Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
Thread started 05 Feb 2013 (Tuesday) 01:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

my first M42 orion

calypsob
Goldmember
1,177 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 05, 2013 01:46 |  #1

I have been slowly acquiring gear to do astrophotography, much of it is in the mail still, but the other day I realized that I could mount my camera to my CG5 mount using a macro focus rail, which turned out to be a very sturdy and accurate setup.
Mount - Celestron CG5-GT
Camera - Canon T3i unmodded
Lens - Sigma 70-300mm APO
Aperture - F/5.6
ISO - 400
Exposures - 7x 1 minute 10 seconds, un-guided
Darks - 7x 1 minute 10 seconds
Flats - None. I really wish I had taken some, I had no idea I would have vignette problems with a camera lens!
Total Exposure - 7 minutes 10 seconds
Stacked with DSS processed in CS6 as 32 bit tiff
I am looking forwards to this week because my auto guider package, field flattener, and t-thread arrive so I can put my new refractor to use!

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8191/8447107038_a73e7ec0bf_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/70374000@N08/8​447107038/  (external link)
First orion attempt (external link) by LMNO Sunset Deluxe (external link), on Flickr

Wes
-----------
flickr (external link)
Gear: Many gears Yes.

sponsored links
SteveInNZ
Goldmember
1,419 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 05, 2013 03:26 |  #2

Congratulations. It's a milestone.

"Treat every photon with respect" - David Malin.

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Feb 05, 2013 03:36 |  #3

Way to go.
Very nice.

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

calypsob
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,177 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 05, 2013 04:34 as a reply to  @ samsen's post |  #4

thanks everyone. Does a short higher iso exposure pull in more data than a long low iso exposure? I was shooting iso 1600 for 25 seconds, and the image would be completely blown at 35 seconds so I cut my iso down and then decided I didnt want alot of noise so I pushed my exposure lengths and settled at iso 400.

Wes
-----------
flickr (external link)

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,556 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 05, 2013 11:05 |  #5

That's a very good start however your at the very edge of clipping your BP . You may want to re work the original stacked image and be careful to watch your Histogram and not clip that BP. Also with a rework you can bring out the running man neb much better and adjust the colors better . Always keep in mind that just because the sky looks black doesn't mean the final image is suppose to be so dark you can't see small detail . You want to bring out as much detail as possible without being too dark .

Joe929
286 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 05, 2013 13:05 |  #6

Very nice.

Canon 7D, 24-105L, 100-400L, Tokina 11-16, 430 ex II
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/50204351@N02/ (external link)
http://joeogden.net/ (external link)

calypsob
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,177 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 06, 2013 01:06 |  #7

Celestron wrote in post #15575016 (external link)
That's a very good start however your at the very edge of clipping your BP . You may want to re work the original stacked image and be careful to watch your Histogram and not clip that BP. Also with a rework you can bring out the running man neb much better and adjust the colors better . Always keep in mind that just because the sky looks black doesn't mean the final image is suppose to be so dark you can't see small detail . You want to bring out as much detail as possible without being too dark .

Celestron can you advise any tutorials for editing astro images? I must admit that I used a light pollution removal technique which blackened the image alot, however quite effectively removed the light pollution. It involved duplicating the image into a layer, gaussian blur at 50% then inverting the image, turning down opacity of the inverted and blurred layer until I could see nebulosity of m42 in the original bottom layer and then I merged the two and turned up the blacks in a levels layer. I would like to start out by going in the right direction so I do not develop bad image editing habits so any info is appreciated. also does anyone know why the stars are elongated in the top right? Would flats help this at all? I have a theory that it is lens creep, sigma lenses are notorious for this but then again i suppose it could be barrel distortion? Not sure but next time I am going to use a heavy rubber band to make sure the lens stays permanently at 300mm.

Wes
-----------
flickr (external link)

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,556 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 06, 2013 15:57 |  #8

calypsob wrote in post #15577923 (external link)
Celestron can you advise any tutorials for editing astro images? I must admit that I used a light pollution removal technique which blackened the image alot, however quite effectively removed the light pollution. It involved duplicating the image into a layer, gaussian blur at 50% then inverting the image, turning down opacity of the inverted and blurred layer until I could see nebulosity of m42 in the original bottom layer and then I merged the two and turned up the blacks in a levels layer. I would like to start out by going in the right direction so I do not develop bad image editing habits so any info is appreciated. also does anyone know why the stars are elongated in the top right? Would flats help this at all? I have a theory that it is lens creep, sigma lenses are notorious for this but then again i suppose it could be barrel distortion? Not sure but next time I am going to use a heavy rubber band to make sure the lens stays permanently at 300mm.

What programs are you using to edit with now ? The technique you mentioned sounds some what like Jerry Lodriguss way of editing :

http://www.astropix.co​m/HTML/J_DIGIT/TOC_DIG​.HTM (external link)

calypsob
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,177 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 06, 2013 16:20 |  #9

Celestron wrote in post #15575016 (external link)

Celestron wrote in post #15580306 (external link)
What programs are you using to edit with now ? The technique you mentioned sounds some what like Jerry Lodriguss way of editing :

http://www.astropix.co​m/HTML/J_DIGIT/TOC_DIG​.HTM (external link)

I'm using DSS and CS6 I realized that the pill stars at the top right are coma and I can stop down to correct this. My light pollution technique came from here http://galacticfool.co​m …ight-pollution-photoshop/ (external link) I find DSS good for stacking but quite primitive for adjusting rgb, luminance, and saturation levels. I bounced my image from DSS as a 32bit tiff rational and editied that in CS6. I then flattened to 16bit and did the light pollution removal. I have not tried editing a fits file yet but I understand that nasa or some astronomy organization offeres a fits editor plugin for photoshop for free and I would like to try that. for now it is difficult to understand what the best methods are for processing so hopefully I can get pointed in the right direction. Jerry lodrigus seems to have some great techniques.

Wes
-----------
flickr (external link)

S.R.M.
Goldmember
1,563 posts
Gallery: 172 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 06, 2013 18:55 |  #10

Off to a great start Wes! Looks great.

Cheers,
Stephen

Stephen ----- flickr (external link)
---------------
6D; EF 16-35 f/4L IS USM; EF 24mm f/2.8 IS USM; EF 35mm f/2; EF 50mm f/1.8 II; EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM; EF 70-200 f/4L USM; Samyang 14mm f/2.8
; Samyang 24mm f/1.4

wargrafix
37 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Feb 06, 2013 20:23 |  #11

its exquisite. very delicate. makes me want to do some imaging. :-)

mtsheron
37 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 07, 2013 14:25 |  #12

Very nice! I use to shoot my XTi in conjunction with my Celestron CPC800. Sold both and wished I had not!

I am just a spoke in a broken wheel.......

fortisi876
493 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 07, 2013 17:01 |  #13

I'm as green as it gets in this part of the forum, but that looks like one beautiful image to me. Congrats!

sponsored links

1,820 views & 0 likes for this thread
my first M42 orion
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.