Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 12 Jun 2012 (Tuesday) 10:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

60D users, friends and their random OT B.S.

this thread is locked
IMADreamer
499 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 10, 2013 18:02 |  #8761

Canon_Lover wrote in post #15595592 (external link)
6D is kicking butt! Loving it so far.

Any of you former or current 60D owners will just love the improved IQ and familiar controls.

A tilting screen would be nice but I think it will be easy to make an articulated iPhone mount for the hotshoe.

I also have plans on making a head band mount for putting it on my head for total mobility and hands free viewing. It would look silly, and that is my main reason for doing it! ;)

So jealous of you and your 6D. lol

Jason: 60d user. My flicker page feel free to friend or contact me: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/exorimadreamer/ (external link)
www.infinite-garage.com (external link)

sponsored links
BurnUnit
808 posts
Gallery: 105 photos
Joined May 2012

Feb 10, 2013 18:02 |  #8762

CJCMarquez wrote in post #15594973 (external link)
Thanks for the tip. Changed my displays resolution to the native one and picture quality does look better. I just need to figure out how to change the size of fonts for it.

This will help get you started on customizing your display.

http://www.microsoft.c​om …_overview_w.msp​x?mfr=true (external link)

You can change specific font sizes Windows uses and even the fonts themselves. You have to show a bit of restraint though as some fonts aren't as legible as others. It just takes a little time experimenting.

Once you find some settings you like you can save them as your own personal theme. If they somehow get changed later you can easily recall them.

Canon 60D+EFs 18-200, EFs 10-18, G5, A20 (retired), Pentax Optio Z10, Powershot A620 and a recently adopted Digital Rebel/300D

"They've introduced a new camera that's so advanced, you don't even need it!"
Steven Wright

awilli1715k
719 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Feb 10, 2013 18:11 |  #8763

EightEleven wrote in post #15595625 (external link)
Buy the Mark III Ashley! You know you want it..
Go find a working display and take a card and some random instore pics so you can compare IQ for yourself

Bad influence I tell ya lol...I know n I have tried all the local best buys... The rest of them don't have it

Canon SL1-Canon 40D gripped-Canon 40mm Pancake-Canon 50mm 1.8-Canon 10-22

EightEleven
Car enthusiast and an all around nice guy
1,675 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Feb 10, 2013 18:18 |  #8764

Any local photo shops? Ritz or Wolf camera?

Ron Snarski
flickr (external link)
C&C always welcome!

Canon_Lover
Goldmember
2,695 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 10, 2013 18:20 |  #8765

EightEleven wrote in post #15595618 (external link)
Be sure to post that set up pick so we, just like everyone else can point and laugh. J/ K

I thinking something along the lines of "Borg" Captain Piccard. :lol::lol:

My 500PX (external link)

awilli1715k
719 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Feb 10, 2013 18:21 |  #8766

Not sure if they would have a mark 3 out on display... I went to ritz awhile ago n they didn't . If I can't decide I guess I will stay with what I have n invest in some L glass

Canon_Lover
Goldmember
2,695 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 10, 2013 18:23 |  #8767

IMADreamer wrote in post #15595660 (external link)
So jealous of you and your 6D. lol

Too bad I won't be able to get out and shoot the real deal for my landscapes for a month or more.

Working non-stop on getting my art gallery business going before my round advertisements go out to 10,000 households on March 1st. If I end up making a lot of sales, then it won't feel so bad not making it out to take photos.

My 500PX (external link)

Immaculens
creeped by the TF....
13,208 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Feb 10, 2013 20:31 |  #8768

BurnUnit wrote in post #15594927 (external link)
Unlike a CRT monitor, LCDs have a native resolution that provides the best display quality. Varying from that causes it to interpolate the image information to adapt it to fit the non-native resolution. You'll see some image degradation as a result.

Somehow this reply of yours escaped my eagle eye - so thank-you ~

This is my second monitor where the "Recommended Resolution" (the highest setting) didn't seem like the best fit.

I'm still playing around but no matter what resolution I have tried - DVD playback still seems noisy, soft or pixelated. I'll try adjusting contrast, but then my problem will leak into my image editing and eventually printing...

