Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 05 Oct 2012 (Friday) 17:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Eye-Fi to iPad - Quick Review

Ginga
370 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 10, 2013 06:01 |  #46

Thanks for the review. Very interesting stuff! :)

3 quick questions:

1. Can this be done together with an Android device? Like the Samsung Galaxy series?

2. With the 5D3, can you really shoot both RAW and Jpeg at the same time? Like RAW to CF and low res Jpeg to SD Eye-fi? I guess this question is kinda dumb, but I don't own a 5D3. :)

3. Will the files transfer directly and automatically, even if the iPad or other designated device is in standby mode (screen off and password locked)?

Sony A7R * 70-200 2.8L II * 24-70L II * Samyang 14
Recently sold: 5DIII * Sigma 35 *

sponsored links
0.0f
179 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Feb 10, 2013 07:24 |  #47

just to say i got a 8gb sandisk eyefi card last week and also purchased the shuttersnitch app. all set-up without any faults and now i can send jpegs to my ipad without any fuss. great tool to use on the fly. recommended.

EOS 5D MK3 - 24-70 MK2

tgara
Goldmember
2,336 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 10, 2013 08:03 |  #48

Ginga wrote in post #15593576 (external link)

3 quick questions:

1. Can this be done together with an Android device? Like the Samsung Galaxy series?

2. With the 5D3, can you really shoot both RAW and Jpeg at the same time? Like RAW to CF and low res Jpeg to SD Eye-fi? I guess this question is kinda dumb, but I don't own a 5D3. :)

3. Will the files transfer directly and automatically, even if the iPad or other designated device is in standby mode (screen off and password locked)?

1. Don't know. I use exclusively Apple stuff.

2. The 5D3 has a CF card slot and an SD card slot. You can program the camera to record whichever filetype and quality you want onto each card. Mine is programmed to record RAW onto the CF card and JPGs onto the Eye Fi SD card. When I'm shooting, each image is recorded in both formats to the respective cards. The JPGs show up immediately on my iMac or iPad via wifi transfer.

3. I believe so. Mine is set up so that if I am not on my home network (default), after about a minute the Eyefi card switches to Direct Mode and the pictures will transfer to my iPad automatically.

EOS 5D Mark III
EOS Rebel SL1
Full Gear List

Ginga
370 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 10, 2013 08:23 |  #49

tgara wrote in post #15593765 (external link)
1. Don't know. I use exclusively Apple stuff.

2. The 5D3 has a CF card slot and an SD card slot. You can program the camera to record whichever filetype and quality you want onto each card. Mine is programmed to record RAW onto the CF card and JPGs onto the Eye Fi SD card. When I'm shooting, each image is recorded in both formats to the respective cards. The JPGs show up immediately on my iMac or iPad via wifi transfer.

3. I believe so. Mine is set up so that if I am not on my home network (default), after about a minute the Eyefi card switches to Direct Mode and the pictures will transfer to my iPad automatically.

Thanks for the answers! Sounds great!

Yeah I'm mostly on Apple too, except when it comes to my phone, hence why I asked. :)

Sony A7R * 70-200 2.8L II * 24-70L II * Samyang 14
Recently sold: 5DIII * Sigma 35 *

BirdsOfPreyDave
109 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 10, 2013 09:02 |  #50

Yes. I'm using it with a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 without any problems.

Dave ║ Hobbyist Photog, Motorcycle Enthusiast, and Avid Disney Fanatic ║ C/C always welcome
flickr (external link)Web Site (external link)Gear (external link)

priyadi
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 10, 2013 11:58 |  #51

3 quick questions:

1. yes, and in fact it is better under android than ipad. see answer to 3 below.

2. yes

3. not under ipad/iphone (you need to keep the app open if you want to receive files, and under direct mode you need to make ipad connect to the correct AP, especially when there are known APs around). yes under android (it is running as service, so you can run whatever app and you'll still get pics from camera, you'll get notification when a pic arrives). the android app will also notify you when the eyefi card enters direct mode, not so with the ios app.

my setup: disable direct mode, pair eyefi card to android's portable hotspot so eyefi will connect to it. make eyefi card transfer pics to android app. make 5D3 save RAW to CF and small JPEG to SD (the eyefi card). when on assignment, simply turn on personal hotspot, and eyefi will automatically transfer pics to android app. (there are widgets to turn on/off personal hotspot in one touch on google play). if the eyefi android app is open, it will display pic as it arrives. perfect for quick previewing.

EDIT: oh, and pic still get transferred while device is in sleep mode, as long as you turn on 'keep wifi on during sleep', but not required if you are using the device's portable hotspot.

mike1812
337 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 11, 2013 13:16 |  #52

I've had my Eye-Fi card for a while and have used it successfully with my iPhone and more recently, with my iPad mini - I love direct mode when I'm not anywhere near a wifi setup. My problem is Shuttersnitch. I would love to use this instead of Eye-Fi app, but for the love of jpegs, I can't get anything to transfer from the card to the Shuttersnitch app. Does Shuttersnitch REQUIRE a wifi network (i.e., no "direct" mode)? I looked at the FAQ on their website and THOUGHT I had all the settings correct for Shuttersnitch, but I get no joy AT ALL. Is there a trick I'm missing?

