Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Urban Life & Travel Talk 
Thread started 25 Jan 2013 (Friday) 19:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Ugh... Spain/Paris - tripod?

kaitlyn2004
Goldmember
1,676 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 25, 2013 19:59 |  #1

Going to be going for a 2 week vacation, a week each in Spain (Alicante, mainly) and Paris

Planning to bring:
- Canon 7D
- Canon 10-22mm
- Canon 17-55mm f2.8
- PROBABLY Canon 580ex II

Thing is, I also want a tripod - I think! All the beautiful night shots in paris and stuff...

What do you guys think? Should I definitely bring my Manfrotto + the head, or what? It's definitely a big, other object to bring along (although yes, my flipside 300 has a tripod holder)

My Landscape Photography Videos (external link)
My Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 25, 2013 20:01 |  #2

I would bring it. Very many potential night shots in Paris as you say, wouldn't be possible without a tripod. Alternatively, you could try and find a smaller travel tripod. The most important thing is that you do have some form of camera support :)

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

ejenner
Goldmember
3,806 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 25, 2013 23:24 as a reply to  @ Sirrith's post |  #3

I've always had a light tripod (<3lb), so I've always carried it with me and found it invaluable. Even if there is a decent about of light, setting up the shot, getting the comp just right and waiting for the clouds or sunset - invaluable.

I had a $160 Giottos (legs and head) and it was great for this kind of thing.

Edward Jenner
5DIV, M6, GX1 II, Sig15mm FE, 16-35 F4,TS-E 17, TS-E 24, M11-22, M18-150 ,24-105, T45 1.8VC, 70-200 f4 IS, 70-200 2.8 vII, Sig 85 1.4, 100L, 135L, 400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

kaitlyn2004
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,676 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 26, 2013 08:34 |  #4

Thoughts on whether I should bring my manfrotto 190cxpro4 or get done smaller travel-specific tripod?

My Landscape Photography Videos (external link)
My Instagram (external link)

marfot
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 26, 2013 09:27 |  #5

kaitlyn2004 wrote in post #15535717 (external link)
Thoughts on whether I should bring my manfrotto 190cxpro4 or get done smaller travel-specific tripod?

I recommend a smaller tripod for long walks. I personally use Sirui T-1005X tripod with simply Triopo RS-1 head. It is lightweight set, easy to use and not expensive.
In Paris there are some places where you don't need a tripod at night:

IMAGE: http://imageshack.us/a/img705/8899/paris2762.jpg

...but there are many situations where the tripod is a must:

IMAGE: http://imageshack.us/a/img35/1196/paris2949.jpg

5DII, C16-35/4L IS, C35/2IS, C70-300L IS

Lbsimon
...never exercised in my life
2,682 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 26, 2013 13:35 |  #6

Just make sure your tripod is lightweight. I never been to Alicante, but many times in Paris. Nights shot of Paris can be amazing. Just keep in mind that you are going to walk all day, your shoulders are going to be sore from carrying your camera bag. You may want to leave the tripod in the hotel room during the day, and take it out with you at night.

5D Mark IV | 6D | S110
EF 17-40L | EF 24-105L (two) | EF 70-200L F4 IS | EF 100-400L II | EF 85 1.8 | EF 50 1.8 STM | Canon 1.4x III | Canon 1.4x II
Yongnuo 685 | Nissin Di622 M2 | Nissin Di422

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 26, 2013 19:31 |  #7

I'd say your current tripod should be alright. It folds pretty much to the same size (a little bit longer perhaps) and weighs just a little bit more (around 2-300g) than a full size travel tripod. I don't really see the need to buy a whole new tripod and sacrifice height and stability which you will have to do in order to gain any substantial weight savings. Just leave the tripod at the hotel except for when you are actually setting out to take long exposure shots and you'll be fine. You also have a backpack, which means that the weight will be far better distributed and you shouldn't be too tired after walking around the whole day (which I do recommend you do in Paris, you see so much more of the city that way than if you take the metro).

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

gotak
949 posts
Joined May 2009

Jan 26, 2013 21:09 |  #8

A few things I experienced:

1) At the airport they saw the spike feet and tools for swapping feet for my benro and asked their manager if I was allowed to bring that on the plane. At Pearson in Toronto no one bat an eye lid. Although another time at Pearson I have had a set of allen keys taken away from be cause I forgotten I had them on me

2) If you are traveling with someone who isn't carrying a camera kit it is of course possible to use them as a pack mule for your tripod. As my benro's relatively light I usually have my wife carry it when we travel. When she gets tired than I take it back. It's win win as I can carry a few more lb in my pack for camera stuff and she gets her photos. Now I got my OM-D I think that's going to change though she knows the new kit is feather light :P

3) You need the tripod you are going on a trip that likely cost a fair amount of money. Why would you want to go and not be able to get the shot?

Tripod shot (didn't necessarily needed the pod but helped:

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7243/7163990026_ee363c7846_b.jpg

Also did this without a tripod:

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7088/7168078716_1ce51be21e_b.jpg

It's actually a 3 shot HDR. The 7D, IS lens and fast burst rate means it was possible to do that without resorting to a tripod. Tripod wasn't allowed inside Sainte-Chapelle anyhow.

http://bubble-trees.com/ (external link)
7D x2,, 50 f1.8, 11-16 f2.8, 17-55 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 IS II, 100 2.8L, 430EX, 580EX, Di866, pixel king wireless TTL trigger.

Mike ­ Photo
530 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2006

Feb 01, 2013 15:57 |  #9

If carrying around the tripod or flying with it is a concern there are several great tips for shooting night time photos with out one. A photographer I work with travels abroad almost every month and I do all his editing. when I get the images Im always amazed at the long exposure shots he does without a tripod.

With a little practice you can learn how to steady a camera on a monopod using a neck strap and something to lean against creating a three point stabilizer.

Also for really long exposures you can use your camera bag or goodsize beanbag to position your camera, on then use a remote trigger with mirror up. It takes a little more pre-thought into framing your shot and finding the right place to place your camera but youll get good sharp shots that way.

lastly two other ideas that require small purchases. you can take your nice tripod head and place it on a 6-8" sturdy manfroto folding legs or one of the large heavy duty Joby gorilla pods. We have used the gorilla pod in our travels a lot you can adhere it to almost anything and it will hold the wait of a full size camera with 70-200 lens.

hope this helps and offers an alternative to a tripod

Instagram (external link)
MIKE PHOTO

squashed
Goldmember
4,156 posts
Gallery: 71 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 09, 2013 07:54 |  #10

Here is my European Tripod and it works perfectly !!

http://thepod.ca/ (external link)

Done with Numbers. Own the X and the R
http://www.garyyoungph​otography.com (external link)

sponsored links

2,995 views & 0 likes for this thread
Ugh... Spain/Paris - tripod?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Urban Life & Travel Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.