Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
Thread started 17 Aug 2006 (Thursday) 00:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Please Post Your Billingham Bags!

jskwarek
196 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 11, 2013 08:25 |  #841

Thanks for the input Snakedoc, I actually did a 180 and went completely the other direction. To try and eliminate weight I pulled the grip off my camera and am going to stay gripless for awhile and simply carry an extra battery. After putting a lot of thought into it, I went with the Hadley Pro as I'm really looking for a walk around bag and not a transport bag. I've got plenty of large bags for transport.

The Hadley will be here tomorrow, I'll load it up and see what I think. I hate buying bags without test fitting but nobody local sells the Billingham line.

JS

ABOUT ME (external link)
C&C Always Welcome

sponsored links
The ­ Greek
32 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Feb 11, 2013 12:30 |  #842

Treated myself to yet ANOTHER bag.

Excellent price if your looking to buy Hadley Large. I can highly recommend the seller as I have used them many times.

http://www.robertwhite​.co.uk …rge-hadley-black-tan.html (external link)

2mnycars
Goldmember
3,035 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 11, 2013 14:16 |  #843

jskwarek wrote in post #15597601 (external link)
Thanks for the input Snakedoc, I actually did a 180 and went completely the other direction. To try and eliminate weight I pulled the grip off my camera and am going to stay gripless for awhile and simply carry an extra battery. After putting a lot of thought into it, I went with the Hadley Pro as I'm really looking for a walk around bag and not a transport bag. I've got plenty of large bags for transport.

The Hadley will be here tomorrow, I'll load it up and see what I think. I hate buying bags without test fitting but nobody local sells the Billingham line.

JS

Just a thought....the Hadley Pro doesn't come with a pad. There are other posts here. (I smashed a filter when I dropped my Hadley Digital with lens/filter mounted. Slippery coat, and sloppy me. I've never done that before. :( )
Choices?
* Billingham Pad (come in a couple of widths; buy the right one as the wider pad slides on the strap too much. YMMV)
* Domke Postal Pad (works very well)

My all weather coat has a teflon-like coating. Not good if you work like I do and hang a bag straight down from the shoulder. Old habits die hard. BillyPad solved this problem for me. Bag should come with one...just my 2 cents' worth.

Dave

jskwarek
196 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 11, 2013 14:18 |  #844

2mnycars wrote in post #15598819 (external link)
Just a thought....the Hadley Pro doesn't come with a pad. There are other posts here. (I smashed a filter when I dropped my Hadley Digital with lens/filter mounted. Slippery coat, and sloppy me. I've never done that before. :( )
Choices?
* Billingham Pad (come in a couple of widths; buy the right one as the wider pad slides on the strap too much. YMMV)
* Domke Postal Pad (works very well)

My all weather coat has a teflon-like coating. Not good if you work like I do and hang a bag straight down from the shoulder. Old habits die hard. BillyPad solved this problem for me. Bag should come with one...just my 2 cents' worth.

Thanks for the heads up, I will go hit up Amazon right now. Anything else you guys want to spend my money on? HA!

Jason

ABOUT ME (external link)
C&C Always Welcome

2mnycars
Goldmember
3,035 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 11, 2013 14:18 |  #845

The Greek wrote in post #15598412 (external link)

Excellent price if your looking to buy Hadley Large. I can highly recommend the seller as I have used them many times.

Thank you! Good to have another source.

Dave

2mnycars
Goldmember
3,035 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 11, 2013 14:24 |  #846

jskwarek wrote in post #15598828 (external link)
Thanks for the heads up, I will go hit up Amazon right now. Anything else you guys want to spend my money on? HA!

Jason

I'm on the same path you are. Simplify my life.

I went to Cape Cod travelling light. Took my "light gear" d300s+grip+18-200VR in a Think Tank Retro 10. Beautiful bag. (Proved how much I needed a vacation when I tried to put the raincover on, just prior to a forcasted storm. Sentenced to the "time out" room for the language I used.) Carried that gear 5 miles in to town...pending storm, the camera was sealed away, unusable. Came home and bought a Hadley Digital. Sold the Retro10; great bag--just not for me.

Hadley Digital--what an incredible bag! I can stuff that rig in and close the HD! Lightest walk around rig, and it's really easy to use the camera and take photos. Waterproof bag. Warning--easy to get the camera out; fidly getting it back in; bag won't take anything any larger. I really do like the feel of the camera better with grip attached. Alternatives? Domke F3X works well too, long as I put the flap back right...

Can't have too many bags! ;)

Dave

snakedoc
162 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 11, 2013 18:54 |  #847

For something completely different...I use a J.Crew messenger bag as an everyday commuter bag, in conjunction with the Timbuk2 small size camera insert. In profile, it's similar to a Hadley Pro, but it's a larger bag. I am able to fit the following in the bag:

1. 5DIII with lens attached (usually 50mm 1.2L, but will also fit larger lenses. I've even been able to fit it with a 70-200 2.8 lens up in a pinch.)

2. 2 extra lenses—70-200 2.8 with hood reversed, plus one other large-ish lens like an 85 1.2

3. 15" MacbookPro + power adapter

4. 430EXII

5. Assorted other small things like Black Rapid strap, batteries, etc.

6. iPad in external pocket

It's heavy fully loaded, but I seldom load it up like this. The current J.Crew bag is slightly different looking, but appears to be the same design as the one I have. They actually look like they've made one or two improvements...for one thing, the current version has a wider looking strap and comes with a pad. Mine was narrower and I use my Billy pad on it. Here's a link: http://www.jcrew.com …gs/PRDOVR~51657​/51657.jsp (external link)

And here's a link to the Timbuk2 insert: http://www.timbuk2.com …oop-camera-insert/1997729 (external link)

For under $150, I'm pretty happy with this as a daily beater bag. ;-)a

pauly916
Goldmember
1,523 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 12, 2013 06:56 |  #848

The Greek wrote in post #15598412 (external link)

I was in the shop last week and bought a Hadley large in black, fantastic service I had lots of different billinghams out to look at and try and wasn't rushed at all.
Very dangerous though living only five mins away as now I'm thinking one of the 5 series bags would be great for taking lots of gear to the studio.....

