Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 06 Feb 2013 (Wednesday) 19:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

USPS sucks....

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 06, 2013 19:43 |  #1
bannedPermanent ban

I guess it is not news. Well, I finally used my Ebay bucks to buy some 120 films and ordered it through Adorama. I am supposed to get the films today. I was home all day. I got my regular mails around 4:30pm and no package. According to the tracking#, my package was out on delivery this morning. By 7:30pm I checked my mails again. Nothing. After dinner I checked the shipping status again. It said that a notice was left and a delivery attempt was made at 6:30pm. I am like WTF. Now, I am supposed to get my package at the post office with a slip that I never got!!! F----king USPS. I bet the USPS truck driver got lazy and decided to call a day and not bother to do my route!!!! At least with UPS, they would attempt to redeliver. Now, my package is sitting at the warehouse sorting facility, which is not far from me.

FYI, the package was sent using first class mail. They can just drop it off. When did first class mail receive this special delivery shipment......

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
gibbit1
Goldmember
1,658 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Feb 06, 2013 20:20 |  #2

Yeah, nothing new here. A few weeks ago, I was also waiting for a package that was "out for delivery". When the mail truck pulled up, I was standing at my door because I knew I had to sign for it. He turned around in my driveway, put something in my mailbox, and drove off. I went to the mailbox and found a notice of "attempted" delivery! I was standing in the freaking door waiting for him!! He never even got out of the truck to "attempt" anything!

And they wonder why they're constantly losing business.

"Everything will be alright. I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
Gear: EOS 5DMKII; EOS 400D (infrared converted); Canon 24-105mm f/4 L; Sigma 17-35mm f/2.8-4 EX; Canon 70-200mm f/4 L; Canon 135mm f/2.0 L; Pentax SMC Takumar 50mm f/1.4 with EOS adaptor, Rokinon 14mm f/2.8; only enough knowledge to be a clear and present danger to society.
flickr (external link)

yonni
Goldmember
1,390 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Feb 06, 2013 20:25 |  #3

@TMS. Umm what probably happened that either the carrier mis-sorted the package in the truck and by the time he finished the route it was to late to remedy the situation so he or someone else just scanned it attempted so that it wouldn't show as an error, or he was told to curtail packages to get back to the office on time in order to not use double time. In either case you will probably get it tomorrow. Haha, damhik!!

As for you comment that "the USPS truck driver got lazy and decided to call a day and not bother to do my route!!!!"it is more likely that he was given too much work to do in a single day. Again, damhik.

John
5Dc. 40D 400 5.6, 300 f4 is, 200, 135, 35, 17-40, 24-105, 70-200 f4is Ls

TooManyShots
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 06, 2013 20:38 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

gibbit1 wrote in post #15581145 (external link)
Yeah, nothing new here. A few weeks ago, I was also waiting for a package that was "out for delivery". When the mail truck pulled up, I was standing at my door because I knew I had to sign for it. He turned around in my driveway, put something in my mailbox, and drove off. I went to the mailbox and found a notice of "attempted" delivery! I was standing in the freaking door waiting for him!! He never even got out of the truck to "attempt" anything!

And they wonder why they're constantly losing business.

Hehehehe...that's funny. :) Maybe the truck driver is not used to dealing with people.... I mean, don't they (Postal Service) go to extreme length in their hiring practices. I know a friend who used to work for the postal office. He told me if you even have any outstanding parking tickets (let alone misdemeanor charges), they don't even hire you.

Facebook (external link)

TooManyShots
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 06, 2013 20:39 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

yonni wrote in post #15581170 (external link)
@TMS. Umm what probably happened that either the carrier mis-sorted the package in the truck and by the time he finished the route it was to late to remedy the situation so he or someone else just scanned it attempted so that it wouldn't show as an error, or he was told to curtail packages to get back to the office on time in order to not use double time. In either case you will probably get it tomorrow. Haha, damhik!!

As for you comment that "the USPS truck driver got lazy and decided to call a day and not bother to do my route!!!!"it is more likely that he was given too much work to do in a single day. Again, damhik.

Let's hope they won't give me a hard time at the picking up counter tomorrow because I didn't have a slip.

Facebook (external link)

pdrober2
Goldmember
2,318 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 06, 2013 21:00 |  #6

TooManyShots wrote in post #15581214 (external link)
Let's hope they won't give me a hard time at the picking up counter tomorrow because I didn't have a slip.

take your ID that has your address on it

Fujifilm X-T1 | 23 | 27 | 56 | 90 | 55-200
Feedback

ntotrr
73 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 06, 2013 21:06 |  #7

it's not news to me. The postal service in my neighborhood is horrible. We live in a relatively small community by Long Island standards. I get the wrong mail delivered constantly. Packages that require signature are not delivered - the carrier does not get out of his truck. He always leaves the "attempted delivery" slip in the mail box. On one occassion I watched from door as the carrier delivered my mail into my mail box at the street. I walked out and waved as he drove off to the next house. In my mailbox was the attempted delivery slip. I ran up to catch him and asked why he would do this when he saw that I was home. He told me he had too many signature-required deliveries. The post master told me after I drove over to the post office that day to complain that if there are too many deliveries requiring a signature then she can instruct the carrier to not make tthe deliveries. Years ago, I had a camera that cost $900.00 dleivered to me insured which requires a signature. When I got home from work I found it in the mailbox, the carrier never got a signature because no one was home the entire day. I went to the post office and asked to see the signature on the slip and it was signed - by the carrier. I have no love for the local post office here, they are simply lazy.

