-35 70-200 ElinchromRX600 580EX 600EX VIV285

mike ­ cabilangan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,378 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 06, 2013 08:22 |  #3

thanks for the reply, instead of failing to describe what i would like to happen ... here's the stuff i want to imirate
https://photography-on-the.net …p=15551450&post​count=3567
and especially stu's shots
https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=15481668&po​stcount=55

i'm sure i'll be too lazy to setup multiple modified lights ... that's why i wanted to concentrate on one good modified light (because i chimp too much when i use bounce, and that's with inanimate objects)

i want a direct but modified light ...

Mesmer
Goldmember
1,127 posts
Gallery: 100 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 06, 2013 08:35 as a reply to  @ mike cabilangan's post |  #4

You should be able to achieve results similar to the links you posted with your current gear. I've got speelights and have been able to get shots like those. Are you using your speelights off camera? And why are you bouncing them instead of using modifiers with them? Please explain your setup.

InstaGram (external link) Flickr (external link) | 5DmkIII | Samyang 24 1.4 | 35 2.0is | 100L 2.8 Macro | 16-35L F4IS | 24-105L | 70-200L 2.8 II | 300L 4.0is | E640 | Speedlites

Sylvester ­ XxX
Goldmember
3,508 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 06, 2013 10:04 |  #5

mike cabilangan wrote in post #15577073 (external link)
i'd like to take pics of my kid at home.

I currently use speedlights to bounce and stuff (i like these because of the TTL)
or
optical strobes w/ shootthrough umbrellas (the bulb looking ones) but these are very limiting as they only have one power level and i have to adjust my settings and physically move the strobes.

I want to get one good light.

questions:
1) between the DLite RX and BRX ... which should i get?
2) which power rating 200/250 or 400/500?
3) will i be better off getting more speedlights?
4) what softbox should i get for my usage?

600 RX - wider range of power, better build.

Otherwise BRX500, 250 may not be enough power in a bigger modifier.

Look at the Elinchrom Rotalux Softbox Octa 135 cm as well.

Consider using your existing flashes in a lastolite hilite

| My Gear | My Site (external link) | My Blog (external link) | My Facebook (external link) |My G+ (external link) |
| My 500px (external link) |My Tumblr (external link) | My Flickr (external link) |

Pearlallica
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 06, 2013 10:54 |  #6

I grasp what you're saying when you want a more controlled method to produce a direct, soft light source. There are so many modifiers and flash options out there that will do the job. As is the case for most people, budget should then become the next determining factor. Sylvester mentioned some great recommendations, but a single, soft light source doesn't need to come at such a high price tag. You could get a single D-Lite, two skyport receivers and use your speedlight to light your background. As for a modifier, you don't necessarily need elinchrom brand. You can mount one of these (external link) on a lightstand and shoot with it behind your shoulder and get a very even spread of light much like in the link you provided.

jonathan @ tlcphoto.com (external link) - pro wedding and portrait photog
5d2 5d3 50L 16-35 70-200 ElinchromRX600 580EX 600EX VIV285

FEChariot
Goldmember
4,422 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Feb 06, 2013 12:41 |  #7

Pearlallica wrote in post #15579143 (external link)
You can mount one of these (external link) on a lightstand and shoot with it behind your shoulder and get a very even spread of light much like in the link you provided.

The softlighter is a good idea, but I went with a Fotodiox 48" ex-pro octa box because I heard the softlighter eats up more power. It wouldn't be a problem if he bought a strobe, but I am able to get good shots with the 580EXII in the octa box.

His gear list shows him having a 580 and a 430 so he could just buy an off camera ETTL cord or some wireless triggers and place the 580 off camera in the modifier and have it fire the 430 at the background via the master mode of the 580. Actually he also has a 270EX2 as well. With some creative group slection, the 270 can only be group A, he could incorporate that as a third flash.

Canon 7D/350D, Σ17-50/2.8 OS, 18-55IS, 24-105/4 L IS, Σ30/1.4 EX, 50/1.8, C50/1.4, 55-250IS, 60/2.8, 70-200/4 L IS, 85/1.8, 100/2.8 IS L, 135/2 L 580EX II, 430EX II * 2, 270EX II.

