Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 24 Nov 2012 (Saturday) 08:02
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "What lens and why?"
50L
36%
Canon 50 F/1.4
39.9%
Sigma 50 F/1.4
24.2%

178 voters, 178 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Which 50mm lens and why?

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
8,999 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 08, 2013 15:04 |  #61

Dillan_K wrote in post #15587773 (external link)
I think getting accurate, sharp photos wide open has much more to do with the skill of the photographer than the limitations of his or her equipment.

True to a point. There is a technique to shooting at large apertures (part of that is knowing when to shoot wide open), but even with good techique, unless you're manually focusing, you're ultimately at the mercy of the AF drive to nail the focus with such a shallow depth of field (where the margin of error is extremely small)....the AF drive determines how consistently you're able to nail the focus, even with good technique. No amount of technique can correct the fact that the AF occasionally drive misses. I've owned the 50 1.8, 1.4, and 1.2. The 1.2 fairs better than the 1.4 and 1.8 in terms of auto focus accuracy, but even it is far from perfect.

The 85L is an example of a lens that has an extremely reliable, and extremely precise AF drive. It's AF drive is horrendously slow, but it very consistently nails the focus wide open, and very easily pops out sharp photos at an extremely shallow depth of field. My hit rate with the 50 mm's is much lower, though again the 50L fairs much better than the other two.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII
Zeiss Loxia 21 - Canon 24-70 2.8LII - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - Sony 50 1.8 - Sony 85GM - Sigma 135 f1.8 ART

anscochrome
443 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 08, 2013 17:20 |  #62

50mm F 1.4 Yashica ML-a great lens if you can find it "cheap". Throw a long hood on it, and you are good to go:)

http://anscochrome.zen​folio.com (external link)

Mike ­ K
Goldmember
1,637 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Feb 09, 2013 23:07 |  #63

Of course the question is what are you going to shoot with your 50? For me the priority is landscapes, and I have been exceptionally happy with Zeiss 50/2 makro planar. I owned the Canon 50/1.4, sent it back to Canon a couple of times but was never enthusiastic to use it.
Mike K

Canon 6D, 1DmkII, IR modified 5DII with lots of Canon L, TSE and Zeiss ZE lenses

h4ppydaze
Goldmember
1,329 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Feb 10, 2013 00:52 |  #64

Sigma AF can be dodgy but it's a dream of a lens when it's calibrated right. Much better rendition than the Canon 50... I had to send mine in but I'm very happy with it now. The AF is still a bit dodgy compared to my other lenses (especially in servo) but I'd have this over the Canon 1.4 any day, which crapped out on me after one week. The AF just gave up.

For the price it's got to be the best of the choices.

Edit: Also the siggy is a bit wider than the Canon 50mm 1.4, in field of view

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

8,117 views & 0 likes for this thread
Which 50mm lens and why?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.