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 06, 2013 21:18 |  #8

ntotrr wrote in post #15581289 (external link)
it's not news to me. The postal service in my neighborhood is horrible. We live in a relatively small community by Long Island standards. I get the wrong mail delivered constantly. Packages that require signature are not delivered - the carrier does not get out of his truck. He always leaves the "attempted delivery" slip in the mail box. On one occassion I watched from door as the carrier delivered my mail into my mail box at the street. I walked out and waved as he drove off to the next house. In my mailbox was the attempted delivery slip. I ran up to catch him and asked why he would do this when he saw that I was home. He told me he had too many signature-required deliveries. The post master told me after I drove over to the post office that day to complain that if there are too many deliveries requiring a signature then she can instruct the carrier to not make tthe deliveries. Years ago, I had a camera that cost $900.00 dleivered to me insured which requires a signature. When I got home from work I found it in the mailbox, the carrier never got a signature because no one was home the entire day. I went to the post office and asked to see the signature on the slip and it was signed - by the carrier. I have no love for the local post office here, they are simply lazy.

I have similar stories too, but to add another twist, the USPS has been losing billions of dollars every year, and the loss is more then just a "few billion". Yet, when I go to mail something at the post office, it's an abysmal situation. The lines are long, not because of them having too much business, but because they are incredibly inefficient. Have you ever noticed how they ask you 50 questions at the counter?

It's a terrible business model and I say let em' shutdown. Good riddance.

Bryan

My Gear List

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Feb 06, 2013 21:19 |  #9

Everything Sucks!

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

Seamus69
788 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 06, 2013 21:20 |  #10

I had a USPS delivery confirmation for a package dated 12/28/12. I never got the package and complained. The PS said it was delivered b/c it isn't scanned until the package is put in my mailbox. Someone else in my office must have taken it. I'm the only one with a key. 3 weeks later the package shows up in my mailbox. I went back to the PO and asked how they could explain it. They couldn't. USPS stinks.

Canon 60D, 5Diii, 24-105, 24-70ii, 70-200 f2.8 ii is, 580ex, (2)430ex

lar55
277 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 06, 2013 21:23 |  #11

My experience with USPS delivery (especially that system where they ship UPS or DHL, which hands off to USPS for final delivery) has been awesome. I've ordered things with "cheapest, 7-10 business day" shipping, and received it in less than 24 hours from ordering.

It helps that they happen to be shipping from my state, and then there is the mailbox. My mailbox holds a good-size flat package, and locks. Each group of mailboxes has one oversized box with another lock. If the package doesn't fit in your own box, they put it in the big box and put the key for that big box in your small box. So it is nice and secure - much better than direct UPS delivery.

WSoxfan0129
320 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 06, 2013 21:31 |  #12

I have never had any problems with USPS...knocks on wood. I actually prefer USPS priority to any other form of shipping because I consistently, about 95% of the time, receive my package in two days or less and it is usually a little cheaper.

Also, as to the comment above about them losing a lot of money, this is true, but they are finally making changes. Today they announced that they will be ceasing saturday delivery (They will still deliver packages though) which will save over 2 billion a year. Not a solution, but it is progress in the right direction.

Fuji X-Pro 1 | X100s | XF 56 1.2 | XF 55-200| Fuji EF42 | Yongnuo 560 III x2 |

yonni
Goldmember
1,390 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Feb 06, 2013 21:34 |  #13

ntotrr wrote in post #15581289 (external link)
I have no love for the local post office here, they are simply lazy.

Haha, I beg to differ. A more likely scenario is that they don't have enough employees to do the job properly.

John

yonni
Goldmember
1,390 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Feb 06, 2013 21:37 |  #14

TooManyShots wrote in post #15581214 (external link)

Actually I wouldn't even try that. They are not going to want to go searching through dozens of parcels for yours. I think it will be delivered tomorrow

John

mpix345
Goldmember
2,858 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 06, 2013 21:38 as a reply to  @ yonni's post |  #15

I could be totally wrong on this, but it seems to me that they should stop delivering junk mail at reduced rates. Maybe that cheap volume provides critical mass for them, but it certainly is a lot to handle and process.

sponsored links

5,205 views & 0 likes for this thread
USPS sucks....
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.