Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 04 Feb 2013 (Monday) 09:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

CS5 adding Fringing and other junk... Can this be avoided?

sticknpuck
THREAD ­ STARTER
205 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 09, 2013 09:38 |  #31

Sorry for the long delay, got busy around here the last couple days...

Well sure enough - I CAN export a PSD from lightroom and open it in CS5 without any of the crazy artifacts and fringing etc. I can even use the "edit in Photoshop" function from lightroom after I import (synchronize) that PSD.

So happy this works and really appreciate for all your suggestions and troubleshooting.

Still don't understand why the "edit in" function won't work on the RAW file though....?

Matt
flickr (external link)

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,000 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 10, 2013 05:02 |  #32

I have had some similar problems in the past moving 300D CRW files from LR4.0 to PSCS5 using the edit in command. It added all sorts of crazy fringing effects. If I saved as a PSD file and then opend it it worked fine. I think it had/has something to do with the way LR renders the image as it is passed across.
I was using CS3 with LR4 originally and there is a difference between the way CS versions prior to CS4 handel the transfer that meant one had to make a selection that effectivly forced LR to create the PSD/TIFF file on export rather than just passing a rendered image that is simply "opend" in PS. When doing the transfer to CS3 the PSD (in my case) was always generated whether I save or not. With the direct edit in command with CS5 the PSD file is only generated when you hit save in PS. If you close the image in CS5 without saving the PSD file is not generated.

As this seemed to stop happening to me I figured that whatever miss match there was had been fixed in an LR update. It would be nice to be able to figure out how to force LR to perform the "forced" rendering of images into PSCS versions above 4 if this bug has not been fully fixed. I did post about this at the time but did not get much help as no one else had had the problem. When I first looked at this thread your convoluted work flow threw me off, but your last post reminded me of the problems that I had had. If Elei is still using CS2 then his edit in command will be automatically forcing LR to full render the PSD at export which seems to "fix" the problem. Moving to CS6 would also probably fix the error as as you say both programs have access to the "same" RAW rendering system. I do not think in this situation that simply changing the process version is necessarily going to fix things as I think the problem is in a different part of the system.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,475 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Feb 10, 2013 17:14 |  #33

If Elei is still using CS2 then his edit in command will be automatically forcing LR to full render the PSD at export which seems to "fix" the problem.

Yes, the file itself doesn't seem to be any different if it is created by Export or by Edit In; the only difference is that Edit In puts the psd in the same folder as the Raw and then watches that folder, automatically updating the preview of the psd after changes are saved in PS, while in Export you get to choose the folder. Of course you can choose the original folder and that difference disappears.

Elie / אלי

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,000 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 11, 2013 04:34 |  #34

Elie using the edit in function with CS4 or above with LR4 as I said dose it differently, the image is somehow passed directly into PS without first creating a .PSD file, just as if it had been passed from ACR to PS. I have been back to one of the original images that was causing my issues, and it now exports fine.

I think when I originally had the problem that it was an issue with using high levels of highlight/shadow recovery in P2012 combined with high levels of CA/Fringing correction form the cheap Sigma 28-300mm lens that I was using.

I guess that the OP will have to use the work round of doing an export as a .PSD/.TIFF file opening it in PS and then having to import the .PSD/.TIFF back into LR that worked for me, until Adobe issue a fix. I could find no way to force LR to fully render the file with CS5 as I had to do it with CS3.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Feb 13, 2013 10:14 |  #35

sticknpuck wrote in post #15590594 (external link)
Still don't understand why the "edit in" function won't work on the RAW file though....?

BigAl007 wrote in post #15597189 (external link)
I guess that the OP will have to use the work round of doing an export as a .PSD/.TIFF file opening it in PS and then having to import the .PSD/.TIFF back into LR that worked for me, until Adobe issue a fix. I could find no way to force LR to fully render the file with CS5 as I had to do it with CS3.

The first time you tried, you should have gotten a dialog with the choice to let either LR or ACR render the Raw. ("Render using LR/Open anyway")
Try resetting your warning dialogs.

On LR4 vs ACR 6:
http://members.lightro​omqueen.com …sion-of-acr-and-photoshop (external link)

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2,741 views & 0 likes for this thread
CS5 adding Fringing and other junk... Can this be avoided?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.