Gear- who cares?
Facebook (external link)

KSG ­ Photography
342 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Feb 12, 2013 11:58 |  #849

splbound wrote in post #15582310 (external link)
Just a heads up if you are in the UK.
Saw this lowish price on the Hadley large at Cameraworld
Kaki\Tan Black\Black and Black\Tan for £115
http://www.cameraworld​.co.uk …T_CODE=24&SUBCA​T_CODE=304 (external link)

Tempted to buy one as a spare but really want the Sage one which costs more.

After much deliberation as to whether or not I want/ need the handle of a Pro on my everyday bag (and even considering a cheap alternative for a wee while) I've finally given in to temptation and ordered a khaki & tan Hadley Large (much as I think the black looks smart, I just prefer this colour) - thanks (I think) Splbound for the link :D. I don't think the handle is a deal-breaker and the ability to carry my 70-200 if I need to (an upcoming trip - always a good excuse :cool: - to Paris means this could be handy) is more important to me. I've tried to use my 550 every day, but it's just too big for what I want to carry (7D, 20-40 f2.8, nifty fifty, 8mm fisheye and sometimes a speedlite - as well as my iPad) and as much as I love my TT Streetwalker HD for carrying a lot of kit over a distance, I prefer a shoulder bag for speed when walking about and family days out. Now, I just need to wait for that big, white van...

2x 7d, EOS 3 film body, G15, X-Pro1 with 18mm f2, 35mm f1.4 & 60mm f2.4 macro, Kiev rangefinder with 50mm lens. 70-200 f4L, 17-40 f4 L, 50mm f2.5 macro, nifty fifty, 20-40 EX HSM, Samyang 85mm f1.4, Rokinon 8mm f3.5, 2x Fuji X-Pro1, Fuji XF 18mm f2, 35mm f1.4, 60mm f2.4 macro, 3x Yongnuo 560 II, 540EZ, Phottix Strato 2 wireless triggers, extension tubes, Manfrotto 055 tripod, manfrotto monopod.

Savas ­ K
Goldmember
1,425 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 12, 2013 15:53 |  #850

Hadley large is well reviewed in these pages and you will be happy with it I am sure. One poster in this thread mentioned it's the one that remained after selling off his other Billinghams. Something about the way it carries next to the body combined with its capacity. The 70-200 pretty much makes the HL a necessity out of the Hadley range.

KSG ­ Photography
342 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Feb 12, 2013 16:12 |  #851

Aye, it certainly seems to be thought of quite highly - roll on Thursday :)

2x 7d, EOS 3 film body, G15, X-Pro1 with 18mm f2, 35mm f1.4 & 60mm f2.4 macro, Kiev rangefinder with 50mm lens. 70-200 f4L, 17-40 f4 L, 50mm f2.5 macro, nifty fifty, 20-40 EX HSM, Samyang 85mm f1.4, Rokinon 8mm f3.5, 2x Fuji X-Pro1, Fuji XF 18mm f2, 35mm f1.4, 60mm f2.4 macro, 3x Yongnuo 560 II, 540EZ, Phottix Strato 2 wireless triggers, extension tubes, Manfrotto 055 tripod, manfrotto monopod.

Savas ­ K
Goldmember
1,425 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 13, 2013 13:01 |  #852

For my smaller gear, I'd wish for Billingham to augment their L2 model into a new model with some more width, so that it can hold two rows of small lenses. That would make me happy. It would hold that capably plus be sufficiently sized to accommodate a small gripped body. That ideal volume is envisioned like a six pack of beer, but consisting of shorty cans.

jskwarek
196 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 15, 2013 08:17 |  #853

Loaded up my Hadley last night and have to say I'm really impressed!

Do any of you use the tripod straps on your Hadleys? If so, got any pictures of how they mount and any feedback? Looking at the straps, they seem like just simple belts and I'm not sure how they would mount to the bag. I'd like to come up with a solution to carry my travel tripod on the bag for an upcoming trip to Seattle.

TIA,
Jason

ABOUT ME (external link)
C&C Always Welcome

Rudi
Goldmember
3,751 posts
Joined Mar 2002

Feb 15, 2013 20:06 |  #854

jskwarek wrote in post #15612564 (external link)
Loaded up my Hadley last night and have to say I'm really impressed!

Do any of you use the tripod straps on your Hadleys? If so, got any pictures of how they mount and any feedback? Looking at the straps, they seem like just simple belts and I'm not sure how they would mount to the bag. I'd like to come up with a solution to carry my travel tripod on the bag for an upcoming trip to Seattle.

TIA,
Jason

The tripod straps are meant for the 335-555 line of bags - those have thick canvas loops sewn into them, for the straps to attach to. The Hadley line is designed to be more streamlined (i.e you carry your own tripod, pal ;) ).

• Wedding Photographer - Sydney and Wollongong (external link)
• Borrowed Moment (blog) (external link)

Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first.

Savas ­ K
Goldmember
1,425 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 15, 2013 20:54 |  #855

People familiar with both 335 and 307 - which do you prefer and why? Is the 307's lid design more water resistant? Is the 307's internal wand superior to the tuck top of the 335? Inquiring minds want to know! :)

sponsored links

670,866 views & 48 likes for this thread
Please Post Your Billingham Bags!
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.