Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 06 Feb 2013 (Wednesday) 23:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need some lens advice

Toxic ­ Dover
89 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 06, 2013 23:37 |  #1

Hey everybody -

Well, long story short, after having to sell off a good chunk of my gear to pay off some auto repair bills (stupid deer...), I'm left with a camera body and no lenses. Now that my finances are back in order, I'd like to pick up a good general purpose lens or two.

As far as budget goes, I'd like to stay around or under $1,000. I've been looking to used 28-70 f/2.8L lenses, which from what I've seen so far will eat my entire budget. Alternatively, I was thinking of splitting the budget into two lenses - a cheaper ($500ish) lens with a similar focal range as the 28-70, and grab a used 70-200 f/4L, which obviously would give me more flexibility overall...

So, working with $1,000 (give or take a couple hundred), what would you guys do in my situation? Definitely open to any suggestions - not dead-set on one lens or another. Thanks for the help!!

Gripped 50D | Currently lens-less... working on rectifying that :D

sponsored links
taslin
131 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 07, 2013 00:18 |  #2

Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 and 70-200 f/2.8 non-IS. I would think you could get both for close to your budget and have 2 good lenses that cover a lot.

Sean
Canon 1D Mark III -- Canon 30D -- Canon 580ex
Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L -- Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8
Canon 50mm f/1.8 -- Canon 85mm f/1.8 -- Sigma 10-20mm
Canon 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 (good paper weight)

Saint728
Goldmember
2,892 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 07, 2013 00:24 |  #3

Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM and Canon 70-200mm f/4L. You should be able to get them both used for $1,000.00.

Take Care,
Cheers, Patrick

Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III | 17-40mm f/4.0L | 70-200mm f/2.8L USM | 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | 300mm f/4.0L IS
Click Here To See My Gear
Click here to see my Flickr (external link)
http://www.runryder.co​m/helicopter/gallery/9​019/ (external link)

Cyanide7730
43 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Feb 07, 2013 00:26 |  #4

since you're working with a crop and on a budget, I'd recommend the tamron 17-50 2.8 VC ($650) and getting the 70-200 f/4 ($500). f/4 and non-is granted you don't intend on shooting indoors.
The best crop general zoom lens is probably the canon 17-55 2.8 IS but adds a couple hundred $ compared to the tamron.
Also look into possibly getting your lenses used or canon refurbished; could mean the difference in getting a much better lens.

hope that helps

7D | 17-55 2.8 | Sigma 35mm 1.4 | Canon 50mm 1.4 | Sigma 30mm 1.4 | Canon 70-200mm 4 IS | 430 EX II
www.flickr.com/cyanide​7730 (external link)

1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 07, 2013 13:32 as a reply to  @ Cyanide7730's post |  #5

Depends on your usage. The 15-85 is a superb crop walkaround lens. While more expensive than say, the Sigma 17-70/2.8-4 OS, it offers an unmatched ( in the crop arena) focal range, stellar IS, AF, and IQ/sharpness.

That lens and a used 70-200/4L non-IS, would give you a great focal range coverage in 2 lenses, but not much in the shallow DoF/low-light performance area(the 70-200/4 is decent here, actually).

A Tamron 17-50/2.8 non-VC would give you the shallow DoF/lower light performance, at the expense of range and AF speed/noise.

If you wanted a little longer range on the tele, you could substitute a Tamron 70-300 VC USD, giving you greater range, but lower IQ and lesser AF abilities.

Ultimately, we need to know what you like to shoot, and you have to know this too.. before you/we can proceed.

Kel
Gear

Toxic ­ Dover
THREAD ­ STARTER
89 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 07, 2013 17:03 |  #6

Thanks for all the advice so far guys, I'm looking through the lens sample threads of all these lenses.

1Tanker - Good point, it would help to know my shooting habits wouldn't it? Haha, well, I have no real need for a lens targeted towards one shooting situation or another... I enjoy shooting pictures while walking around the city, for example, but I also love going places (such as zoos and aquariums) and taking pictures there as well. I guess I'm just looking for a really nice general purpose, walk-about lens and a good telephoto to give me the longer reach to shoot things such as birds, airplanes (several airports nearby!), and anything else out of reach of the shorter focal length lens.

Gripped 50D | Currently lens-less... working on rectifying that :D

jimewall
Goldmember
1,871 posts
Joined May 2008

Feb 07, 2013 17:54 as a reply to  @ Toxic Dover's post |  #7

If it were me on a crop with np lenses and a $1Kish budget. I'd go Tammy 17-50mm VC (as my main lens), a 55-250mm (used - as a temporary tele), and a 50mm f/1.8 (for lower light). Save the rest and save up for a 70-200L with IS. I'm getting to the point that I really like having IS (especially on longer focal lengths).

If you don't care about IS, then the 70-200L non-IS now.

Thanks for Reading & Good Luck - Jim
GEAR

sponsored links

910 views & 0 likes for this thread
Need some lens advice
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.