Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 10 Feb 2013 (Sunday) 02:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

DoF - straight or curved?

Bend ­ The ­ Light
Cream of the Crop
6,098 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Feb 10, 2013 02:49 |  #1

I was just looking through some old images, and this one taken with a MF Vivitar 90mm macro, at 1:1.
I noticed the thin "focal plane" is curved.
Is this right, and the focal plane is actually curved, or is it distortion which is not so evident in other lenses or something?

IMAGE: http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6062/6066094063_4a0a93cac5_o.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …end_the_light/6​066094063/  (external link)
Unidentified dragonfly at Ynis-Hir 2 (external link) by http://bendthelight.me​.uk (external link), on Flickr

Thanks.

sponsored links
Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 10, 2013 04:35 |  #2

Yep that's field curvature right there, all lenses have this to some degree, but it usually becomes obvious at macro distances. Macro lenses are typically corrected for this though.

Another example of field curvature is with some wide angles, if you focus the center to infinity, the sides will actually be focused closer.

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

Bend ­ The ­ Light
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,098 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Feb 10, 2013 04:52 |  #3

Kolor-Pikker wrote in post #15593500 (external link)
Yep that's field curvature right there, all lenses have this to some degree, but it usually becomes obvious at macro distances. Macro lenses are typically corrected for this though.

Another example of field curvature is with some wide angles, if you focus the center to infinity, the sides will actually be focused closer.

Thanks. :)

cptrios
Goldmember
1,744 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 10, 2013 19:32 |  #4

Well if that's a flat board, it's definitely field curvature. But are you sure that's not a log the fly is sitting on? It looks rounded to me, which would explain the "curved" focal plane.

Fuji X100 / Sony NEX-7 / Contax G 45mm f/2 / The ghosts of 3 Canon bodies past / A meagre amount of talent
My weak lil' 500px (external link)

OhLook
insufferably pedantic. I can live with that.
20,948 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Feb 10, 2013 20:20 |  #5

cptrios wrote in post #15595991 (external link)
Well if that's a flat board, it's definitely field curvature. But are you sure that's not a log the fly is sitting on?

Good point. In the photos just before it at Flickr, the wood looks like a branch.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

Bend ­ The ­ Light
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,098 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Feb 11, 2013 00:26 |  #6

cptrios wrote in post #15595991 (external link)
Well if that's a flat board, it's definitely field curvature. But are you sure that's not a log the fly is sitting on? It looks rounded to me, which would explain the "curved" focal plane.

OhLook wrote in post #15596190 (external link)
Good point. In the photos just before it at Flickr, the wood looks like a branch.

The wood is part of a fence along the edge of a wooden walkway through the wetland part of the RSPB reserve at Ynis-Hir, in Wales. It is flat. Here is another shot on the same wood:

IMAGE: http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6074/6066648068_c55c566470_o.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …end_the_light/6​066648068/  (external link)
Unidentified dragonfly at Ynis-Hir 5 (external link) by http://bendthelight.me​.uk (external link), on Flickr

It does seem that some lenses have "field curvature" and that attempts are made (with more expensive lenses) to eliminate this.

So, since the focal plane is not always a plane, it needs another name. So I decided I would call it the "Focus Locus". :)

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Feb 11, 2013 00:40 |  #7

Nice.

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 11, 2013 01:07 as a reply to  @ samsen's post |  #8

It is a plane, assuming you're using spherical geometry.

Plane triangles have exactly 180° as the sum of their vertices, just like you learned in high school. Triangles on the surface of the Earth, however, always have more than 180° degrees. And triangles on the surface of a saddle always have less than 180°.

Geometry is fun, fun, fun when you leave Euclid at home!

Bend ­ The ­ Light
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,098 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Feb 11, 2013 06:38 |  #9

20droger wrote in post #15596996 (external link)
It is a plane, assuming you're using spherical geometry.

Plane triangles have exactly 180° as the sum of their vertices, just like you learned in high school. Triangles on the surface of the Earth, however, always have more than 180° degrees. And triangles on the surface of a saddle always have less than 180°.

Geometry is fun, fun, fun when you leave Euclid at home!

Oh, I know that. I am a maths teacher, so spherical triangles and the like are great fun! :)
But how many are using that when they talk of the focal plane? And are they expecting a flat Euclidean plane and getting non-Euclidean?

:)

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 11, 2013 06:54 |  #10

At first I also thought that the surface might have been curved, but the wood surface shows that this was shot at an angle, for the plane to be curved like that you would have had to shoot straight-on to a cylindrical surface.

Field curvature is fairly annoying as far as MTF figures are concerned, because there's no way to tell whether a low score is acquired via lack of resolution or out-of-focus softness due to this phenomenon. In practice, some lenses may be sharper than graphs imply, because field curvature is less of an annoyance when used on real 3-dimensional subjects instead of a flat plane. In the dragonfly photo, a chart would have shown horrible performance past the center, when it's clearly sharp to the corners (albeit curved corners).

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

sponsored links

1,309 views & 0 likes for this thread
DoF - straight or curved?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.