Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 06 Feb 2013 (Wednesday) 19:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

USPS sucks....

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 06, 2013 21:42 |  #16

They pull this crap all the time. When you pick it up, be sure to remind its service like this that put them out of business.

sponsored links
TooManyShots
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 06, 2013 22:14 |  #17
bannedPermanent ban

bps wrote in post #15581321 (external link)
I have similar stories too, but to add another twist, the USPS has been losing billions of dollars every year, and the loss is more then just a "few billion". Yet, when I go to mail something at the post office, it's an abysmal situation. The lines are long, not because of them having too much business, but because they are incredibly inefficient. Have you ever noticed how they ask you 50 questions at the counter?

It's a terrible business model and I say let em' shutdown. Good riddance.

Bryan

Mine is long line from too few clerks. Or one clerk being tied up by one customer for "unknown reasons." They have to add "addons" to the transactions. Many retail businesses use the addons to measure sales volumes. It would be hilarious if the USPS offers membership discount card and asking you to sign up. LOL. I hate those.

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

2cruise
Goldmember
4,465 posts
Gallery: 686 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 06, 2013 22:22 |  #18

gibbit1 wrote in post #15581145 (external link)
Yeah, nothing new here. A few weeks ago, I was also waiting for a package that was "out for delivery". When the mail truck pulled up, I was standing at my door because I knew I had to sign for it. He turned around in my driveway, put something in my mailbox, and drove off. I went to the mailbox and found a notice of "attempted" delivery! I was standing in the freaking door waiting for him!! He never even got out of the truck to "attempt" anything!

And they wonder why they're constantly losing business.

You must have my driver also. I reported the driver the minute I found the note. I'm retired and home most days with the car in the drive. His supervisor was most apologetic but when the driver delivered the next day he didn't say a word when i was signing for the package.

5D Mark IV~100-400L II IS~16-35 f4L IS ~Zeiss 25mm f2~Zeiss 50mm f2 Makro-Planar~ Sigma 24-105 Art~Rokinon 14mm 2.8~Lee filters
My Flickr (external link)

2cruise
Goldmember
4,465 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 06, 2013 22:31 |  #19

yonni wrote in post #15581356 (external link)
Haha, I beg to differ. A more likely scenario is that they don't have enough employees to do the job properly.

They get way to many breaks and when at the counter move like pond water. Only thing worse is the DMV but it's a close second.

5D Mark IV~100-400L II IS~16-35 f4L IS ~Zeiss 25mm f2~Zeiss 50mm f2 Makro-Planar~ Sigma 24-105 Art~Rokinon 14mm 2.8~Lee filters

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 06, 2013 22:51 |  #20

mpix345 wrote in post #15581374 (external link)
I could be totally wrong on this, but it seems to me that they should stop delivering junk mail at reduced rates. Maybe that cheap volume provides critical mass for them, but it certainly is a lot to handle and process.

Agreed. They should simply charge the junk mail mailings double! That crud accounts for at least 90% of my mail. Charging the junk mail folks double would probably balance their budget! :lol:

Bryan

My Gear List

cdiver2
Goldmember
1,032 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 07, 2013 00:17 |  #21

ntotrr they are simply lazy.

yonni Haha, I beg to differ. A more likely scenario is that they don't have enough employees to do the job properly.

I have to agree with ntotrr on this. I used to work at a airport, my job was to pick up the mail from the aircraft and take it to the post office sorting. I would back the truck up to a dock and put the mail on to a conveyor belt there were three guys sat on stools pushing the bags off into carts at the other side of the belt. When a cart was full some one else would take it away and leave a empty one. One night I had just started to unload when the belt stopped and one of the guys walked away, after a while a manager came out and asked why they had stopped and he was told because one of them had gone for his break. The manager then said "and I suppose that when he comes back one of you will go on break" he was told "yes". After I unload I have to go to another dock and load out going mail on to the truck take it to the airport and load it on to carts for there respective flights.
My mail man will will not deliver to the mail box if he can not pull his vehicle up to the mail box, three steps are a little to far for him to walk.
Over payed and under worked.

isoMorphic
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined May 2008

Feb 07, 2013 01:35 |  #22

A more likely scenario is that they don't have enough employees to do the job properly.

If the USPS quit providing ridiculous subsidies to the millions of China and Hongkong Post deliveries maybe they could hire more workers. Without all the junk mail most of us hate i'd bet my life the USPS would not even be around anymore. To think they actually wanted to create an email tax years ago and bleed us even more while doing nothing to cut costs makes me never want to buy another stamp.

2cruise
Goldmember
4,465 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 07, 2013 07:22 as a reply to  @ isoMorphic's post |  #23

Sorry but the fix is not more workers but much less union control.

Kronie
Goldmember
2,183 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Feb 07, 2013 07:42 |  #24

I just got done fighting with the USPS for a $400 insured package. Package was ripped open in transit and the contents gone....It took nine months to get a check from them and countless hours of frustration dealing with postmasters that dont know what they are doing and "consumer affairs" that you cant ever reach.