My new monitor is actually LED and maybe that is a cause...

If no resolution adjustment helps for sharper display - I may as well choose a slightly lower one so I'm not squinting... my monitor is on my coffee table about 3 ft away ;) ...I tried adjusting text and icon sizes and thats too much of a pain...

Thanks again for the reply - I'll read more about optimizing LED displays...

BurnUnit wrote in post #15594927 (external link)
Choosing a non-native resolution may also cause distortion by changing the aspect ratio. If you're experimenting, make sure that the new resolution you choose has the same aspect ratio as your monitor (probably 16:9). Depending on your video card your choices may be limited or the card's drivers may need to be updated to even set things up for your monitor's native resolution.

A while back I added a 16:10 LCD monitor to my older backup computer which had only ever been used with a 4:3 CRT. The old video card had no settings for a 16:10 display resolution. I picked up a used PCI video card for next to nothing that was a few years newer, updated it's drivers and problem solved.

If Windows text and icons are too small due to the higher resolution go to the Appearance tab in Display Settings and you can do some customization of text and icon sizes and even the sizes of scroll bars and window borders.

Will immaculens.com (external link)

7Dmk II gripped | 5Dc | 150-600 (Σ) OS C | 55-250 IS STM | 100L f/2.8 IS Macro | 15-85 IS | 50 f/1.8 STM | 30 Σ f/1.4 'A'
Learn to love to do well, and you shall. ~ C. Poseidon

treebound
547 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2011

Feb 10, 2013 21:57 |  #8769

I'm liking this 60D. Went to a grandkid's 5th birthday party at a bowling alley. Played around with the exposure and wound up using the shutter priority where I wanted to keep the shutter above 1/125 and settled in on 200 or so, cranked the iso initially up around 2000 and ended up at 6400, and I ended up at +1 or so on the exposure bar thing (tired and forget the real name for it). I wanted to be able to freeze motion while not using any flash and for a kid's b'day party I think the results are just fine so I'm a happy camper. No way could I have done this in my film days with an f4-5.6 zoom lens, might have got close with pushing tri-x and using my old 50mm f1.4 but even then I would have had to work in the darkroom.

I think I'm going to play around with some low light stuff, this is fun.

=====
60D w/18-135 kit lens, 55-250mm, EF 50mm 1.8, 580EXII flash.

Immaculens
creeped by the TF....
13,208 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Feb 10, 2013 22:07 |  #8770

Welcome to Club 60D ~ yes I've noticed that ISO 6400 and even pushed higher is fine as long as you don't have to crop your image.

of course compared to the camera-phone noisy-images polluting Facebook, etc - our ISO 6400 shots look pro ;):cool:

cheers

treebound wrote in post #15596485 (external link)
I'm liking this 60D. Went to a grandkid's 5th birthday party at a bowling alley. Played around with the exposure and wound up using the shutter priority where I wanted to keep the shutter above 1/125 and settled in on 200 or so, cranked the iso initially up around 2000 and ended up at 6400, and I ended up at +1 or so on the exposure bar thing (tired and forget the real name for it). I wanted to be able to freeze motion while not using any flash and for a kid's b'day party I think the results are just fine so I'm a happy camper. No way could I have done this in my film days with an f4-5.6 zoom lens, might have got close with pushing tri-x and using my old 50mm f1.4 but even then I would have had to work in the darkroom.

I think I'm going to play around with some low light stuff, this is fun.

7Dmk II gripped | 5Dc | 150-600 (Σ) OS C | 55-250 IS STM | 100L f/2.8 IS Macro | 15-85 IS | 50 f/1.8 STM | 30 Σ f/1.4 'A'

BurnUnit
808 posts
Gallery: 105 photos
Joined May 2012

Feb 10, 2013 22:26 |  #8771

Immaculens wrote in post #15596221 (external link)
I'm still playing around but no matter what resolution I have tried - DVD playback still seems noisy, soft or pixelated. I'll try adjusting contrast, but then my problem will leak into my image editing and eventually printing...

My new monitor is actually LED and maybe that is a cause...

