Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 31 Jan 2013 (Thursday) 21:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Wedding kit advice

kobeson
Goldmember
1,075 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 31, 2013 21:47 |  #1

First wedding coming up, in May. I currently have the 3 lenses in my sig (35, 85, 100), and one 5D3.

I will look at buying a 2nd 600-EX-RT so I can utilize the strengths of the system, and will also hopefully buy a 70-200 f2.8 II. Will also be renting a 24-70 f2.8 II, and renting a 2nd 5D2 or 5D3. I wish I could buy it all but can't - I may even end up renting all of it apart from the 2nd speedlight.

This was my initial plan of attack:

Prep session:
35 on one body, 85 on the other. I would then interchange 100 with the 35, and possibly 24-70 with the 85.

Would like to be able to use the 35/85 combo predominantly, and have the macro for details and the zoom for wider shots.

Ceremony:
70-200 on one body, 24-70 on the other. I don't want to miss anything here, I thought about possibly using the 35 instead of the 24-70, it will depend on the space I have (haven't seen the venue yet).

Posed shots:
70-200 on one body, 35 on the other. Would interchange 85 with the 35. Would use single off camera flash here with the 2 600's if required. If there are in-door shots, will go with 24-70 on one of the bodies.

Reception:
35 on one body, 85 on the other. One flash on each camera for bouncing and also for shutter drag shots. Don't really want to mess around with using off camera here if can get away with it.

I am thinking of shooting the whole thing in Aperture Priority, even though I usually stick to Manual mostly. I just don't want to be farting about with settings too much on the day.

So how does this all sound to the wedding shooters? I would like any advice or recommendations on that plan if you have any.

I look at a lot of other photography of weddings, and I notice a 50L is used a lot. If it weren't for the focus shift I keep reading about, I would have bought it instead of the 35. I have also read the focus shift is a manageable quirk, but I still feel more confident with the 35. But the 35/50 focal lengths are 2 that puzzle me, I either find 50 is too narrow or that 35 is too wide. A 42 f1.2 would suit me perfectly! :D

1Dx | 5D III | 1D IV | 8-15 | 16-35L II | 24-70L II | 70-200L II | 400L II | 1.4x III | Σ85 | 100L | 3 x 600EX-RT | ST-E3-RT
website  (external link)facebook (external link)

sponsored links
snakeman55
Goldmember
1,223 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jan 31, 2013 22:26 |  #2

That all sounds pretty good to me. I personally would want something wider than 24, but you can probably get away with it. I use my 24L a lot for getting ready shots, and my 16-35 during the ceremony and reception, but it depends on your style.

AV mode is fine, just keep a close eye on your shutter speeds to make sure they don't get too slow and need an ISO bump.

It seems like there are two main kind of prime shooters. The kind that like 24 and 50 and the kind that like 35 and 85. I'm the former...

-Adam
Wedding Photographers in Maryland (external link)
Gear

kobeson
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,075 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 31, 2013 23:01 |  #3

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, I had thought about needing to go wider, I will hopefully make do with 24. I'd love to have a 16-35 in my kit also, but I'm pretty sure there should be space where they are having the wedding so 24 should be wide enough.

Yeah I do prefer to stick to manual, so things like that don't happen - will have to put in some practice in the lead up.

I haven't shot much at 24mm, I used to love shooting really wide on my crop camera, but 35 has been wide enough for me on my 5D3 for my personal stuff, so I haven't ventured into much wider other than last time I rented a 24-70. I guess I will go in with the 35/85 combo, and have the 24-70 ready to go if I need something in-between.

1Dx | 5D III | 1D IV | 8-15 | 16-35L II | 24-70L II | 70-200L II | 400L II | 1.4x III | Σ85 | 100L | 3 x 600EX-RT | ST-E3-RT

tim
Light Bringer
51,009 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Feb 01, 2013 02:37 |  #4

Honestly, first wedding, 24-70 will be perfect for 70% of what you do. Unless you're super experienced and super cool under pressure you want to make things easier for yourself, not more difficult. The narrowest possible DOF isn't always what you want... to me it's rarely what you want to be honest. I want more DOF far more often than I want less DOF.

As well as the 24-70 I guess you'd do 20% on the 70-200 and 10% on a wider lens, but an important 10% IMHO (unless you're in a big venue but wide angles are cool).

