Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 06 Feb 2013 (Wednesday) 19:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

An example of beauty...

AlanMura
THREAD ­ STARTER
632 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Feb 07, 2013 12:51 |  #16

@PhilF
haha dude I love your retouching man!!! Also, cant wait to see what you and Irene come up with!

@Ken Robertson
Well, this is an interesting question. With this particular image I worked on it for about 3-4 hours and transferred to a different retoucher I use when I get too busy. So he and I both worked on this elapsing over 8hours.

As a side note, I have a retouching team here. 1 freelancer and one permanent retoucher. For commercial shoots, my permanent retroucher focuses on surfaces and inanimate objects (textures, chrome, reflective objects), while the freelancer finishes off what I start.

As far as payment etc. It is financially feasible for our clients to pay for all of this and it is normal for us to spend 1-2days on image retouching depending on the image. The reason it takes so long for our team is the megapixel count and workflow. I shoot at 39-50 megapixels at 16bit. The clarity of the image is so intense that it prolongs the process right off the bat. We then send it to color correction and preproduction where we print on ORIS.

When it comes to my commercial work, quality is absolutely necessary. With my test shoots with models and agencies i dont spend nearly this amount of time on an image as it doesnt make sense financially.

I hope this helps!!!

Thanks for all the positive words!

ALANMURA.COM (external link) | FACE (external link)BOOK (external link) | BLOG (external link)

sponsored links
sgtbueno
807 posts
Joined May 2012

Feb 07, 2013 20:58 |  #17

wow

Wedding Photography by Felix Bueno Photography (external link) -- Facebook (external link)
1x Canon 5DIII - 2X Canon 5D Mark II - Sigma 35 1.4 - Sigma 50 1.4 - Sigma 85 1.4 - Canon 85 1.2 - Canon 100L IS - Canon 135L F2 - Canon 16-35L II - Canon 70-200 2.8 II IS - 6X YN600EX-RT -Canon 580EX II X 2- Canon 430EX II X3- Yongnuo YN-565EX - and tons of Radio Poppers :)

bui_tran
92 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2011

Feb 07, 2013 21:07 |  #18

Very nice!

Moppie
14,845 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Feb 07, 2013 21:11 |  #19

AlanMura wrote in post #15581138 (external link)
No prob. Just keep in mind that the above image was worked on for over 8 hours.

Please spend another minute to resize it to meet the forum rules so we can all enjoy it :cool:

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

AlanMura
THREAD ­ STARTER
632 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Feb 07, 2013 22:19 |  #20

Moppie wrote in post #15585175 (external link)
Please spend another minute to resize it to meet the forum rules so we can all enjoy it :cool:

HAHAAAH! Ok. But the point was to show the detail in the skin... its difficult to tell when its downsized :/ Ill post it none the less but later tonight haha. Ive been here in the studio for 12+ hours and need a beer.

Everyone else thank you very, very much for all the positive words.

ALANMURA.COM (external link) | FACE (external link)BOOK (external link) | BLOG (external link)

Moppie
14,845 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Feb 07, 2013 22:28 |  #21

AlanMura wrote in post #15585362 (external link)
HAHAAAH! Ok. But the point was to show the detail in the skin... its difficult to tell when its downsized :/ Ill post it none the less but later tonight haha. Ive been here in the studio for 12+ hours and need a beer.

Everyone else thank you very, very much for all the positive words.

It's a pretty awesome bit of work, but rules is rules :cool:

Once you've had your beer, what about posting two, one resized and one a crop of the larger image?

Heres to 12 hour days with a beer at the end :cool:

flickr (external link)

ChadAndreo
Goldmember
1,879 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Feb 08, 2013 00:06 |  #22

AlanMura wrote in post #15581948 (external link)
Hey guys! Thanks for all the positive remarks!

@arjay702
lol dont sell your camera! just keep shooting.

ok. As for the lighting setup you can actually see it in her eyes. The only part that is tricky to tell is that the light srouce coming from her right (your left) is a bare strobe w/ cone, shot through a 4x8 scrim. the main light is a large profoto softbox about 2 feet above her head, slightly to her right, cross light. I almost always point the stobes DOWN. I never butterfly or side light... well, rarely. What ends up happening is the main light causes a beautiful hair glow, but harsh chin shadows. So I cross light a bare strobe / skrim to lighten those areas. But its not an exact science... I dont always shoot this way I just prefer to shoot with lights pointing down. The image is also shot stopped down by 1fstop. I raise the exposure in post.

The key to remember is that most people start out and retouch their images in a matter of minutes. A workflow like this:

-heal brush to remove blemishes
-levels to correct contrast and exposure
-duplicate base layer and apply gaussian blur
-reduce gaussian blur opacity

This is a TERRIBLE way.

Heal brush sucks because it removes texture. Small minor blemishes can be removed with it, but if its a dark spot its better to use the clone tool set to lighten mode at 10-15% flow. This way you can select a region that matches the desired tone and merely paint the blemish away by adding texture from another area of the skin.

Anyway, the whole workflow takes hours, and I shot the above image at 40MP so it takes even longer. but patience is crucial with retouching.

anyway, I would be happy to answer any other questions when/if i can.

thanks again for all the positive remarks.

What do you think about this article/video?
http://phlearn.com …d-healing-brush-different (external link)

Photographer + Cinematographer
LETS CONNECT - SOCIAL PHOTOGRAPHY SITE LINKS | Website (external link) | Wedding Site (external link) |
| Flickr  (external link) | Gear | 500px  (external link) | Tumblr (external link)

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Feb 08, 2013 00:46 |  #23

^^^
Good.
A bit lengthy for me but your transits are very good with good synchronous audio.
Simple instruction that is well understood but repeatations add to length.

Side note; With edges, you can always use magic wand or lasso tool to select one side (To be processed), then selectively apply Healing tool that will not affect the edge or other side as that is not selected.

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

AlanMura
THREAD ­ STARTER
632 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Feb 08, 2013 01:01 |  #24

In regards to the pflearn video.

I think it has some merit. its a good general explanation. persoanlly, i still think a clone stamp set to darken or lighten provides better results. but heal brush is much faster.

Moppie
14,845 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Feb 08, 2013 01:24 |  #25

AlanMura wrote in post #15585808 (external link)
I think it has some merit. its a good general explanation. persoanlly, i still think a clone stamp set to darken or lighten provides better results. but heal brush is much faster.

I'll second that, the heal brush is very good at destroying fine detail.
It works very well on areas where that is not a problem, like removing spots from smooth surfaces, or in images that will be presented at low resolution.

But the Clone stamp still better, just a lot slower.

flickr (external link)

PhilF
Cream of the Crop
5,737 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 08, 2013 01:35 |  #26

Ken Robertson wrote in post #15582123 (external link)
Whilst it is a nice image - 'over 8 hours' is and extraordinary length to spend on 1 shot - does this really reap you over 1 days salary/income? I take it that excludes the travel time and shooting elapsed time.

What would the rough income be for this shot ?

i know retouchers who charges $75 to $150 per hour..... high end retouching who works with Elle ,
Bazaar, Vouge etc.

http://philfernandezph​otography.com (external link)
http://www.philfashion​photography.com (external link)
https://www.instagram.​com/philfernimagery/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/philfphotography (external link)

AlanMura
THREAD ­ STARTER
632 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Feb 08, 2013 11:22 |  #27

@Phil Yeah sounds about right.

sponsored links

3,838 views & 0 likes for this thread
An example of beauty...
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.