Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 05 Feb 2013 (Tuesday) 01:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Roadtriping all around Canada and the USA what are your ''Must see''?

Bad ­ Habit
Goldmember
2,102 posts
Gallery: 53 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Feb 05, 2013 21:08 |  #16

Don't forget about Banff and Jasper parks in Alberta. The Canadian Rockies are some of the most picturesque areas in the world.

You are going to make this trip last a decade or so, right?

JR / flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Rivest
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,678 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 05, 2013 22:07 |  #17

Already done Banff and Jasper last week, too bad it's much uglier with frozen ice :/

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Hi, I'm David.

sega62
756 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Feb 05, 2013 22:44 |  #18

Rivest wrote in post #15573861 (external link)
Hi everyone, I'm David.

-San Fransisco

A propos de SF, moi j'ai pas trippé sur la ville comme tel car l'architecture est pas a son meilleur, vas y quand meme pour une journée! Mais tu voudras tres certainement aller a Sonoma, Napa, et le long du BIG SUR et les parcs nationaux!

C'est merveilleux, y'a pratiquement personne sur cette route , y'a bcp de reflets par contre, alors fais gaffe!

bonne route!

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Feb 05, 2013 23:11 |  #19

There are plenty of places that do allow camping for a small fee. These include designated areas of national parks, state parks and private campgrounds. Compared to a hotel, it's plenty cheap enough.

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN events (external link)
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

georgebowman
Goldmember
1,510 posts
Joined May 2009

Feb 05, 2013 23:16 |  #20

I highly recommend Utah's National Parks. The Arches, Canyonlands, Bryce Canyon and Zion are outstanding. My sister lives in Salt Lake City and recommends visiting early spring or fall.

My Gear: 7d, XTi, 17-55f2.8 EF-S, 70-200f4L, 28-135 Kit lens, 2-580EXii

dodgyexposure
Goldmember
2,872 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Feb 05, 2013 23:18 |  #21

Curtis N wrote in post #15577704 (external link)
There are plenty of places that do allow camping for a small fee. These include designated areas of national parks, state parks and private campgrounds. Compared to a hotel, it's plenty cheap enough.

+1. We spent 3 months driving around the USA, camping mostly, and averaged $55/day total expenses. That was a decade ago, so prices will have increased somewhat, but you get the idea . . .

Cheers, Damien

Rivest
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,678 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 05, 2013 23:30 as a reply to  @ dodgyexposure's post |  #22

Thanks again everyone, taking notes of everything.

As for the camping part, well I don't really want to go in campgrounds with water/electricity.

I was more thinking of driving, seeing an open field with a place to park the car near and just put my small tent there for the night.

No private property or national park of course.

Hi, I'm David.

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Feb 05, 2013 23:57 |  #23

Most state and national parks have "primitive" areas for tent camping. Just a flat piece of dirt, and cheaper than the "full service areas with water and power hookups for an RV. And you get toilets and a shower nearby.

Pitch a tent anywhere that's not specifically designated as such, and you're asking for trouble.

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN events (external link)
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

Strnge
Goldmember
1,042 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 06, 2013 15:47 |  #24

Take Old Route 66 (which is mostly replaced by Route 40) out of California headed towards Florida. You will see lots of 1950's Americana. It keeps you on the same path that everyone has suggested. I too photographed last summer most of the U.S. It was fantastic! My favorite was "THE LOOP"!

I would highly recommend "THE LOOP":

40 East Towards Flagstaff, AZ
64 North to the Grand Canyon
89 North to Horseshoe Bend to Page, AZ for the night
98 South/East to 160 East to Horseshoe Bend (just outside Page, AZ)
160 East to 163 North to Monument Valley. (Stop at Monument Valley Navajo Tribal Park for iconic photo)
163 North to 191 North
191 North to Moab
191 North to 70 West
70 West to 89 South (Between 191 and 89 there is nothing, most of this land is government land)
89 South has a bunch of old dying towns on it as well as great landscape. Much more interesting to photograph than 15 South. Also you have direct access to Zion, Bryce, Grand Staircase etc...
89 South back to Page, AZ
89 South back down to Flagstaff, AZ

Mike A.

MIKE

sophie's-mom
317 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Feb 06, 2013 16:05 |  #25

Rivest wrote in post #15577741 (external link)
As for the camping part, well I don't really want to go in campgrounds with water/electricity.

I was more thinking of driving, seeing an open field with a place to park the car near and just put my small tent there for the night.

Not likely...but you can park your car at any REST STOP in the states and sleep in your car. There are VISITOR CENTERs in EVERY state...right after you pass the state line. And several rest stops along the main highways. You shouldn't have ANY problem staying in a rest stop...most truckers are sleeping there also. There are many STUCKEY'S and LOVE'S stations along the way that have showers, as well!!! :)

sophie's-mom
317 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Feb 06, 2013 16:08 |  #26

OOPS, appears Love's is a Georgia store. Stuckey's has locations all along I-10 from New Mexico to Pennsylvania.

dodgyexposure
Goldmember
2,872 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Feb 06, 2013 16:54 |  #27

Curtis N wrote in post #15577790 (external link)
Most state and national parks have "primitive" areas for tent camping. Just a flat piece of dirt, and cheaper than the "full service areas with water and power hookups for an RV. And you get toilets and a shower nearby.

The first time that I visited a "primitive" campground in the USA, I went straight past it - it had lawn, picnic tables and a toilet block! That's luxury camping here in Australia.

As I recall, the basic camping facilities in most national and state parks are quite cheap. The big and popular NPs are more expensive, but still relatively cheap. A lot of state forests have free camping. There used to be a printed directory of NPs, SPs and state forest campgrounds, that we found very useful in finding some lovely places to camp.

Cheers, Damien

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Feb 06, 2013 17:40 as a reply to  @ dodgyexposure's post |  #28

If you're passing through small towns then don't forget to ask at gas stations and coffee shops you might stop by. "My friends and I are road tripping, and looking for somewhere quiet we can set up a tent for the night. Do you know any farmers who don't mind people stopping over on their land for an evening?"

If you keep yourself looking reasonably need and tidy, and remember to smile in a friendly looking manner (Not creepy "I'm going to kill you or have something to hide" manner), then you can go a long way with random strangers helping you out.

Try and get in touch with local outdoors groups. You might find yourself detouring a little off the main roads to get to sites, but the truth is camping sites can be very easy to find if you get in touch with the right people.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

Rivest
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,678 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 06, 2013 21:33 |  #29

Thanks for your suggestion about sleeping, car stops and friendly people's lawn is definitely in our budget!

I also want to thanks people who are offering me and my girlfriend to tour us around your city. It is very appreciated and we will surely have lots of fun together!

Hi, I'm David.

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 07, 2013 12:08 |  #30

Hey, please mark your current general location with each posting (city, etc). Unlike this thread but can't tell where you are or which way you're going.

Thank you. bw!

sponsored links

8,763 views & 0 likes for this thread
Roadtriping all around Canada and the USA what are your ''Must see''?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.