Wedding FAQ.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

SMP_Homer
Cream of the Crop
5,709 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 01, 2013 08:02 as a reply to  @ tim's post |  #5

I pretty much run most of my weddings with 35 and 85 hanging from each shoulder... I use other lenses as well throughout the day, but 80% of the day is with those 2

space, working distance (i.e. the officiants' limits as to how close you can get, where you can or cannot go, etc..) and available light might make or break those decisions...
if you can't get close, then a 70-200 is a must! We've all been in churches where the lighting is terrible at best, and I've been in a few of those where 3rd pew is as close as I can get, and at that spot, I'm still a good 30+ feet away!

EOS R6’ / 1D X / 1D IV (and the wife has a T4i)
Sig35A, Sig50A, Sig85A, Sig14-24A, Sig24-105A, Sig70-200S, Sig150-600C
100-400L, 100L, 100/2, 300 2.8L, 1.4x II / 2x II
600EX-II X3, 430EX-III X3

davisphotos
190 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Feb 01, 2013 13:28 |  #6

I love the 35/85 combo, I use it for almost all my getting ready shots and a good deal of the ceremony for smaller weddings. I usually use a 17-40 during the reception, and 70-200 during the ceremony. I shoot AV most of the time, until it gets to the reception and ambient light levels drop to nil, then I lock it in manual mode, usually around 1/30 at f4, and set up 3-4 off camera flashes.
My main piece of advice is to keep it simple-spend too much time worrying about what lens to use or where to set all your flashes, and you risk missing some really great shots. This is something I am still working on, being a bit of a gear head myself.

Maine Wedding Photographer Andrew Davis (external link)
New England Commercial Photography (external link)
Andrew Davis Photography Blog (external link)

kobeson
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,075 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Feb 01, 2013 17:36 |  #7

tim wrote in post #15558965 (external link)
Honestly, first wedding, 24-70 will be perfect for 70% of what you do. Unless you're super experienced and super cool under pressure you want to make things easier for yourself, not more difficult. The narrowest possible DOF isn't always what you want... to me it's rarely what you want to be honest. I want more DOF far more often than I want less DOF.

As well as the 24-70 I guess you'd do 20% on the 70-200 and 10% on a wider lens, but an important 10% IMHO (unless you're in a big venue but wide angles are cool).

Wedding FAQ.

I will have the 24-70 there for wide shots at 24, for group shots if space is tight, and a general backup if pressure gets to me. I want to use the primes only for prep shots if possible though. And maybe the reception. I stop them down when I have to, although I love narrow DOF, I know it doesn't have a place a lot of the time.

Can't wait to buy the 70-200, I can see myself using it a lot on the day, and also in my other photography.

kobeson
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,075 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Feb 01, 2013 17:37 |  #8

SMP_Homer wrote in post #15559488 (external link)
I pretty much run most of my weddings with 35 and 85 hanging from each shoulder... I use other lenses as well throughout the day, but 80% of the day is with those 2

space, working distance (i.e. the officiants' limits as to how close you can get, where you can or cannot go, etc..) and available light might make or break those decisions...
if you can't get close, then a 70-200 is a must! We've all been in churches where the lighting is terrible at best, and I've been in a few of those where 3rd pew is as close as I can get, and at that spot, I'm still a good 30+ feet away!

This is how I hope it pans out for me also, but will be dictated by the venue and the light on the day, as you suggest. 70-200 will get a lot of use I am sure.

kobeson
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,075 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Feb 01, 2013 17:40 |  #9

davisphotos wrote in post #15560741 (external link)
I love the 35/85 combo, I use it for almost all my getting ready shots and a good deal of the ceremony for smaller weddings. I usually use a 17-40 during the reception, and 70-200 during the ceremony. I shoot AV most of the time, until it gets to the reception and ambient light levels drop to nil, then I lock it in manual mode, usually around 1/30 at f4, and set up 3-4 off camera flashes.
My main piece of advice is to keep it simple-spend too much time worrying about what lens to use or where to set all your flashes, and you risk missing some really great shots. This is something I am still working on, being a bit of a gear head myself.

Yeah, had imagined I would switch back to manual after the daylight disappears, and of course whenever I am using flash.

Good advice, I am not trying to over think it, already my mind is full of ideas and pre-visualisations of the day, but I'm sure not much of it will go as I see it, so I want to make sure I am prepared. And yeah, I don't want to be stuck with primes at moments a zoom could do the job better.

Thanks guys :)

tim
Light Bringer
51,009 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Feb 01, 2013 17:51 |  #10

kobeson wrote in post #15561714 (external link)
I will have the 24-70 there for wide shots at 24, for group shots if space is tight, and a general backup if pressure gets to me. I want to use the primes only for prep shots if possible though. And maybe the reception. I stop them down when I have to, although I love narrow DOF, I know it doesn't have a place a lot of the time.

