Ginga wrote in post #15593576
Thanks for the review. Very interesting stuff!
3 quick questions:
1. Can this be done together with an Android device? Like the Samsung Galaxy series?
2. With the 5D3, can you really shoot both RAW and Jpeg at the same time? Like RAW to CF and low res Jpeg to SD Eye-fi? I guess this question is kinda dumb, but I don't own a 5D3.
3. Will the files transfer directly and automatically, even if the iPad or other designated device is in standby mode (screen off and password locked)?
1. yes, and in fact it is better under android than ipad. see answer to 3 below.
3. not under ipad/iphone (you need to keep the app open if you want to receive files, and under direct mode you need to make ipad connect to the correct AP, especially when there are known APs around). yes under android (it is running as service, so you can run whatever app and you'll still get pics from camera, you'll get notification when a pic arrives). the android app will also notify you when the eyefi card enters direct mode, not so with the ios app.
my setup: disable direct mode, pair eyefi card to android's portable hotspot so eyefi will connect to it. make eyefi card transfer pics to android app. make 5D3 save RAW to CF and small JPEG to SD (the eyefi card). when on assignment, simply turn on personal hotspot, and eyefi will automatically transfer pics to android app. (there are widgets to turn on/off personal hotspot in one touch on google play). if the eyefi android app is open, it will display pic as it arrives. perfect for quick previewing.
EDIT: oh, and pic still get transferred while device is in sleep mode, as long as you turn on 'keep wifi on during sleep', but not required if you are using the device's portable hotspot.