Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 11 Feb 2013 (Monday) 08:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sling Strap And Backpack

Calicajun
Goldmember
2,929 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 11, 2013 08:58 |  #1

Been looking into getting a sling strap, seen lots of pictures and ads of people using one to carry their cameras. The only picture I haven't seen is someone using a sling strap and camera backpack at the same time. Can this be done and is so can it be done with comfort and still be convenient?

Thanks,
Craig

Remember, Stressed spelled backward is Desserts.:)
Suggestions welcome.
5DIII, EF 50 1.4, EF 40 f2.8, EF 24-105L IS , EF 70-200 f4L IS, 580EX ll

sponsored links
v35skyline
Goldmember
3,572 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 11, 2013 09:13 |  #2

As long as you get a sling that does not require the actual strap to move, but rather the camera (or its connections to the strap) glide on the strap.

X100s | X-Pro1 | X-T1 | XF 14 | XF 18 | XF 35 | XF 56 | XF 60 | XF 10-24
Gear List & Feedback

Calicajun
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,929 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 11, 2013 09:29 as a reply to  @ v35skyline's post |  #3

Okay, didn't know there were two types of sling strap designs on the market. Guess I should have looked closer at the ads. Then again I have used nothing but neck straps for over 30 years and change is not always easy.:o

Suggestions welcome.

v35skyline
Goldmember
3,572 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 11, 2013 09:35 |  #4

If you are in no rush, I'd recommend waiting for Luma Labs to release the Cinch mkii in the (hopefully) near future.

I currently use Op/Tech's sling strap because I use the Op/Tech system. This is an example of a sling strap where the camera glides on the strap. I keep the quick release uni-loops on my camera and am able to quickly switch between hand, neck, sling, and backpack straps. However, I plan to switch the the Luma Cinch when it is available.

X100s | X-Pro1 | X-T1 | XF 14 | XF 18 | XF 35 | XF 56 | XF 60 | XF 10-24
Gear List & Feedback

leftnose
65 posts
Joined May 2012

Feb 11, 2013 09:47 |  #5

v35skyline wrote in post #15597833 (external link)
If you are in no rush, I'd recommend waiting for Luma Labs to release the Cinch mkii in the (hopefully) near future.

I currently use Op/Tech's sling strap because I use the Op/Tech system. This is an example of a sling strap where the camera glides on the strap. I keep the quick release uni-loops on my camera and am able to quickly switch between hand, neck, sling, and backpack straps. However, I plan to switch the the Luma Cinch when it is available.

I don't know about the MK II Cinch but I have the original version. The whole strap moves. The camera does not glide on the strap as you implied would be preferable for using with a backpack.

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,482 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 11, 2013 09:56 |  #6

Instead of a sling, I *highly* recommend the Capture Clip system from Peak Design for backpacking use. Fit the clip to the shoulder strap and the camera snaps in/out easily; can use the strap accessory as a safety strap and can convert over to use the shoulder strap with ease.

This system's held up to some some pretty hefty use for me; including a 25mph-ish snowmobile incident. Plus, the plate used to secure the camera can be had in Arca Swiss or RC2 compatible formats, so you can go straight from clip to tripod and back.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

Calicajun
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,929 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 11, 2013 10:14 as a reply to  @ Snydremark's post |  #7

Well I'm not in a big hurry, so taking my time and looking around more is not a problem. Became interested in this sling strap system after seeing one first hand at Best Buy. It was a Logic Case brand and the more I played with it (sales people not happy that I open the unit) the more it seemed like a nice way to carry a camera for long periods of time. Just wasn't sure if a sling strap would work with a backpack or how safe a $24.00 sling strap ans the $19.00 hand strap (the two worked together) would be for the camera. :confused:

Suggestions welcome.

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,482 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 11, 2013 10:46 |  #8

Calicajun wrote in post #15597940 (external link)
Well I'm not in a big hurry, so taking my time and looking around more is not a problem. Became interested in this sling strap system after seeing one first hand at Best Buy. It was a Logic Case brand and the more I played with it (sales people not happy that I open the unit) the more it seemed like a nice way to carry a camera for long periods of time. Just wasn't sure if a sling strap would work with a backpack or how safe a $24.00 sling strap ans the $19.00 hand strap (the two worked together) would be for the camera. :confused:

Sling straps can be a fine way of carrying a camera for long periods; however, if you're doing more 'active' things, like hiking, it can be troublesome to have the camera swinging around like a pendulum. I would highly recommend going with one of the known manufacturers, too, such as Black Rapid, Sun Sniper, etc. Some, cheap, off the shelf brand from Best Buy would worry me as to the materials and workmanship that went into something that should be keeping several hundred dollars worth of camera gear off the ground.

