Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 06 Feb 2013 (Wednesday) 12:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Dropped lens, now trying to sell.

Jelloneck
693 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 06, 2013 12:54 |  #1

I have a tamron 17-50mm 2.8 non VC that was dropped a couple feet. There is minor visual damage but nothing to the glass just the plastic. The lens is still sharp and focuses without issues on AF. The manually focus works however while rotating the focus ring I get some grinding. I'm actually looking to sell this lens to fund a different lens purchase. Trying to determine if I should get it fixed or sell as is. I've only had it a couple of years so the warranty is still good (not that they will fix it since I dropped it). Thanks, and any opinions on a fair asking price if sold as is.

Gear List/Feedback |Instagram (external link)|

sponsored links
ABTsolut
53 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Feb 06, 2013 13:10 |  #2

Try to get a rough estimate on how much for having it repaired. If the cost and hassle to do so discourage you, then sell as is!

Sorry, no idea on how much you could ask.

EOS 6D * 17-40 F/4L * 70-200 F/4L * 50mm F/1.8II * Vintage Mirage 70-210 Macro

kombisaurus
176 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 06, 2013 16:53 |  #3

I had a Canon EF 50 f/1.4 that was dropped causing damaged to the AF. I had it fixed (insurance) but the AF was a bit stiff and never really accurate after that. Optically it was still fine though.

I ended up advertising it through the classifieds (Gumtree, which is similar to Craigslist) and fully explained the problem.
I was happy to get $150 for it from a buyer who only needed a manual focus lens for video. He sent me an email a week later saying how happy he was with the lens, and I was also very happy to have it gone. Win-win.

The moral of the story: Just put it out there at a sensible price and see. One man's trash is another man's treasure. It might be a great find for somebody who never focusses manually but wants to save a few dollars. :)

Adrian Broughton
Commercial, Event and Wedding Photographer in Hobart, Tasmania.
BroughtonPhoto.com.au (external link)
BroughtonWeddings.com.​au (external link)
Visit My Blog at Blog.BroughtonPhoto.co​m.au (external link)

kombisaurus
176 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 06, 2013 17:01 |  #4

Looking on eBay, that lens seems to sell brand new for around $300 (and up) and second-hand auctions have completed for about $200-$260. People who are asking $280 or so are getting no bids.

I think if you asked just under $200 (say, $190) then it might sit there being ignored by some people for a while but then get snapped up when the right person comes along.

Adrian Broughton

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,181 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Feb 06, 2013 18:25 |  #5

you should see how much it is to get it fixed...no matter what you're losing money...if you send it in and see how much the cost is, and don't want to pay, but disclose it to whoever you're selling i'd expect to get $280- cost of repair...if you sell it as an unknown of how much the repair would cost, you're probably looking at a little over a hundred bucks...

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

chomish
Goldmember
1,917 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 06, 2013 18:35 |  #6

I would find out how much it would cost to repair first before giving it away very cheap because of this problem. Once repaired, you are going to get the full used price for it and won't have to sell it cheap and loose out.

I really don't know what you should ask for it since there really isn't a broken lens price list. I guess it would all depend on the amount of damage the lens has and if the buyer sees it as a big problem.

:) 5D-2 Mark ii :) 16-35 2.8L | 24-70 2.8L | 85 1.2 IIL | 70-200 f4 ISL | 70-200 2.8 IS IIL | 24-70 2.8L |MP-E 65 | 580EX, 430EX, MT24-EX | :p :p :p

kombisaurus
176 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 06, 2013 18:58 |  #7

chomish wrote in post #15580815 (external link)
I would find out how much it would cost to repair first before giving it away very cheap because of this problem. Once repaired, you are going to get the full used price for it and won't have to sell it cheap and loose out.

That can be a gamble. My lens *did* get repaired, and yet I still had to sell it cheap because the lens was not fully functional after the repair. In this case, getting it repaired was throwing good money after bad.

Also my local Canon authorised repairer charges $45 just for an estimate (refundable if you go ahead with the repair), so even just finding out costs money.

In my case I would have been better off selling the lens as-is. I could have still got my $150 for it without spending a cent. It was just fortunate that my insurance covered the repair cost.

Adrian Broughton

sponsored links

1,314 views & 0 likes for this thread
Dropped lens, now trying to sell.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.