Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 06 Feb 2013 (Wednesday) 12:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

6D vs 5D3, can't make up my mind...

this thread is locked
Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 06, 2013 19:42 |  #31

kouasupra wrote in post #15580660 (external link)
To me I rather have a 5D2 over a 6D just because its cheaper and isn't consider a entry level full frame camera. The only advantage I see that the 6D has is a little better AF system and better ISO control.

The 6D is actually a better camera than the 5DII despite being "entry level". I've used both. Also, the OP has said he wants wifi. There goes the price advantage of the 5DII, with the WFT-e4 IIA the 5DII costs more than the 6D.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

sponsored links
Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 06, 2013 19:44 |  #32

elitejp wrote in post #15580995 (external link)
Huh? the cheaper part i can understand the second half of your statement sounds a little ridiculous

The 6D is an entry-level camera, more like a full frame Rebel. It does not fall into the Prosumer to Pro category like the 5D II/III does.

Gear List

cputeq007
570 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 06, 2013 19:49 |  #33

Numenorean wrote in post #15581015 (external link)
The 6D is an entry-level camera, more like a full frame Rebel. It does not fall into the Prosumer to Pro category like the 5D II/III does.

LOL W. T. F. Apparently someone is taking Canon's marketing a little too closely to heart.

Can someone please enumerate how, exactly, a 5D2 is more "pro" than a 6D? Labels on a web page don't count.

I guess I always thought it was the photographer who was the pro, not the inanimate camera. Silly me!

Flickr (external link)
I own camera stuff

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 06, 2013 19:53 |  #34

Numenorean wrote in post #15581015 (external link)

Doesn't matter. Has better IQ.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 06, 2013 20:00 |  #35

cputeq007 wrote in post #15581033 (external link)
LOL W. T. F. Apparently someone is taking Canon's marketing a little too closely to heart.

Can someone please enumerate how, exactly, a 5D2 is more "pro" than a 6D? Labels on a web page don't count.

I guess I always thought it was the photographer who was the pro, not the inanimate camera. Silly me!

6D lacks the multi-select joystick and substitutes an inferior mechanism for it which makes it completely useless for working in fast paced situations.

Gear List

cputeq007
570 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 06, 2013 20:08 |  #36

Numenorean wrote in post #15581070 (external link)
6D lacks the multi-select joystick and substitutes an inferior mechanism for it which makes it completely useless for working in fast paced situations.

Both cameras lack any good AF point besies the center, making the lack of a joystick almost a moot point.

6D has AF down to -3EV and faster FPS than the 5D2. Surely "more pro" feature than the lack of a joystick! Wat are these, Ataris!?!? :p

Flickr (external link)
I own camera stuff

Don_T70
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 06, 2013 20:21 |  #37

My 6d is on order. Here is why I picked it over the 5d3.

- price. Lets face it, the extra $1000 is another lens (or a good chunk of one)
- size. I love the fact that the camera is smaller and I will be more inclined to take it with me. With the 40mm pancake it looks like a generic hand held on steroids.
- low light/IQ - This is what the 6d is all about. Looking forward to playing around with it.
- Wifi/GPS. Ok GPS is a mixed blessing. The wifi looks fun. I like geek toys. Being able to snap pics with my phone sounds awesome. At events it should be cool to take some quality pictures and be able to upload to facebook/a sharing site and let people see them right away is too cool.

Some ifs... I do want to shoot the airshow when it comes around. Will see how the camera performs. I will mount her on a tripod and the plan is to get the 100-400mm dust pump and see how it performs. Only time will tell.

That is the highlights. I haven't shot a SLR since my old T70 way back when. Looking forward to playing with the 6d.

Canon 6D. 24-105mm - 40mm Pancake - 20-35mm 2.8- 85mm 1.8 - 100-400L - Nifty 50

irishman
Goldmember
4,098 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 06, 2013 20:23 as a reply to  @ cputeq007's post |  #38

I guess I've declined from a budding "pro" to an advanced amature all in the course of downgrading from a 5D2 to a 6D!

6D, G9, Sigma 50 1.4, Sigma 15mm Fisheye, Sigma 50 2.8 macro, Nikon 14-24G 2.8, Canon 16-35 2.8 II, Canon 24-105 f/4 IS, Canon 70-200 2.8 IS, tripod, lights, other stuff.

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Feb 06, 2013 20:24 |  #39

Answer to initial question.
Go 6D.
When 5D mk IV comes out you will be disappointed sooner than later.