If no resolution adjustment helps for sharper display - I may as well choose a slightly lower one so I'm not squinting... my monitor is on my coffee table about 3 ft away ;) ...I tried adjusting text and icon sizes and thats too much of a pain...

You'e welcome. Just thought I'd share a little of what I eventually learned from messing around with my own monitors. :wink:

Actually your monitor is an LCD monitor, or at least that's my best guess without knowing the make and model you have. The LED designation only refers to the fact that it uses LEDs for the backlighting. Older LCD monitors use a cold cathode flourescent lamp to illuminate the LCD panel. My older 16:10 Samsung monitor that I mentioned earlier has CCFL lighting. The newer 16:9 monitor that replaced it uses LEDs for lighting. But they're both LCD monitors.

http://www.howtogeek.c​om …-lcd-monitor-works-video/ (external link)

If you're wanting both good image display quality and more legible text you might reconsider spending some time with the display appearance settings. Or at least set up a different workstation where you're a bit closer to your monitor.

Canon 60D+EFs 18-200, EFs 10-18, G5, A20 (retired), Pentax Optio Z10, Powershot A620 and a recently adopted Digital Rebel/300D

"They've introduced a new camera that's so advanced, you don't even need it!"
Steven Wright

Naraly
221 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 10, 2013 22:47 |  #8772

I have a quick question.. on the 60D, is it normal that the shutter speed can't go higher than 250 when the internal flash is popped up? I was trying to experiment for the first time with water drops falling in a glass of water, and even though there was light coming in through the window it was not enough so I wanted to use the flash, but it wouldn't let me change the shutter speed over 250. I ended up just using a lamp, but I still had to make the ISO high so it's a little grainy in some photos. Just wondering if maybe something in my settings is doing this or is it all 60Ds?

Cheers,
Nora

-->Facebook (external link)Instagram (external link)<--

Immaculens
creeped by the TF....
13,208 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Feb 10, 2013 22:56 |  #8773

BurnUnit wrote in post #15596591 (external link)
...Actually your monitor is an LCD monitor, or at least that's my best guess without knowing the make and model you have. The LED designation only refers to the fact that it uses LEDs for the backlighting.

... its actually 'both', as in an LED LCD Monitor... http://www.newegg.ca …aspx?Item=N82E1​6824236176 (external link)

BurnUnit wrote in post #15596591 (external link)
If you're wanting both good image display quality and more legible text you might reconsider:

a) spending some time with the display appearance settings.

b) Or at least set up a different workstation where you're a bit closer to your monitor.

oh I'll take option "a" ;)

I did adjust it enough to my liking tonight. I set it to Native (1920x1080)
and in the "Change the Size of All Items" option - I chose "125%"

seems adequate as far as size goes... still surprised DVD image quality is not better... although it appears that VLC player is better IQ than Cyberlink PowerDVD... a little but noticeable.

awilli1715k
719 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Feb 11, 2013 04:50 |  #8774

Naraly wrote in post #15596664 (external link)
I have a quick question.. on the 60D, is it normal that the shutter speed can't go higher than 250 when the internal flash is popped up? I was trying to experiment for the first time with water drops falling in a glass of water, and even though there was light coming in through the window it was not enough so I wanted to use the flash, but it wouldn't let me change the shutter speed over 250. I ended up just using a lamp, but I still had to make the ISO high so it's a little grainy in some photos. Just wondering if maybe something in my settings is doing this or is it all 60Ds?

U were in manual mode?

Y2K
455 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 11, 2013 06:28 |  #8775

Naraly wrote in post #15596664 (external link)

This is normal. The 60D max flash sync speed is 1/250 for the build in flash. However it can do High Speed Sync but you need a flash compatible with that feature (example: 430ex II, 580ex II, and some third party). In that case you can enable HSS in the camera and flash menus and go higher then 1/250.

Yefim ~ Olympus OM-D E-M1, Olympus 12-40mm f/2.8, Panasonic 25mm f/1.4, Olympus 45mm f/1.8, Olympus 75mm f/1.8, Olympus 40-150mm, Olympus 9-18mm, Rokinon 7.5mm, FL-600R.

sponsored links

649,785 views & 0 likes for this thread
60D users, friends and their random OT B.S.
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.