Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 06 Feb 2013 (Wednesday) 12:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

3 leg sections vs 4 leg sections... does it really matter anymore?

tgara
Goldmember
2,336 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 06, 2013 21:09 |  #16

mafoo wrote in post #15580092 (external link)
As you can see, the difference when collapsed is quite a bit, so the inconvenance of an added lock is acceptable. However if it really does impact stability, I then have to think more about it.

I guess a basic question would be: How stable do you need the tripod to be? What do you plan to shoot with it where incremental differences in tripod stability would make a difference in your final photo product?

EOS 5D Mark III
EOS Rebel SL1
Full Gear List

sponsored links
peter_n
Goldmember
2,462 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 06, 2013 22:02 |  #17

I use a 4 leg section 3-series systematic, and I have it because its folded length is 21.7" and I can take it on planes. It has more than enough stability for me as I don't use DSLRs or long lenses.

~Peter

mafoo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,503 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 06, 2013 22:12 |  #18

tgara wrote in post #15581296 (external link)
I guess a basic question would be: How stable do you need the tripod to be? What do you plan to shoot with it where incremental differences in tripod stability would make a difference in your final photo product?

Well, for me, if I am going to spend between $400-$1000 on a pair of legs, I want them to do whatever I plan to shoot over the next 20 years.

However right now, long exposure landscaps.

-Jeremy
5D Mk II | SL1 | 24-105 f4.0L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS | S35 1.4 | 40 2.8 Pancake | Samyang 14 2.8 | 430EX II

S_Egbert
224 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Feb 07, 2013 06:07 as a reply to  @ mafoo's post |  #19

I chose a Gitzo 3541xls for the following reasons:
I am 6'4''
3 sections extended = eye level when I want it.
4 sections allow for hillside accommodation or bridging terrain like small streams or for overhead shots.
Exponentially greater vibration damping than my Manfrotto 3021ProB, even at full extension.
Still gets flat on the ground when needed.

Most of the time the fourth section never sees the light of day, but it is there when I need it.

Yes it is very long when collapsed and not a good candidate for a travel tripod, but its other versatility allows me to over look that.

Steve

nathan549
155 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 07, 2013 07:39 |  #20

its called a Tripod, tri meaning three, seems to make more sense if it has three legs and three extensions. its not a Quadpod :P

All kidding aside, i feel that a three leg is more stable then 4 leg extensions. But in reality there is very minimal differences. im 6 foot even and three extensions work perfectly, if you're 7 foot then you might need to get the four leg extension :P

Canon 60D - 24-70mm 2.8 L II - 70-200mm 2.8 L IS II - Speedlight 600 ex-rt - Broncolor Move 1200L pack + A2L pack + MobiLED flash head

DavidR
Goldmember
1,544 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 07, 2013 08:59 as a reply to  @ nathan549's post |  #21

With modern high end tripods, it would take extreme conditions in order to see any difference in the photos between a 3 vs 4 section tripod. I think the first decision between the two should be, do you need a smaller folded length or a faster setup/take down, with stability second.

Saying that, I went with a 3 section, 4 series tripod for the speed and the utmost in stability. My thought is one should always use the most stable camera support that one is willing to carry.

Sony a9II

SYS
Cream of the Crop
10,753 posts
Gallery: 270 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2004

Feb 07, 2013 09:11 |  #22

I'm about to pull the trigger on Feisol Tournament CT-3442 Rapid 4-Section Carbon Tripod. Its max load is 22 lbs, 18.9" folded length and only weighs 2.31 lbs. Perfect all around at less than $400. I'm not worried about its stability issues due to its 4-section legs.

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear

Yno
862 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 07, 2013 09:18 as a reply to  @ nathan549's post |  #23

I have a three section and a four section tripod (different models so I don't compare performance) and I just find that it is faster to set up the tripod with fewer locks. If I am not moving too far at a time, I just put it over my shoulder with the legs extended, but when I move a bit further, it is more trouble to use the four section tripod. It is so much lighter, though, I don't complain (much).

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
www.imawino.com (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
42,720 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 07, 2013 15:21 |  #24

mafoo wrote in post #15581467 (external link)
Well, for me, if I am going to spend between $400-$1000 on a pair of legs, I want them to do whatever I plan to shoot over the next 20 years.

However right now, long exposure landscaps.

I used a Bogen 3221 (Manfrotto) for many years with great satisfaction with a medium format kit. Then I took it on a trip to Hawaii, with same medium format gear, and set it up on a gusting, windy day. I then noticed the fact that the wind would use my long FL lens as a sail, and the tripod would torque about the center column (which I normally did not elevate!). THAT is when lower torsional rigidity will manifest itself. The smaller diameter leg sections of the 4-section leg will be inherently less rigid, thereby contributing to lower torsional rigidity.

Many folks would be like me (before Hawaii trip)...oblivious to the torsional rigidity characteristics of their tripod, and happier than a pig in sh*t

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

rklepper
Dignity-Esteem-Compassion
8,994 posts
Joined Dec 2003
Location: No longer living at the center of the known universe, moved just slightly to the right. Iowa, USA.

Feb 08, 2013 07:12 |  #25

It really depends upon the use. If your tripod safely supports the weight then all other things being equal it probably does no make any difference. It is only as you approach the weight limits that this will become an issue.

Doc Klepper in the USA
I
am a photorealist, I like my photos with a touch of what was actually there.
Polite C&C always welcome, Thanks. Gear List

MsKutispwet
118 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Feb 08, 2013 07:24 |  #26

Physics is Physics and there's no changing that, I think the best answer to your question is to try the tripod in actuality. I've had experiences where the specs looked real good but it's always different when you're in the store trying it on and experiencing it.

sponsored links

4,113 views & 0 likes for this thread
3 leg sections vs 4 leg sections... does it really matter anymore?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.