Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
Thread started 22 Jan 2013 (Tuesday) 23:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Grand canyon - grand circle trip - 14 days

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Jan 22, 2013 23:57 |  #1

I'm in for 14 days of photographer's paradise.

Zion, arches, canyonlands, grand canyon, petrified forest, de chelly and maybe capital reef.

We're going to try to limit the backpacking trips for one night because neither me or my gf have done a whole lot of backpacking and never been to the desert... or altitude.

I've spent the last 2 weeks booking everything and we're going to be staying in the parks.

Do you have any tips? Photography and general travel in the area.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

sponsored links
blueM
"I am the Prince of Dorkness"
1,662 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jan 23, 2013 07:46 |  #2

Time of the year you are going? Might be a help to those who have advice to offer

Kevin

Gear List

fabianvs
37 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jan 23, 2013 12:25 |  #3

find out what spots intrigue you the most during the day and return to them at sunrise/sunset, bring a tripod, and ALOT of water

Canon 5D Mark III
FVSphoto (external link) - 500px (external link) - Facebook (external link) :cool:

DocFrankenstein
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Jan 23, 2013 17:26 |  #4

blueM wrote in post #15523621 (external link)
Time of the year you are going? Might be a help to those who have advice to offer

I'm going to be there first half of may.

irishman
Goldmember
4,098 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 23, 2013 17:50 |  #5

DocFrankenstein wrote in post #15525723 (external link)
I'm going to be there first half of may.

Very good time to go--just before the heavy tourist season hits and you should still have good weather. One thing you probably won't be able to do that time of year is the hike up the Virgin River (Zion Narrows), an incredible experience but the spring runoff will probably be too high.
Temps can be well into the 90's the first week of May--stay hydrated. Bring a GPS/map. Buy Laurent Martes's books on "Photographing the Southwest." Stay on trail, leave no trace. Read Edward Abbey and a book on Everett Reuss. Enjoy our neck of the woods ;).

6D, G9, Sigma 50 1.4, Sigma 15mm Fisheye, Sigma 50 2.8 macro, Nikon 14-24G 2.8, Canon 16-35 2.8 II, Canon 24-105 f/4 IS, Canon 70-200 2.8 IS, tripod, lights, other stuff.

DocFrankenstein
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Jan 23, 2013 19:26 |  #6

I want to go on "dry" canyoneering day trip in zion.

I'm comfortable climbing and with vertical dimension in general. But I don't want to wade and bother with wetsuits.

Is there something suitable? Rappell down somewhere where it's dry and hike out the same day?

pudgy_groundhog
Goldmember
1,161 posts
Joined May 2010

Jan 24, 2013 08:50 |  #7

I'm not sure how much "dry canyoneering" is available in Zion. Most of the stuff I'm aware of involves water. You could try bogley.com to see if they have any suggestions (an outdoor website mostly focused on canyoneering). I think you would have a better shot at a trip like that around Moab. It was some years ago, but I did a trip with Desert Highlights in Lomatium Canyon and it was pretty much dry (one place we took off our shoes). I don't think they offer that trip anymore, but if you are doing it independently you could look into that one.

Have you been to the southwest before (not sure if places you haven't mentioned you've already visited)? Is your itinerary set in stone? If you are a backpacker, I would strongly consider adding Coyote Gulch in Escalante (there are also some canyoneering trips in Escalante, but I think most involve water).

If you are staying around Zion and haven't been to Bryce, it's worth a day trip or an overnight stay.

If it's at all possible, I would try to squeeze in some time in Page. That's one of my favorite areas (especially if you are willing to get off the beaten path) - a lot of great things to explore and photograph there.

No matter what you choose you'll have a great trip - enjoy!

- Katherine
pictures from the pudge (external link)

RedCanyoneer
168 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 30, 2013 13:16 |  #8

I second checking bogley.com, and you might want to check the "sister" site, climb-utah.com. It's subscription to get to the "good stuff", but well worth it.

Geonerd
541 posts
Joined May 2009

Feb 02, 2013 20:06 |  #9

There are roughly 3.2 bazillion slot canyons in the area. You ought to be able to find some that are sufficiently 'interesting,' without being too technical.

Try these links
http://www.americansou​thwest.net/slot_canyon​s/map.html (external link)
http://www.canyoneerin​gusa.com/utah/ (external link)
http://www.toddshiking​guide.com/ (external link)
http://www.archmillenn​ium.net/Slot_Canyon_Sc​enes.htm (external link)

Keep an eye on the road conditions. A Spring storm can transform a well graded dirt road into an impassable wallow of goo. http://www.usa-reporter.com …Road-Condition-Report.pdf (external link)

"Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk!" - E. Weston

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 02, 2013 22:43 |  #10

There's too many wonderful places to mention here, but I can assure you, the two of you are going ot have a wonderful time!

Bryan

My Gear List

woodriffY
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 08, 2013 20:19 |  #11

I am eyeing on the grand canyon for years now. I am just amazed with how the formation happened. Share some photos of your shoot here. :)

"The surest way not to fail is to determine to succeed." value point distribution (external link)

DocFrankenstein
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Feb 08, 2013 20:24 |  #12

woodriffY wrote in post #15589098 (external link)
I am eyeing on the grand canyon for years now. I am just amazed with how the formation happened. Share some photos of your shoot here. :)

It's quite easy to do and it's not very expensive if you have the gear to camp. And I hear there's a lot of free campsites as well.

Tickets to LA are not expensive
Car rental is a cost
Beyond that is 10 bucks per day for campsites
And I hear there's some sort of train service as well

Booking it all is tedious. But I have a feeling I'll be coming back.
http://www.us-parks.com/the-grand-circle.html (external link)

Rivest
Cream of the Crop
6,678 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 08, 2013 20:45 |  #13

I hope you'll have fun! I've left Montreal with my girlfriend to roadtrip all across Canada and the US, Grand Canyon is indeed in our destination!

Hi, I'm David.

sponsored links

2,489 views & 1 like for this thread
Grand canyon - grand circle trip - 14 days
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.