I will NEVER ship anything important with USPS. They can continue to process my junk mail, but that is it.

yonni
Goldmember
1,390 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Feb 07, 2013 08:28 |  #25

2cruise wrote in post #15582343 (external link)

Haha sounds like you think unions are in charge. Nothing could be furtther from the truth. Btw where do you think the 8 hr work day came from, or sick leave, or child labor laws or workplace safety regulations?

John
5Dc. 40D 400 5.6, 300 f4 is, 200, 135, 35, 17-40, 24-105, 70-200 f4is Ls

cdiver2
Goldmember
1,032 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 07, 2013 08:53 |  #26

yonni wrote in post #15582541 (external link)
Haha sounds like you think unions are in charge. Nothing could be furtther from the truth. Btw
where do you think the 8 hr work day came from, or sick leave, or child labor laws or workplace safety regulations?

From unions in a bygone era but as in a lot of case's power has gone to there heads and given enough rope they will hang themselves

ntotrr
73 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 07, 2013 09:23 |  #27

Haha, I beg to differ. A more likely scenario is that they don't have enough employees to do the job properly.

Not in my local post office. The postmaster is horrible, completely unprofessional. She was removed for a period of time only to return because she has seniority. Bad management flows down. They are an inefficient operation. There is another post office in the next town and a lot of people in my town now go there. I've questioned the postmaster there and he said that he has heard many complaints from people in my town about our post office and they now use the post office in the next town.

jrbdmb
Goldmember
1,291 posts
Joined May 2011

Feb 07, 2013 10:06 |  #28

yonni wrote in post #15581371 (external link)
Actually I wouldn't even try that. They are not going to want to go searching through dozens of parcels for yours. I think it will be delivered tomorrow

I've never heard of the USPS reattempting delivery - it's usually one shot, then you have to pick up the package at the PO. And why shouldn't they have to get your package when you go to get it - isn't that what the shipper paid for?

BTW, being an apologist for the USPS isn't going to win you many friends on here. :)

Tools: 70D, 10-22, Tamron 24-70 VC, 70-300L, 135 f2L

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 07, 2013 10:31 |  #29

2cruise wrote in post #15582343 (external link)

The Post Office is set up to handle 250B pieces of mail per year, current estimates are mail volume will drop to about 120B in a couple of years. They're peak for mail handling was in 2006, when they handled 213B pieces of mail, 2011 was down to 165B and it's trending lower. Combine this reduction in mail volume with their labor contracts offering generous health and pension benefits and no layoff provisions and you have a recipe for a disaster. They're way to big for their market and have contractually locked themselves into a terrible position.
If I were running UPS/Fed Ex I'd step up to the plate and start offering some of their services. While neither of these is perfect, they do manage to deliver stuff and have decent tracking systems in place. For example, just before Christmas we had some snow/ice on the road here, the postal carrier (a shiftless, lazy, useless consumer of oxygen) refused to deliver mail here for 4 days. On every one of those 4 days she wouldn't bring us mail, UPS showed up with packages for us we'd ordered for Christmas and the newspaper guy got me my paper. When I called the Post Master,about not getting our mail and mentioned UPS and the person who delivers my Wall St. Journal was somehow managing to get here she said "The newspaper people get fired if they don't deliver the paper". I replied with "It's no wonder you people are going out of business" and she hung up on me.
Personally, I hope they go under and disappear for good. They've earned it.

TooManyShots
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 07, 2013 11:10 |  #30
bannedPermanent ban

rick_reno wrote in post #15582991 (external link)
The Post Office is set up to handle 250B pieces of mail per year, current estimates are mail volume will drop to about 120B in a couple of years. They're peak for mail handling was in 2006, when they handled 213B pieces of mail, 2011 was down to 165B and it's trending lower. Combine this reduction in mail volume with their labor contracts offering generous health and pension benefits and no layoff provisions and you have a recipe for a disaster. They're way to big for their market and have contractually locked themselves into a terrible position.
If I were running UPS/Fed Ex I'd step up to the plate and start offering some of their services. While neither of these is perfect, they do manage to deliver stuff and have decent tracking systems in place. For example, just before Christmas we had some snow/ice on the road here, the postal carrier (a shiftless, lazy, useless consumer of oxygen) refused to deliver mail here for 4 days. On every one of those 4 days she wouldn't bring us mail, UPS showed up with packages for us we'd ordered for Christmas and the newspaper guy got me my paper. When I called the Post Master,about not getting our mail and mentioned UPS and the person who delivers my Wall St. Journal was somehow managing to get here she said "The newspaper people get fired if they don't deliver the paper". I replied with "It's no wonder you people are going out of business" and she hung up on me.
Personally, I hope they go under and disappear for good. They've earned it.

Privatize USPS....hhahahahaha...​.LOL

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

5,216 views & 0 likes for this thread
USPS sucks....
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.