Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 05 Oct 2012 (Friday) 17:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Eye-Fi to iPad - Quick Review

RSMarco
Goldmember
1,006 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 18, 2012 14:30 as a reply to  @ post 15260032 |  #31

Ran with shuttersnitch this afternoon with no issues. The eye-fi app is crap with ios6 so I am trying this. You have to set up the card not to upload to the computer / web though.

sponsored links
pilsburypie
Goldmember
1,122 posts
Joined May 2009

Nov 19, 2012 10:07 |  #32

RSMarco wrote in post #15260664 (external link)
Ran with shuttersnitch this afternoon with no issues. The eye-fi app is crap with ios6 so I am trying this. You have to set up the card not to upload to the computer / web though.

Good to hear it worked with ios6. One of my main requirements is that after taking a shot, the image is displayed full screen on my Apple device, then as I take further shots, they come up full screen. Is this the case with Shuttersnitch?

Mark
Gear List

RSMarco
Goldmember
1,006 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 19, 2012 13:27 |  #33

pilsburypie wrote in post #15263638 (external link)
Good to hear it worked with ios6. One of my main requirements is that after taking a shot, the image is displayed full screen on my Apple device, then as I take further shots, they come up full screen. Is this the case with Shuttersnitch?

Well that's exactly what I want from this set up and that's what it did. It's important to disable the eye fi upload on the card first otherwise it hangs. Check the FAQ section on the shuttersnitch site for setting up with eye fi card.

pilsburypie
Goldmember
1,122 posts
Joined May 2009

Nov 19, 2012 13:55 |  #34

Thanks RSMarco - I may well give that a go then. I'll bear in mind your settings advice.

Mark
Gear List

0.0f
179 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Feb 06, 2013 05:38 |  #35

how are you guys geting on with your eyefi - shuttersnitch combos? i am thinking of goign this route to view pics on my ipad when out shooting.

EOS 5D MK3 - 24-70 MK2

SMP_Homer
Cream of the Crop
5,616 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 06, 2013 12:31 |  #36

still my prefered way to get pics to my ipad

EOS R / 7D2 / 1D IV (and the wife has a T4i)
Sig35A, Sig50A, Sig85A, Sig14-24A, Sig24-105A, Sig70-200S, Sig150-600C
100-400L, 100L, 300 2.8L, 1.4x II / 2x II
600EX-II X3, 430EX-III X3

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,625 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Feb 06, 2013 12:40 |  #37

I too use ShutterSnitch and my retina iPad when in the field. It's great for my intended purpose (assuring critical focus and reviewing shots in the field)

sonnyc
Cream of the Crop
5,160 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Feb 06, 2013 17:49 |  #38

I use it in both IOS 5 on Ipad1 and IOS6 in Iphone 5. I also have it connected to the Toshiba Thrive too. The Android setup is more straight forward than apple devices.

I also use it in the Nikon V1 and the kids love it!

Sonny
website (external link)|Gear List

BirdsOfPreyDave
109 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 07, 2013 08:15 |  #39

facedodge wrote in post #15084844 (external link)
I was only interested in what they call "direct mode." That is I wanted to be able to send photos instantaneously from the camera to the ipad. This is intended for macro and for giving instant feedback to models or couples that I may be shooting.

I have a 5D3 so I am able to record RAW to CF and jpeg to the eye-fi card. I found that the best settings was S2 jpeg. S1 is slightly faster, but the resolution drop-off is not worth that extra second.

I have the same type of connection set up to my Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 using the Android app. I also have the RAW files going to CF and S2 JPEGs going to the Eye-Fi. I'm thoroughly pleased with the ease of use and speed of the transfers to my tablet. My primary use is to get feedback in the field on the larger screen. My eyes are getting too old, and even with my reading glasses I can't always see the camera's LCD screen as well as I'd like to. The S2 gives me all the resolution I need on the tablet, and transfers very quickly once the connection is established.

Luxornv wrote in post #15251675 (external link)
I have a just a more general Eyefi review here. I thought it was cool how it could instantly send photos to your computer or connected device, so I went and got one. When I travel, I typically leave my laptop at home or the hotel and just review my pictures on the screen on my camera. So, when I get home, I have about 200 photos to upload. This takes forever with an Eyefi card; I could transfer them to my computer in a few seconds if I just pull the SD card and put it in the slot on my computer. It's nice if I'm just taking a few pictures of my car or something else around the house. It just takes too long after some event I photographed. Perhaps I'm just not using it in the way it's meant to be used, but it actually made transferring pictures to my computer more cumbersome.