Can't wait to buy the 70-200, I can see myself using it a lot on the day, and also in my other photography.

24mm full frame isn't wide IMHO.... 16mm is wide. Wait until you get stuck inside a small room on a wet day, then you'll appreciate it. The first wedding I ever did I had 18mm on a crop body, main venue was rained out so we were in a tiny room, I couldn't even get a shot of the whole wedding party. It's probably not your first priority though.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.

kobeson
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,075 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Feb 03, 2013 22:04 |  #11

tim wrote in post #15561767 (external link)
24mm full frame isn't wide IMHO.... 16mm is wide. Wait until you get stuck inside a small room on a wet day, then you'll appreciate it. The first wedding I ever did I had 18mm on a crop body, main venue was rained out so we were in a tiny room, I couldn't even get a shot of the whole wedding party. It's probably not your first priority though.

Yeah at this particular wedding I don't envisage needing wider than 24mm, knowing where it is set. But I know that isn't ultra wide - my favourite lens on my old crop camera was Canon's 10-22, and I loved shooting it at 10-15, but to be honest I'm not as much of a fan of ultra wide photos these days, my style has changed. I'm sure a 16-35 would come in handy at some weddings though, for the next wedding maybe. Can't be renting and buying too many lenses, as mentioned above I don't want to over complicate it all with too much gear.

By the way, thanks for this link, I have begun reading and will go through as much as I can :)

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 04, 2013 20:45 |  #12

For a rookie wedding, seriously, I'd just use the 24-70 and 70-200, and keep the camera on P.

Leave the 35 and 85 in the bag as backups. The most important thing is getting the shots. Work on your artistry later. Once you get a feel for the flow and pace of a wedding and can manage your time and the bride's time, you can add things slowly, like Av or Manual, then eventually when you are rocking it, add your 35 and 85. Leave the flash ON CAMERA and keep it there until you master it. Jumping into Off cam flash too early will only hamper your learning and mastery of it. Weddings ain't nuthin' like taking a few pics of friends/family in the park. Even during the posed session, you will probably be rushed and stressed the hell out. Even on P mode, I'd be surprised if you didn't take a whole bunch of outdoor afternoon shots at ISO3200 because you were too overwhelmed to remember.

Keep it simple! Seriously!

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

tim
Light Bringer
51,009 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Feb 04, 2013 22:20 |  #13

picturecrazy wrote in post #15573006 (external link)
Even on P mode, I'd be surprised if you didn't take a whole bunch of outdoor afternoon shots at ISO3200 because you were too overwhelmed to remember.

Being on P (the substance not the mode) might be one thing that would help you keep up with a wedding if you're not used to it!

kobeson
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,075 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Feb 05, 2013 19:19 |  #14

picturecrazy wrote in post #15573006 (external link)
For a rookie wedding, seriously, I'd just use the 24-70 and 70-200, and keep the camera on P.

Leave the 35 and 85 in the bag as backups. The most important thing is getting the shots. Work on your artistry later. Once you get a feel for the flow and pace of a wedding and can manage your time and the bride's time, you can add things slowly, like Av or Manual, then eventually when you are rocking it, add your 35 and 85. Leave the flash ON CAMERA and keep it there until you master it. Jumping into Off cam flash too early will only hamper your learning and mastery of it. Weddings ain't nuthin' like taking a few pics of friends/family in the park. Even during the posed session, you will probably be rushed and stressed the hell out. Even on P mode, I'd be surprised if you didn't take a whole bunch of outdoor afternoon shots at ISO3200 because you were too overwhelmed to remember.

Keep it simple! Seriously!

Good advice, I am comfortable enough to use AV mode, but the zooms will have a lot of time on my cameras. The more I research and learn, the more use I see for both. I will have the primes for the pre-wedding shoots predominantly, but they will get use throughout the day. In those situations where it is all happening at a million miles an hour, the zooms will be on the bodies no doubt.

Hedley
197 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 07, 2013 04:03 |  #15

Checking that ISO - seriously good advice - when changing from indoors to outdoors for example, remember to keep checking! Personally I haven't found that I need much more than 24-70 & 70-200 each on a body once the preparations are out of the way.
Fiddling with dof and primes is always nice for bride's prep. but once you're in amongst the crowds and having to think fast, those 2 will usually see you right.

sponsored links

2,986 views & 0 likes for this thread
Wedding kit advice
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.