Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
Thread started 08 Feb 2013 (Friday) 08:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Star trails - enhanced

spotz04
Goldmember
1,971 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 08, 2013 08:47 |  #1

Had a chance to play around when we finally had a clear sky and no Moon up yet. The falling meteor was an unexpected bonus. :D

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i789.photobucke​t.com …_pics/STM_zpsc2​3112fd.jpg (external link)

5Dmk2, 24-70 (mk1) @24mm, f/2.8, ISO 800, 20 sec. 170 frames.

Workflow - all stacked (layered) in PS, reduced opacity incrementally, then to enhance the non-trailing stars in the very last pic I increased brightness and reduced contrast, and then repeated that step about 4 times while tweaking here and there. All very tedious work but I'm happy with this result compared to the typical stacking results using startrails.exe. Now I just need to get back to a dark sky area and try this on a more interesting landscape!:lol:

sponsored links
Joe929
286 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 08, 2013 09:27 |  #2

very nice.

Canon 7D, 24-105L, 100-400L, Tokina 11-16, 430 ex II
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/50204351@N02/ (external link)
http://joeogden.net/ (external link)

Toxic ­ Coolaid
Goldmember
1,060 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 08, 2013 10:17 |  #3

Very cool. It's worth the extra work. I need to take the time and do one.

Seasentinel
766 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Feb 08, 2013 21:21 as a reply to  @ Toxic Coolaid's post |  #4

Looks really nice!

Michelle [FONT=verdana]7D † Sigma 8-16 † Canon 24-70L * Sigma 18-250 * Rokinon 8mm * Sigma 30mm 1.4 * Canon 70-200 F/4L † Nikon SB-25 † Sunpak 383

My Flickrexternal link

flashpoint99
411 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Feb 08, 2013 21:36 |  #5

...............A+

spotz04
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,971 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 09, 2013 07:39 as a reply to  @ flashpoint99's post |  #6

Thanks guys!

JakePOTN
35 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 10, 2013 01:43 |  #7

That was a great idea. Star trails by themselves are amazing, but the the way you faded out the 'tails' really brought them to life...and gives them a sense of motion & direction. Really cool idea and it came out great!

How do you set PS to automatically ramp down opacity?

spotz04
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,971 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 10, 2013 07:47 |  #8

JakePOTN wrote in post #15593345 (external link)
That was a great idea. Star trails by themselves are amazing, but the the way you faded out the 'tails' really brought them to life...and gives them a sense of motion & direction. Really cool idea and it came out great!

How do you set PS to automatically ramp down opacity?

Thanks but I can't take credit for the idea as I got it from this guy --

https://plus.google.co​m …5653393/posts/H​2rsJ4orMFF (external link)

I reduced opacity manually on each layer, thus my comment about PP being tedious. From what I understand the only way to automate that process is with a custom written script or plug-in. You can't do it with an Action.

spotz04
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,971 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 10, 2013 08:28 as a reply to  @ spotz04's post |  #9

Here's another one I previously played around with (in my neighbor's backyard) to include the faded comet tail look. Shorter time frame, 52 pics stacked yielded the shorter tail.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i789.photobucke​t.com …T-test-sm_zps03e3d107.jpg (external link)

5D2, 17-40 @17mm, f/5, 30 sec, ISO 1250.

I incremented opacity 2% on each layer in PS. You also have to change each layer from Normal to Lighten mode to see the effects. If you want to reverse direction of the trails then reverse all of your layers first in PS and then change the opacity incrementally on each. I have a custom keyboard shortcut setup in PS under the keyboard's Layer's option "Reverse" to at least do this part automatically.

fortisi876
493 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 10, 2013 16:34 |  #10

Very nice photo's and effect, is there a tut somewhere showing how to get the trailing star affect?

spotz04
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,971 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 11, 2013 09:47 as a reply to  @ fortisi876's post |  #11

Several tutorials online if you google "star trails comets" with most all pointing to the same method used.

The easiest way (for me, at least, since I know it works) is to open Adobe Bridge, go to your folder and select your pics.
Click Tools menu, Photoshop, Load files into Photoshop Layers.
Once pics are loaded in PS as a individual layers change the Blending mode from Normal to Lighten on all of them.
Then beginning with the first image layer (on the very top of layer listing) incrementally change each until you reach the last image, which should be 100%. For example, if you have 20 images then you'll increment by 5%. ---- such as, first image layer at the top is 5%, second image layer 10%, third 15%, fourth 20%, etc., on down to the last image set at 100%. That's basically it.

There is a PS action available online to load all images and then change blending mode automatically to Lighten but its last step flattens the image, which then does not allow you to change the opacity on each layer. You could delete the Flatten step inside the action but I found when I did this the action started to produce errors in CS5, (not sure why, I didn't spend time investigating). The other issue the action includes every image in one single folder where you can't omit any pics if you wanted to, so then you'd have to first remove any unwanted pics in the folder and then run the action. Anyway, that download is available here if you want to play around with it--

http://www.schursastro​photography.com …/photoshop/Star​trails.atn (external link)

One last thing, you can't include changing opacity in an Action, PS doesn't allow it. That step would need to be custom written in a Script or a Plug-in, which I have not done (obviously). If any of you wrote one one of these and willing to share then I'd be really grateful!! :)

chrisg19
34 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Feb 11, 2013 12:33 |  #12

Wow that is great! Thanks for posting

CraigPatterson
287 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Feb 11, 2013 12:51 |  #13

Here's my tutorial on it:

https://photography-on-the.net …read.php?t=1231​934&page=4

and the image:

IMAGE: http://www.craigpatterson.com/photos/i-ngWGCfW/0/M/i-ngWGCfW-M.jpg

I have a ton of gear, but my gear is just a hammer.
www.craigpatterson.com (external link)

fortisi876
493 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 11, 2013 18:55 |  #14

Thanks to all who replied to my question!

sponsored links

2,880 views & 0 likes for this thread
Star trails - enhanced
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.