Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 06 Feb 2013 (Wednesday) 07:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

SD Card.. how to get the pics off when no PC around?

Zatx
174 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 06, 2013 07:58 |  #1

So I'm headed into the jungles of Belize to do some missionary work and I'm bringing along my T4i and related gear. I won't be bringing my laptop. The trip is 7 days.

What do you guys use for storage while traveling without some sort of laptop or other high capacity storage device along?

Do you just buy a large quantity of 32GB SD cards or go even bigger? My 32GB card will hold about 1000 RAW files.

I'm assuming I'll just have to be pretty selective with which photos I keep using the LCD display to weed out the keepers?

Your advice is appreciated.

Current Gear: Canon T4i (gripped), Canon 10-22mm, Sigma 30mm 1.4, Canon EF 85 1.8, 18-55mm Kit, 55-250mm, Yogo YN-468 Flash, LR 4, Carryspeed Slim, lots of bags.
Feedback: https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=15639404#po​st15639404

sponsored links
facedodge
Goldmember
1,192 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 06, 2013 08:09 |  #2

I went to Hawaii for two weeks and brought about 256 GB of memory cards. I was pushing it and felt like my photos were at risk somehow, but it worked out. You'll probably be fine.

Gear List | Feedback | facebook (external link) | [URL="http://www.flick​r.com/photos/wmcy2/"]flickr (external link)

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,621 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 06, 2013 08:15 |  #3

Sounds like a great trip ahead - have fun!

I would keep it simple, lightweight, and "minimally electronic." As facedodge suggested just get additional cards for your shots, and MENTALLY edit as you take your pictures. Most storage devices require batteries or chargers which is more weight, more complexity, and more potential failure points. Cards are small, have no moving parts and require little space.

We all know that not all shots are great - machine gunning average compositions now just makes for more files to edit later on. Think about your shots before you make them. This will make you a better more satisfying photographer and allow you to spend more time on the really GOOD shots. - Stu :D

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board
Donate to POTN here

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Feb 06, 2013 10:47 |  #4

Assuming you are comfortable with not having an actual backup, I'd suggest you get enough of these (external link) or these (external link), and then buy sufficient SD cards to get you through 7 days. Unless you are planning on shooting video, I would stick with multiple lower-capacity cards (8GB, maybe 16GB) to minimize the loss if a card gets lost or damaged. If you are planning on shooting video, then get the 32GB cards; video will fill them up pretty quickly.

Tom

Zatx
THREAD ­ STARTER
174 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 06, 2013 13:02 |  #5

RTPVid wrote in post #15579115 (external link)
Assuming you are comfortable with not having an actual backup, I'd suggest you get enough of these (external link) or these (external link), and then buy sufficient SD cards to get you through 7 days. Unless you are planning on shooting video, I would stick with multiple lower-capacity cards (8GB, maybe 16GB) to minimize the loss if a card gets lost or damaged. If you are planning on shooting video, then get the 32GB cards; video will fill them up pretty quickly.

Good idea on the smaller cards. I hadn't thought about that. Minimize the risk to some precious memories.

Current Gear: Canon T4i (gripped), Canon 10-22mm, Sigma 30mm 1.4, Canon EF 85 1.8, 18-55mm Kit, 55-250mm, Yogo YN-468 Flash, LR 4, Carryspeed Slim, lots of bags.

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 07, 2013 05:52 |  #6

facedodge wrote in post #15578600 (external link)
I went to Hawaii for two weeks and brought about 256 GB of memory cards.

Zatx wrote in post #15579610 (external link)
Good idea on the smaller cards. I hadn't thought about that. Minimize the risk to some precious memories.

Right. So you could buy 32 8GB cards at a cost of $350 (external link) to give you 256GB of storage. Or you could pay $250 for a Hyperdrive ColorSpace (external link) and $50 for a 500GB hard drive. (external link) That'll give you twice as much storage space for $50 less cash. It will also take up less space than 32 cards in plastic cases.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

facedodge
Goldmember
1,192 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 07, 2013 08:07 |  #7

^ I use big cards... 16G, 32G and even one 64G That's why I was able to take so mcuh memory :) I have a 5D3 so it was a Combo of CF and SD. I don't think he needs that much storage.

Assuming avg 25MB per photo for RAW shooting, is 10,240 photos. That's 1,462 photos a day for him. That could be expected if he were on assignment, but not if he plans on doing other things but holding a camera to his face.

For me, I was away 15 days and I was taking 30 shot HDR panoramas sometimes. Even with that I had plenty of space. I probably used about 100 to 120 GB in my 15 days.

