Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Discussion Sports 
Thread started 10 Feb 2013 (Sunday) 13:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links (only for non-logged)

First attempt at Mountain Biking

BAD ­ SS
149 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 10, 2013 13:25 |  #1

Used to shooting cars and racing. Definitely more challenging than what I am used to. Harsh C&C preferred.

IMAGE: http://www.trackninemedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/IMG_8778-pwr-e1360524257251.jpg

-Trevor-
Track9 (external link) | TrackNineMedia.com (external link)
7D | 50D | XT | 10-20 | 35 | 50 | 70-200L | EF 2x III | AB B800s | 430EX II

magnusrn
49 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 10, 2013 15:00 |  #2

noise on the nearest is incredibly distracting

JGunn
694 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Feb 10, 2013 15:36 |  #3

Agreed on the distracting tree. A tighter crop would make it better.

J.Gunn - Macon, GA, USA
flickr (external link)
1D X; 1D MkIV | 16-35mm f/2.8L; 100mm f/2.8L IS; 400mm f/2.8 IS; 2x extender; Kenko DG Ext Tubes

900spg
Goldmember
1,468 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Feb 10, 2013 15:44 |  #4

Subject is too far away and not enough detail can be seen of the rider and bike.

Canon 5D MkIII | 7D | 40D | 350D
580EX II - 430EX II - BG-E3
50mm 1.8 II | 85mm 1:1.8 | 100mm 1:2.8L | Tokina 12-24 f4 | 24-70mm 2.8L | 70-200mm 2.8L | 100-400 4.5-5.6L | Kenko Extension Tubes and 1.4x Teleconverter
www.jpsphotos.net (external link) flickr (external link) TrekLens (external link)

AB8ND
745 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 11, 2013 07:55 |  #5

Nice low angle and great location, but as others said the foreground tree is distracting. Not being there it is hard to say a better spot, maybe the tree on the left would have put you closer for a tighter crop. To steal a line from The Bang Bang Club, "forget the long lens bru, this stuff only looks good close up", safety always first, but a wide angle lens up close makes a real dramatic shot. To get more detail in the face a little off camera fill flash works great. I've never had a rider complain or even say they saw the flash if it is mounted so they aren't looking at it.

Jack

Biffbradford
Goldmember
2,784 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 11, 2013 08:26 |  #6

All of the above noted and I agree. However, while this falls into the same trap of current MTB photography - jumps, jumping, and more jumping, which I find boring after 100 shots, it is thinking outside the box and makes the environment the main subject, with the MTBer the background. Aha! :D

Whether this was the intent of the photo, or not, I have no idea, but it is a refreshing change (although, a more scenic area would be nice). ;)

My pictures: John Wilke Photography (external link), Flikr (external link) , Facebook (external link), Fine Arts America (external link), Canon 1D MkII N, 1D MkIII, various Canon and Tokina lenses. :D

transcend
Goldmember
1,461 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Feb 11, 2013 17:20 |  #7

Definitely a bit too much tree, but good start. You should always try and show a bit more of the environment for MTB stuff. Slightly tighter crop, maybe half the tree, and less overhead on the rider would be a bit more focused.

http://www.fraserbritt​on.com (external link)

fStoppingTime
25 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Feb 11, 2013 18:18 |  #8

I think it's a good shot. It shows the element. A rider by itself is just a rider. This shows the terrain he is about to land on, and the speed/energy he had while entering the scene. If the rider is a tighter crop there is nothing to show environment. When the rider see's this, he will remember it. Sure the tree is a bit distracting but that can be cropped by the rider should he choose to do so.

I have done just a couple MTB races, and I'm pretty much motionless in the shot because it was a 'convenient' location for the photographer. There is a pretty good chance you are where you are so as not to be ran over. haha

How do others from this location look?

Just the basics:
T3i
18-55 Kit
55-250 kit
Tamron 18-270

AB8ND
745 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 12, 2013 14:25 |  #9

One reason I like to get close in a turn or a climb (cross country anyway) watching faces. The concentration and even the pain never fail to show on a riders face and eyes.

Jack

Biffbradford wrote in post #15597602 (external link)
All of the above noted and I agree. However, while this falls into the same trap of current MTB photography - jumps, jumping, and more jumping, which I find boring after 100 shots, it is thinking outside the box and makes the environment the main subject, with the MTBer the background. Aha! :D

Whether this was the intent of the photo, or not, I have no idea, but it is a refreshing change (although, a more scenic area would be nice). ;)

transcend
Goldmember
1,461 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Feb 12, 2013 14:44 |  #10

Biffbradford wrote in post #15597602 (external link)

That's the current trend because people are just imitating the style that those of us who do this for a living tend to shoot. We shoot it because that's what sells product in this industry. Definitely not the most creative way to do things but it's a commercial job so you deliver what your client wants.

Most editorial stuff shows much more scenery. I think the OP's shot is good in that regard. Shots of people cruising along single track sitting down are extremely boring if there isn't epic scenery (and in this case, that's the case.)

http://www.fraserbritt​on.com (external link)

downhillnews
Goldmember
1,609 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 12, 2013 16:32 |  #11

You may have been able to use a white reflector on a tri-pod hitting light into the rider for some more pop and detail. I like the "rim light" the tree is catching the gold looks so warm. You may be able to square crop it and keep that at the farthest edge.

WWW.DOWNHILLNEWS.COM (external link)
WWW.IJWPHOTOGRAPHY.COM (external link)
Phase One Certified Digital Tech

alecmcjo
45 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 12, 2013 17:02 as a reply to  @ downhillnews's post |  #12

Too much tree, & buy some Cactus triggers from Gadget Infinity ;)

My videos are probably my better work... http://www.youtube.com​/user/AlecMcJoPhotogra​phy (external link)

rdompor
671 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 12, 2013 19:54 |  #13

I don't hate the tree, but it's too dominating. Use a light or two next time, or try to find a spot where natural light is breaking through the trees. Work on your timing a bit and wait for the rider to whip it out a bit.

Ramon
ULTRAMONTAGNE (external link)
Website (external link)

fStoppingTime
25 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Feb 13, 2013 17:43 |  #14

I'd like to see more. I'm going to be photographing a MTB race in a few months. I photographed a marathon about a month ago. I went for unusual pictures when possible. Like a landmark is clear and in the frame of the runner. The runners are not all large because it distracts from the landmark. But the runner will remember that moment more than the 'oh man, I look like crap in this picture' (I have plenty of those of myself). I'm looking for ideas for the MTB race that should work out well. An organizer said he's got a few good places. I need to check them out though. Since it is my own personal gear (I'm not a pro), I want a less dusty environment but something that will make a good scene and memory.

Just the basics:
T3i
18-55 Kit
55-250 kit
Tamron 18-270

djlb
171 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 15, 2013 15:30 |  #15

generally in mountain biking one wants a sense of movement and action.
so, if someone is jumping try to go a bit more side on so the photo conveys the sense of movement and space between the wheels and ground

sponsored links (only for non-logged)

2,870 views & 0 likes for this thread, 12 members have posted to it.
First attempt at Mountain Biking
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Discussion Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Forums   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset   •  Home

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.