Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 06 Feb 2013 (Wednesday) 10:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Can iPad read RAW files?

digital ­ paradise
THREAD ­ STARTER
I still have 8 digits left
17,463 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 07, 2013 22:10 |  #16

Thanks everyone.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

sponsored links
SkyBaby
Goldmember
1,205 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 07, 2013 22:19 |  #17

Wow I didn't know iPads could do that. That's pretty cool. I'll have to try this out. Sorry nothing useful to add lol.

~Kira~
Check out my Flickr for lots of aviation and nature related photography: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/skys_flickr/
Check out my Facebook fan page for my best of the best imagery. Give it a thumbs up if you like what you see! https://www.facebook.c​om/PhotographybyKiraAn​dreola (external link)

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 08, 2013 01:39 |  #18

Mark1 wrote in post #15584756 (external link)
I have never heard the actual final work... whether it actually READS the raw file.... or only knows how to extract the embedded .jpg file.

There's an easy way to tell. Shoot something using the monochrome picture style, but shoot in raw only. Then load that raw file into your iPad app. If it's actually translating the raw data then you'll see a full colour image. If, as I suspect, it's extracting the embedded jpeg, then you'll see the B&W image.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Feb 08, 2013 08:42 |  #19
bannedPermanent ban

It is looking only at the embedded jpeg file...so whatever your style is set to is how the image will be displayed.

tgara
Goldmember
2,336 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 08, 2013 12:35 as a reply to  @ Hogloff's post |  #20

A couple points I have learned about the iPad and it's use as a travel storage device.

1. Card readers generally do not work with the iPad.

2. Assuming your camera can use one, an Eye Fi card can work in Direct Mode to move photos from your card to your iPad wirelessly. However, it is somewhat slow, especially for large Raw files.

3. As Frank mentioned, space on the iPad will be the major limiting factor. Raw files are 25-30 MB each, so it is very easy to fill up the iPad memory on a long trip if you take a lot of photos. You may be able to use a cloud service like Dropbox or iCloud to store the photos temporarily off the iPad until you get home.

I went through this analysis a couple years ago and concluded that the iPad was not a good storage medium for me. And I still believe that. Instead, I got myself an 11 inch MacBook Air and a 500 GB portable hard disk that I use as my photo backup and "darkroom" when I travel. Using this setup, I can plug in a card reader and copy my photos right onto the hard disk for storage. Back at home, I can plug the drive into my iMac directly and import the images right into Aperture. I have iPhoto set up on my MacBook Air, so during my travels I can do some light editing if I want, and post photos to a Photostream to share with friends immediately. I did this with some family photos I took over Christmas and it was a big hit because I could edit and share the photos within hours of taking them. It's almost like real time sharing.

EOS 5D Mark III
EOS Rebel SL1
Full Gear List

Seamus69
788 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 08, 2013 13:02 |  #21

tgara wrote in post #15587475 (external link)
I went through this analysis a couple years ago and concluded that the iPad was not a good storage medium for me. And I still believe that. Instead, I got myself an 11 inch MacBook Air and a 500 GB portable hard disk that I use as my photo backup and "darkroom" when I travel. Using this setup, I can plug in a card reader and copy my photos right onto the hard disk for storage. Back at home, I can plug the drive into my iMac directly and import the images right into Aperture. I have iPhoto set up on my MacBook Air, so during my travels I can do some light editing if I want, and post photos to a Photostream to share with friends immediately. I did this with some family photos I took over Christmas and it was a big hit because I could edit and share the photos within hours of taking them. It's almost like real time sharing.

But what if your portable drive dies? Do you leave the pictures on the cards or store them on the internal drive as well?

Canon 60D, 5Diii, 24-105, 24-70ii, 70-200 f2.8 ii is, 580ex, (2)430ex

tgara
Goldmember
2,336 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 08, 2013 14:36 |  #22

Seamus69 wrote in post #15587594 (external link)
But what if your portable drive dies? Do you leave the pictures on the cards or store them on the internal drive as well?

Sometimes Yes. Sometimes I will move the best photos into iPhoto during travel, so I have a copy on the MBA and on the separate drive.

What if, What if, What if..... You can drive yourself crazy asking this question, because in theory anything could happen. What if you lose your cards? Or a squirrel gets into your hotel room and nibbles on them, destroying the connector? Or aliens land on earth and collect my CF cards as souvenirs? The real question is what is the likelihood? Redundant backups help, even if they are for your best shots.

EOS 5D Mark III
EOS Rebel SL1
Full Gear List

mike1812
338 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 11, 2013 13:22 |  #23

^^this was my solution as well. For travel, I take a laptop and portable hard drive. Dump the raws to the laptop as often as needed during the trip, backup to the portable drive, and process if I want on the laptop (screen calibrated). For around town shooting, I do take my iPad mini and use the Eye-Fi card to drop jpgs to the iPad for quick review/focus checks/etc., but it is NOT a temporary storage device for the raw files.