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

solepatch
Goldmember
1,202 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2012

Feb 06, 2013 20:28 |  #40

Not sure if serious or...

I am still completely confused by what the big deal with the joystick is. I regularly shoot on both a 6D(D pad inside of the back wheel) and a 7D(joystick). I don't find either method of point selection to be difficult, nor do I have any trouble switching back and forth between the two methods. It seriously is not a big deal at all.

Aaron
Canon 6D | 70D | Σ35 F/1.4A | Tamron 24-70 F/2.8 Di VC USD | 40 F/2.8 | 85 F/1.8 | 70-210 F/3.5-4.5 | Rokinon 14 F/2.8 | 430ex ii | YN-622C | Zoom H4N
Canon EOS M | 22 F/2 Pancake | C/Y Zeiss 50 F/1.4 t*

francis_a
238 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Feb 06, 2013 20:39 |  #41

LOL.

Canon should drop the 6D from this page -> Professional Imaging Products - EOS Cameras (external link). Reason for removal: Lack of joystick

Sorry OP just riding with the waves :D

Lowepro Flipside Sport 15L AW | Crumpler 6MDH | Lumiquest Quik Bounce 80/20

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 06, 2013 20:40 |  #42

Have you actually used a 6D? Because the AF point selection is just as fast as with a joystick...

-Tom
Flickr (external link)

amyandmark3
Goldmember
1,796 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 06, 2013 20:44 |  #43

Don_T70 wrote in post #15581150 (external link)
My 6d is on order.

Some ifs... I do want to shoot the airshow when it comes around. Will see how the camera performs. I will mount her on a tripod and the plan is to get the 100-400mm dust pump and see how it performs. Only time will tell.

Congrats on the purchase. I see no need for a tripod with that setup for that purpose. It's light weight (relatively) and easily hand holdable for things like air shows. The tripod will just be extra weight slowing you down. Just my 2 cents... enjoy the new setup!

Mark

tgara
Goldmember
2,336 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 06, 2013 20:53 |  #44

jocau wrote in post #15579586 (external link)
For months I've been wondering if I should get a 6D or a 5D3 and almost everyday my preference changes. I have a 550D (T2i) right now and I want to buy a fullframe camera because I'm not satisfied with the amount of noise I get when going higher than ISO800. I don't shoot so many pictures a year (about 1000-2000) so I'm having a hard time justifying the price of any of the mentioned cameras. However I'm a perfectionist who wants as little noise as possible and who wants the camera to really nail the focus so I can get really sharp images instead of images with focus errors in it.

Any full frame camera will give you noise improvements over your T2i. That's just simple physics.

The question is which to choose: 5D3 or 6D. I'd say for the amount you shoot and the subjects you shoot, the 6D is the better choice. The focusing system of the 6D is not as sophisticated as that in the 5D3, but you don't really need a system like the 5D3 AF. And, I bet it's better than what's in your T2i. If you are happy with the focusing on your T2i, the 6D will be at least as good and likely much better.

As for wifi, the 6D has wifi built in, but the 5D3 does not. To get around this, I use an Eye Fi card in the SD slot of my 5D3. I record JPGs on the SD card, and RAW on the CF card. The Eye Fi dumps the JPGs right onto my iPad or computer for instant viewing. It works great.

EOS 5D Mark III
EOS Rebel SL1
Full Gear List

gfspencer
179 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 06, 2013 20:58 |  #45

jrmy wrote in post #15579820 (external link)
I found the 6D too small, the GPS of little interest (and a battery drain), and the WiFi iOS app clunky and finicky, more of a gimmick.

I played with my son's new 5DIII over Christmas and I can say that it is a great camera. I can't think of anything wrong with it. However, I settled on a 6D because I wanted a travel camera. I like the 6D because it is small, because I like the idea of a GPS, and because it is less expensive than the 5DIII. (And by saving money on the 6D I was able to get the 50mm 1.2 lens.)

I disagree about the WiFi. It was easy to set up and it works great. (I just set it up and tried it out this evening.) That said, I won't use it very often because I seldom shoot from a tripod.

Canon 50D - Canon 7DII - Canon 6D - 16-35mm f/2.8L - 24-105mm f/4[COLOR="red"]L IS - 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS - 50mm f/1.2L - 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS - 100-400mm II f/4.5-5.6L IS - Extender EF 2x

sponsored links

110,732 views & 0 likes for this thread
6D vs 5D3, can't make up my mind...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.