Gear List | Feedback | facebook (external link) | [URL="http://www.flick​r.com/photos/wmcy2/"]flickr (external link)

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Feb 07, 2013 08:20 |  #8

Most people wouldn't fill 256GB in 7 days. Assuming still photos in RAW, that's ~1,500 per day! (Quick calc... so check my math... never mind... I was too slow!)

Tom

ntotrr
73 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 07, 2013 09:12 |  #9

Have a blessed time. I know a pastor who has been in Belize for many years. My wife spent some time there.

You can use a portable storage device to copy the photos from your card to. But with the cost of cards, I don't see any need for these things any longer as just a storage device. I've got a couple from when the cost of cards was much higher but nowadays I would just get more cards.

leftnose
65 posts
Joined May 2012

Feb 07, 2013 09:15 |  #10

hollis_f wrote in post #15582170 (external link)
Right. So you could buy 32 8GB cards at a cost of $350 (external link) to give you 256GB of storage. Or you could pay $250 for a Hyperdrive ColorSpace (external link) and $50 for a 500GB hard drive. (external link) That'll give you twice as much storage space for $50 less cash. It will also take up less space than 32 cards in plastic cases.

Well, from the specs of that product, battery life is about 120 minutes with a transfer rate of 27 MB/s. That means its theoretical max capacity on one charge is ~190 GB. Of course, I wouldn't want to take the chance of having the battery die in the middle of a transfer and corrupting a card, or what the actual transfer rates are, etc.. Plus, you've got a more delicate HD in the box vs. non-volatile flash memory. I don't think there's much of an argument about which is more robust.

Now, I'm not saying the Hyperdrive is a bad product but if I'm bouncing around in the rain forest (which I've done having lived in Costa Rica at various times), I wouldn't rely on one.

Motor ­ On
941 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Feb 07, 2013 09:43 |  #11

I would bring 2 32GB cards per day, you'll likely have some leftover, but it means you'll have spare if something you want to shoot comes along, also SD card are smaller and lighter than film. You want to make sure you're not deleting/editing from the camera onto the card, shoot it and let it be, on card editing is one of the top ways to induce a card failure. Protect them, but remember as long as it's dry when you use it, solid state flash memory like an SD card really wont have much issues, and for banging around rual areas, safer than a conventional hard drive (if you use a high capacity 400-512 SSD that's a different story but more expensive).

What are your battery plans and will you have electricity? Several charged spare Canon Batteries? Grip with a few packs of AAs? Film Camera and a handful of CR123s and a pack of film?

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link)

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 07, 2013 09:53 |  #12

RTPVid wrote in post #15582511 (external link)
Most people wouldn't fill 256GB in 7 days. Assuming still photos in RAW, that's ~1,500 per day! (Quick calc... so check my math... never mind... I was too slow!)

While we're assuming...

Assume 4 10 minute videos a day over 7 days. That's about 100GB.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Feb 07, 2013 11:19 |  #13

hollis_f wrote in post #15582850 (external link)
While we're assuming...

Assume 4 10 minute videos a day over 7 days. That's about 100GB.

The OP only mentioned RAW, but the storage game does change if one is shooting video, no doubt about that.

Tom

Zatx
THREAD ­ STARTER
174 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 07, 2013 13:09 |  #14

Yeah.. I'm pretty much all RAW. I may take a quick 1 minute video of something interesting going on very very occasionally.

I'll be gripped with two sets of batteries (4 total) for the grip and a single spare for non-gripped. Power won't really be an issue as I'm assured where we'll be in the evening has a stable power source.

Sounds like I need to invest in additional memory cards and a cheap case to carry them around in.

I've never heard that deleting a photo with your camera could lead to card failure..??

Motor ­ On
941 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Feb 08, 2013 14:40 |  #15

Zatx wrote in post #15583527 (external link)
I've never heard that deleting a photo with your camera could lead to card failure..??

http://www.lexar.com …nt/lexar-memory-card-tips (external link)

Recommended ways to delete images from your Lexar memory card
Tips:
Deleting images in the camera is a convenience but at the same time can result in data corruption, especially with large file formats like RAW and TIFF files. Move and save the images to your computer, then utilize the editing software that came with your camera or a third-party software application for more flexibility. Once the files are moved, it is recommended to initialize your Lexar memory card.
Note: Processing on a camera is light operation. Remember that when you're deleting an image, you're only deleting the file name and other related information pertaining to the image-not the actual image itself. This is why you can still recover the image once it is deleted, since the data area where the image is stored remains intact.

Here's some other links that also have some surrounding information that I follow to various degrees:
http://digital-photography-school.com …d-caring-for-memory-cards (external link)
http://photodoto.com/m​emory-card-tips/ (external link)
http://photofocus.com …l-tips-for-photographers/ (external link)

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link)

sponsored links

2,982 views & 0 likes for this thread
SD Card.. how to get the pics off when no PC around?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.