EF 135L | EF 70-300 L | ST-E3-RT | (4) Einstein E640s | Sekonic L-758 | Sony A7RII Gripped | Sony A7RIII Gripped | Sony 16-35GM | Sony FE 55 f/1.8 | Sony FE 85 f/1.4 GM | Sony FE 100-400GM | Sony 1.4x | Sony HVL-60M | Sigma MC-11 | Flashpoint Xplor AD600 | Flashpoint AD200 (2)| Flashpoint AD360 | plus too many doodads to list

Deanhedges
68 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 11, 2013 16:30 |  #24

When travelling I take both the MacBook Air and Ipad. The Ipad is great for instant previews and composition checks (eye-fi card transfer). The MacBook is for storage and LR edits back at base.

http://hedgesphotograp​hy.zenfolio.com (external link)
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/deanhedges/ (external link)

Cyanide7730
43 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Feb 11, 2013 18:58 |  #25

In the future I'd like to replace my laptop with just an ipad and hard drive to dump my photos. I plan on using it to just preview my photos and delete the bad ones, leaving the editing to my computer when I come back from a trip.

Does anyone use it in such a way?

7D | 17-55 2.8 | Sigma 35mm 1.4 | Canon 50mm 1.4 | Sigma 30mm 1.4 | Canon 70-200mm 4 IS | 430 EX II
www.flickr.com/cyanide​7730 (external link)

mike1812
338 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 11, 2013 19:43 |  #26

Well, the problem is how would you use the hard drive in connection with the ipad? I have the new Seagate wifi drive, but that's designed to be only one way - TO the ipad. That's why I'm using the 2 device process - laptop and drive for storage/editing, and ipad for quick previews. How would you get the photos from your camera onto the hard drive? If you put them onto the ipad first, there's still no way that I know of to then move them from the ipad to the hard drive.

EF 135L | EF 70-300 L | ST-E3-RT | (4) Einstein E640s | Sekonic L-758 | Sony A7RII Gripped | Sony A7RIII Gripped | Sony 16-35GM | Sony FE 55 f/1.8 | Sony FE 85 f/1.4 GM | Sony FE 100-400GM | Sony 1.4x | Sony HVL-60M | Sigma MC-11 | Flashpoint Xplor AD600 | Flashpoint AD200 (2)| Flashpoint AD360 | plus too many doodads to list

Cyanide7730
43 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Feb 11, 2013 20:01 |  #27

I'd use the HyperDrive HD; allows you to browse and access hard drive from an iPad. Using the iPad as an intermediary, transfer them from camera>ipad>hd

http://www.hypershop.c​om …iPad-Hard-Drive-s/183.htm (external link)

7D | 17-55 2.8 | Sigma 35mm 1.4 | Canon 50mm 1.4 | Sigma 30mm 1.4 | Canon 70-200mm 4 IS | 430 EX II

steampunkb
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 11, 2013 20:41 |  #28

I got a 16gb ipad from work. Which really isn't enough space as is. So i bought a Seagate GoFlex Satellite 500gb.

http://www.newegg.ca …+Drives-_-N82E16822148755 (external link)

If i remember right, it was on sale for $99.

Then i installed this, which was $35 for access to their forums and custom firmware.
http://www.hackseagate​satellite.com/wordpres​s/welcome/ (external link)

So now i have a wifi drive that can act as a ftp server that i can upload RAW files through the ipad's ftp apps. Also i think the custom firmware can use the eye-fi cards.

But i have mainly been using it to stream/download movies and different media. It also has a DLNA option, but that can freeze the drive at times.

***EDIT

forgot to mention that there was a new model of Seagate GoFlex Satellite 500gb. Its called the Seagate Wireless Plus 1Tb (external link). I don't know if theres any improvement in seagate official firmware or features.

Cyanide7730
43 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Feb 11, 2013 20:48 |  #29

how fast are transfer rates between ipad and seagate wifi stream? I'd imagine to be pretty slow

digital ­ paradise
THREAD ­ STARTER
I still have 8 digits left
17,463 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 11, 2013 22:48 |  #30

Cyanide7730 wrote in post #15600029 (external link)
I'd use the HyperDrive HD; allows you to browse and access hard drive from an iPad. Using the iPad as an intermediary, transfer them from camera>ipad>hd

http://www.hypershop.c​om …iPad-Hard-Drive-s/183.htm (external link)

I purchased one of those about 6 years ago. Looked a lot different. It got messed up after about a year and I dod not use that much. Not sure if it was the drive or OS and I never really found an answer. It looks a lot different now. I'm sure the tech behind it is much better now.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

sponsored links

14,136 views & 0 likes for this thread
Can iPad read RAW files?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.