Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 06 Feb 2013 (Wednesday) 12:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

anyone know of an online stock image price calculator for this (specific) need?

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,968 posts
Gallery: 148 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 06, 2013 12:01 |  #1

I have a specific need for which I need to set a price.

A new client is interested in using several of my images for greeting cards. The print runs will be between 1,000 and 10,000. They are asking for a quote on non-exclusive usage.

I have spent hours looking for a price calculator, but nothing I have found online fits this particular type of usage. There is a lot of info out there about pricing for editorial use. Or pricing for magazine publication. Or use in textbooks. Or in annual reports. But I have not been able to find anything that specifically addresses greeting cards.

I want to respond to this client before the close of business TODAY, because that is the professional thing to do. But I have no idea how to price this, and no idea about any of the terminology that is usually used in such contractual agreements.

If the client is not sure how many cards he will make, and the run could be as small as 1,000 cards, or as large as 10,000 cards, then how do I set up a pricing structure that allows for variables in the size of the run? How will I ever know how many cards he actually prints and sells? Do I just trust him to be honest with me when providing the figures? Or is there some way to write a contract that will ensure me access to the real sales figures?

Any help would be appreciated.

PS: I do know about PhotoQuote (or is it FotoQuote?) - but I am not going to pay to subscribe to a service that I will only use once. I am looking for online resources that will not cost me anything.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

JasonMK
Goldmember
1,377 posts
Gallery: 75 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 06, 2013 13:06 |  #2

I'm just an amateur who has been lucky to license a few stock photos, so take my advice with as much salt as you'd like to add.

The quick answer is what amount would you be comfortable with? I know there may be a "right" price out there, but your customer may think that is too high or too low anyways. What would YOU like to receive for the non-exclusive right to your image? And would you want more if he prints more?

How will I ever know how many cards he actually prints and sells? Do I just trust him to be honest with me when providing the figures? Or is there some way to write a contract that will ensure me access to the real sales figures?

Take it from Peter Jackson and his experience with the LOTR trilogy, get a firm number up front and let your customer deal with the number of cards he sells. You'll never know. Pick a fee and be done with it. If you want to tell your customer fee #1 for 1,000 cards or fee #2 for 10,000 cards or more that's fine, but I'd avoid having to rely on your customer keeping track of the number of cards they print and sell (which they will) and then remembering to square away with you for the number of units they move (which likely they won't).

Hope that helps. And congrats on the opportunity.

-JasonMK on Flickr (external link)
1Ds Mark III | 650D | EF 17~40mm 4L | EF-S 18~135 STM | EF 50mm 1.4 | EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro | Tamron 70~300mm 4.0-5.6 Di VC USD XLD | 430 EX III | 430 EX II | Lowepro SlingShot 100 AW | EF 25 II | PS CC | LR CC

xchangx
507 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 06, 2013 15:38 |  #3

fotoQuote shows $700

Usage: Advertising (Print), Postcard Size/Units/Time: Major front Circulation/Market/Tim​e: Up to 5,000 Region: United States Rights/Exclusivity: One-Time Non-Exclusive License Duration: 1 Year unless otherwise indicated above

Nikon D4s / 2x D3s / D3 / 17-35 2.8 / 70-200 2.8 / 600 f4
Freelance sports photographer for Getty Images Sports, Entertainment and News
Freelance sports photographer for Sports Illustrated
My Images with Getty (external link)
My Sportsshooter Page (external link)
My Website (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I am a little creepy"
13,968 posts
Gallery: 148 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 06, 2013 15:40 |  #4

xchangx wrote in post #15580231 (external link)
fotoQuote shows $700

Usage: Advertising (Print), Postcard Size/Units/Time: Major front Circulation/Market/Tim​e: Up to 5,000 Region: United States Rights/Exclusivity: One-Time Non-Exclusive License Duration: 1 Year unless otherwise indicated above

Michael, thank you so much for providing this information - I really appreciate it!
Do you "subscribe" to fotoQuote?

EDIT:
Checked out your website - a lot of great stuff! My 10 year old stepson can't believe you got to photograph Toby Mac!!! He's quite a fan!

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

xchangx
507 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 06, 2013 16:48 |  #5

Tom Reichner wrote in post #15580241 (external link)
Michael, thank you so much for providing this information - I really appreciate it!
Do you "subscribe" to fotoQuote?

EDIT:
Checked out your website - a lot of great stuff! My 10 year old stepson can't believe you got to photograph Toby Mac!!! He's quite a fan!

Photoshelter has a version of fotoquote built in, so I just plugged in a few numbers there.

As for Toby Mac, yeah, he's been around for a while. :)

Those were shots from Winterjam this year.

Nikon D4s / 2x D3s / D3 / 17-35 2.8 / 70-200 2.8 / 600 f4
Freelance sports photographer for Getty Images Sports, Entertainment and News
Freelance sports photographer for Sports Illustrated
My Images with Getty (external link)
My Sportsshooter Page (external link)
My Website (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

916 views & 0 likes for this thread
anyone know of an online stock image price calculator for this (specific) need?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.