Toneaero
225 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 06, 2013 13:15 |  #8

FEChariot wrote in post #15579532 (external link)
His gear list shows him having a 580 and a 430 so he could just buy an off camera ETTL cord or some wireless triggers and place the 580 off camera in the modifier and have it fire the 430 at the background via the master mode of the 580. Actually he also has a 270EX2 as well. With some creative group slection, the 270 can only be group A, he could incorporate that as a third flash.

+1

You can achieve the same look with your current speedlight setup to those links you provided. OCF with umbrella or 24" softbox and a small roll of seamless paper.

SilverHCIC
Goldmember
1,460 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Location: Swimming, cycling or running ... somewhere in California

Feb 06, 2013 13:23 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

Unless you plan on shooting outside, even a lower-powered DLite will be sufficient for your described needs. Outside, you need to have more power, deal with power/battery options, etc. But for what you have described, a 200 ws DLite will give you a reasonable amount of output, faster recycle time than you currently experience with your speedlites, and options for various modifiers. Start with simple umbrella type modifiers first, and move on to more sophisticated attachments as you perfect your lighting techniques and find a need for something different. A DLite is far more durable than a delicate speedlite, and you can set it up, move it around, adjust angles, swap modifiers/umbrellas, etc., etc., without the fear of abusing an expensive speedlite. The output range on a 200 ws DLite is ideal for shooting in small residential environments.

"It's easy to find your bike in transition when you're the last one out of the ocean ... it's no fun being lost at sea :rolleyes:."

stu46
Goldmember
2,227 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Feb 06, 2013 15:54 |  #10

You can always buy my RX600. :) I have a few modifiers that I can include.

flickr  (external link)

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,853 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Feb 06, 2013 16:04 |  #11

stu46 wrote in post #15580294 (external link)
You can always buy my RX600. :) I have a few modifiers that I can include.

If he buys your RX600, you'll need to give him a one-on-one lesson on how to set it up to get the lighting he was asking about. ;) :D

...Leo

stu46
Goldmember
2,227 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Feb 06, 2013 16:30 |  #12

I don't have any secrets. :)

First shot was with a DIY ProGlobe aka amateurglobe. It was 3' behind me and about 6' high. Shot with a 5DII and 135L wide open I believe.

2nd shot: 2 strobes behind for rim. 69" octa for fill and RF as main. Checked Flickr and looks like I shot it at iso50, f/2, 1/50". If I remember correctly, I used the 300 watt modeling lights at full power and fired the RF at minimum power (9ws).

flickr  (external link)

mike ­ cabilangan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,378 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 06, 2013 17:08 |  #13

i actually have umbrellas and lightstands, but they were used for the optical strobes ... so i will need to buy speedlight mounts to use the umbrella. i was just not happy with the optical strobes' power ... i wonder which has more power, the bulb type optical strobe or a speedlight. (well that and the fact i had to fix shutter speed and chimp the aperture)

stu, if only i was in the US :)

mike ­ cabilangan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,378 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 06, 2013 17:11 |  #14

how about BD's? i can keep those assembled even in the bedroom (won't need to take them down because of the size as opposed to big softboxes or umbrellas)

FEChariot
Goldmember
4,422 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Feb 06, 2013 17:18 |  #15

mike cabilangan wrote in post #15580569 (external link)
i actually have umbrellas and lightstands, but they were used for the optical strobes ... so i will need to buy speedlight mounts to use the umbrella. i was just not happy with the optical strobes' power ... i wonder which has more power, the bulb type optical strobe or a speedlight. (well that and the fact i had to fix shutter speed and chimp the aperture)

stu, if only i was in the US :)

You can get a cold shoe mount for $8 in US or a whole bracket for about $18 US with B&H prices.

Canon 7D/350D, Σ17-50/2.8 OS, 18-55IS, 24-105/4 L IS, Σ30/1.4 EX, 50/1.8, C50/1.4, 55-250IS, 60/2.8, 70-200/4 L IS, 85/1.8, 100/2.8 IS L, 135/2 L 580EX II, 430EX II * 2, 270EX II.

sponsored links

3,011 views & 0 likes for this thread
If i were to buy one studio strobe ... which elinchrom one
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.