I, also, suspect that you'll find having a strap and backpack on at the same time gets to be a 'mass management' nightmare.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

Calicajun
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,929 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 11, 2013 10:59 |  #9

Snydremark wrote in post #15598049 (external link)
I would highly recommend going with one of the known manufacturers, too, such as Black Rapid, Sun Sniper, etc. Some, cheap, off the shelf brand from Best Buy would worry me as to the materials and workmanship that went into something that should be keeping several hundred dollars worth of camera gear off the ground.

I, also, suspect that you'll find having a strap and backpack on at the same time gets to be a 'mass management' nightmare.

Wasn't planning on the cheap strap, it's just what made me interested in some type of sling system. As my neck doesn't seem to like having a camera around that much any more nowadays. Also like the idea of having a wrist strap on the camera. Just shot abut 200 pictures at my sons Karate meet and my hand was sore for about a hour after the meet.:o

Suggestions welcome.

jbrackjr
481 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 11, 2013 11:17 |  #10

I have had the Op/Tech's sling strap for about a year. It is inexpensive but very sturdy and convenient. Camera slides on strap smoothly. However, if your 6' 4" or taller you may need an extension as it will be to short. After using this, I got rid of all my neck straps.

Can't say how it will work with a backpack (don't have one).

Jim
Gear List

Calicajun
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,929 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 11, 2013 11:51 |  #11

jbrackjr wrote in post #15598158 (external link)
I have had the Op/Tech's sling strap for about a year. It is inexpensive but very sturdy and convenient. Camera slides on strap smoothly. However, if your 6' 4" or taller you may need an extension as it will be to short. After using this, I got rid of all my neck straps.

Can't say how it will work with a backpack (don't have one).

Thanks, I'm only 5'10" so size shouldn't be a problem.:lol:

Suggestions welcome.

Lyndön
Goldmember
2,214 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008

Feb 11, 2013 13:04 |  #12

Yes, it can be done. You just have to put the sling on either before the backpack, or before the right side backpack strap such that the sling sits on top of the left backpack strap. I've done the 2nd option a few times, since my BlackRapid strap has a pocket for my phone, extra memory cards, cash, etc. so I don't have to access the backpack for small things like that. It works really well if you're walking around the city, and it's ok if you're hiking on a mild/moderate trail. I use the front/rear bumpers to lock the camera as far back as possible so it's not sliding around while walking.

GEAR LIST

Calicajun
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,929 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 11, 2013 13:29 as a reply to  @ Lyndön's post |  #13

The you folks talk about the sling strap, the more I think we (wife and I) will take a drive to Samy's and Camulet in Hollywood, CA and check out these straps. I know, it sounds like a excuse just to drive down and shop at two big camera stores.:D

Thanks for the tips,
Craig

Suggestions welcome.

mafoo
Goldmember
1,503 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 11, 2013 14:27 |  #14

This is the one I have:

http://www.carryspeed.​com …s-slim-camera-sling-strap (external link)

I used to have the Black Rapid RS-5. The Black Rapid strap is a great strap, I just wanted something smaller.

I have used both with a backpack, and both work well.

I agree with Snydremark however, for a backpack solution. but if you go that route, also get a sling for when you don't have a backpack on. Your neck will thank you.

-Jeremy
5D Mk II | SL1 | 24-105 f4.0L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS | S35 1.4 | 40 2.8 Pancake | Samyang 14 2.8 | 430EX II

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 11, 2013 19:50 |  #15

Snydremark wrote in post #15597887 (external link)
Instead of a sling, I *highly* recommend the Capture Clip system from Peak Design for backpacking use. Fit the clip to the shoulder strap and the camera snaps in/out easily; can use the strap accessory as a safety strap and can convert over to use the shoulder strap with ease.

This system's held up to some some pretty hefty use for me; including a 25mph-ish snowmobile incident. Plus, the plate used to secure the camera can be had in Arca Swiss or RC2 compatible formats, so you can go straight from clip to tripod and back.

Does the capture system work with L plates?

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

sponsored links

5,083 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sling Strap And Backpack
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.