I originally bought an Eye-Fi card for each of my cameras, thinking this is exactly how I'd use them. I was very disappointed with the results, and the cards sat unused in the bottom of my camera bag for the past year. I was always trying to use them in network mode (vice direct connect) and uploading both full-quality RAW and JPEG images. At Disney World, where I take a good percentage of my photos, the network speeds in the hotels are absolutely awful. My camera would stay on all night until the battery died (leaving me without a charged battery in the morning), and I'd only have a small fraction of the images transferred.

I still plan to connect directly to the computer to download the RAW files, but I'm glad I've found this new use for the Eye-Fi cards.

Wish I'd RTFM a year ago and understood the various connection types better.

Dave ║ Hobbyist Photog, Motorcycle Enthusiast, and Avid Disney Fanatic ║ C/C always welcome
flickr (external link)Web Site (external link)Gear (external link)

facedodge
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,192 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 07, 2013 09:00 |  #40

^ Yeah I never saw the point in full size transfers especially when card readers are the size of thumb drives and are way faster and simpler.

To me the only use was reviewing the photos in real time on the iPad wirelessly. This is great for uploading something to facebook quickly, checking critical focus, and giving instant feedback to your model while you are snapping photos. Using a 5D3 and the ability to record full size on CF and small jpeg to eye-fi card was what made it possible and convenient.

Gear List | Feedback | facebook (external link) | [URL="http://www.flick​r.com/photos/wmcy2/"]flickr (external link)

0.0f
179 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Feb 07, 2013 09:38 |  #41

i am having a problem raw files are not being saved to my cf card only jpeg to the sd eyefi card what am i doing wrong?

EOS 5D MK3 - 24-70 MK2

BirdsOfPreyDave
109 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 07, 2013 10:42 |  #42

0.0f wrote in post #15582803 (external link)
i am having a problem raw files are not being saved to my cf card only jpeg to the sd eyefi card what am i doing wrong?

In the settings 1 menu (first screen under the picture of the wrench), there's an option for "Record func+card/folder sel."

If this is set to "Standard," the default, the camera will record the image only to the selected card.

If you want it to record RAW to CF and JPEG to SD, you need to change this setting to "Rec. separately." With this set, you can then select the type of file you want recorded on each card.

Dave ║ Hobbyist Photog, Motorcycle Enthusiast, and Avid Disney Fanatic ║ C/C always welcome

0.0f
179 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Feb 07, 2013 12:15 |  #43

BirdsOfPreyDave wrote in post #15583025 (external link)
In the settings 1 menu (first screen under the picture of the wrench), there's an option for "Record func+card/folder sel."

If this is set to "Standard," the default, the camera will record the image only to the selected card.

If you want it to record RAW to CF and JPEG to SD, you need to change this setting to "Rec. separately." With this set, you can then select the type of file you want recorded on each card.

Thank you

EOS 5D MK3 - 24-70 MK2

BirdsOfPreyDave
109 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 09, 2013 17:25 as a reply to  @ post 15215005 |  #44

If you're not actively reviewing photos on the tablet, you may want to set the camera back to standard mode and save only on the CF. Having it set to "Rec. Separately" kills the maximum burst. Mine goes from about 22 image burst capability in standard to 7 when recording to both cards.

tgara
Goldmember
2,336 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 10, 2013 05:23 |  #45

BirdsOfPreyDave wrote in post #15592050 (external link)
If you're not actively reviewing photos on the tablet, you may want to set the camera back to standard mode and save only on the CF. Having it set to "Rec. Separately" kills the maximum burst. Mine goes from about 22 image burst capability in standard to 7 when recording to both cards.

Thanks for this bit of info, Dave. I did not know this.

On my 5D3, I also use a CF card and an Eye Fi card. The Eye Fi uses a bit of battery power when it is transmitting, so your battery will wear down faster than normal. I've set the camera's Eye Fi settings (first screen on the Wrench menu) to the "My Menu" for fast access so I can turn it on and off quickly and save the battery.

EOS 5D Mark III
EOS Rebel SL1
Full Gear List

sponsored links

9,370 views & 0 likes for this thread
Eye-Fi to iPad - Quick Review
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.