EF 135L | EF 70-300 L | ST-E3-RT | (4) Einstein E640s | Sekonic L-758 | Sony A7RII Gripped | Sony A7RIII Gripped | Sony 16-35GM | Sony FE 55 f/1.8 | Sony FE 85 f/1.4 GM | Sony FE 100-400GM | Sony 1.4x | Sony HVL-60M | Sigma MC-11 | Flashpoint Xplor AD600 | Flashpoint AD200 (2)| Flashpoint AD360 | plus too many doodads to list

SMP_Homer
Cream of the Crop
5,608 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 11, 2013 13:22 |  #53

I use shuttersnitch all the time - the only thing I can think of is you need to be in a folder to receive - it won't receive unless you're inside a folder

EOS R / 7D2 / 1D IV (and the wife has a T4i)
Sig35A, Sif50A, Sig85A, Sig14-24A, Sig24-105A, Sig70-200S, Sig150-600C
100-400L, 100L, 300 2.8L, 1.4x II / 2x II
600EX-II X3, 430EX-III X3

mike1812
337 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 11, 2013 14:39 |  #54

^^yep created a folder and was inside that. Nothing happened - and yes, I let it sit there for about an hour, waiting. . .went into EyeFi app and bam! everything came over within seconds. I'll keep playing around with it, and checking Shuttersnitch's faq's to see if I can ferret out the issue.

EF 135L | EF 70-300 L | ST-E3-RT | (4) Einstein E640s | Sekonic L-758 | Sony A7RII Gripped | Sony A7RIII Gripped | Sony 16-35GM | Sony FE 55 f/1.8 | Sony FE 85 f/1.4 GM | Sony FE 100-400GM | Sony 1.4x | Sony HVL-60M | Sigma MC-11 | Flashpoint Xplor AD600 | Flashpoint AD200 (2)| Flashpoint AD360 | plus too many doodads to list

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,714 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 11, 2013 15:28 |  #55

Tag.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

tgara
Goldmember
2,336 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 11, 2013 18:47 |  #56

digital paradise wrote in post #15599082 (external link)
Tag.

Tag! You're It! 😃

EOS 5D Mark III
EOS Rebel SL1
Full Gear List

mike1812
337 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 12, 2013 13:47 |  #57

D'OH! I figured out my mistake with Shuttersnitch. I should have watched their video first. I didn't realize that I had to have the camera ON with the eye-fi card "broadcasting" so that my iPad would see it when I logged in via Shuttersnitch. Once I did that, everything I shot AFTERWARD came over just fine.

Still unsure whether S/S requires a wifi network? When I was at a shoot this weekend, the Eye-Fi app worked in Direct Mode to transfer to the iPad. Not sure if Shuttersnitch will do the same?

tgara
Goldmember
2,336 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 12, 2013 20:40 as a reply to  @ mike1812's post |  #58

Just throwing this out there.... Derrick Story just posted an article to his blog about the new Toshiba FlashAir. It's a Wifi-enabled SD card, which he's tested and prefers over the Eye-Fi card and Shuttersnitch.

Worth a read.

http://thedigitalstory​.com …turn-your-camera-int.html (external link)

EOS 5D Mark III
EOS Rebel SL1
Full Gear List

mike1812
337 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 13, 2013 10:33 |  #59

From looking at the product info on the Toshiba card, I would view these as different devices for different users, even though they perform similar functions. If all you want to do is get images from your camera into your device, the Eye-Fi and Transcend cards would seem to be the more logical (but more expensive) choice. If you want to serve PDF's, documents, web pages, etc., the Toshiba card is more powerful. Both types are very nice products, but I view them as slightly different.

Is the Toshiba FlashAir persistent storage or temporary storage? I looked at the Toshiba website but could not tell. I know the Eye-Fi is not - as soon as images are transferred, the card wipes them to make room for more images. From the way the FlashAir is described, it seems as though it would need to be persistent storage to perform some of the described functions. This means you have to manage storage on the card (and 8gb isn't much). There's no IOS app, so you have to manage data on the FlashAir entirely through a web interface from your device.

SMP_Homer
Cream of the Crop
5,608 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 13, 2013 11:08 |  #60

mike1812 wrote in post #15602562 (external link)
Still unsure whether S/S requires a wifi network? When I was at a shoot this weekend, the Eye-Fi app worked in Direct Mode to transfer to the iPad. Not sure if Shuttersnitch will do the same?

yes, shuttersnitch can do direct modem transfers

EOS R / 7D2 / 1D IV (and the wife has a T4i)
Sig35A, Sif50A, Sig85A, Sig14-24A, Sig24-105A, Sig70-200S, Sig150-600C
100-400L, 100L, 300 2.8L, 1.4x II / 2x II
600EX-II X3, 430EX-III X3

sponsored links

9,357 views & 0 likes for this thread
Eye-Fi to iPad - Quick Review
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.