Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 26 May 2012 (Saturday) 13:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Eye-Fi Pro X2 8 GB Class 6 SDHC vs SanDisk Eye-Fi 8 GB Class 4 SDHC

es1
330 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 26, 2012 13:56 |  #1

I'm planning to use the card with 5D MKIII so that RAW is saved to CF card and JPG is saved to Eye-Fi and sent to iPad or PC.

What are the differences with these cards? Class 6 vs 4 I see from the names, but does that make any difference? I live in Europe and it seems the Sandisk version is only sold here and the Eye-Fi version is only sold in North America.

Does the same softwares (the iPad app and PC software) work with both models?

sponsored links
SuperHuman21
Goldmember
2,219 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 26, 2012 13:59 |  #2

Google has all answers. SD cards go up to Class 10 (speed).

D90, 105mm f/2.8, 18-105mm DX, D-Lite 2 it (3), 32" Photoflex softbox (2), Manfrotto 3021BN w/3047 head
Arthur
-Stones and Jewelry Photographer-

es1
THREAD ­ STARTER
330 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 26, 2012 14:02 |  #3

SuperHuman21 wrote in post #14488160 (external link)
SD cards go up to Class 10 (speed).

I know. But do you know the difference between class 4 and 6 when using the Eye-Fi and sending the photos to external display?

lankforddl
747 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2009

May 26, 2012 14:02 |  #4

A lot of discussion regarding the eye-fi.
https://photography-on-the.net …read.php?t=1029​205&page=3

My experience was that it was unreliable regardless of class of SD card. The wifi or direct mode dropped all the time. A wired solution was the only acceptable one at this point.

5DIICAN17-40CAN50CAN85CAN100CAN135CAN70-200

es1
THREAD ­ STARTER
330 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 26, 2012 14:08 |  #5

I've read a lot of good reviews about the card and I will get one. Only thing is to know which of the two, remembering I will only save JPG to the Eye-Fi card and send that (RAW is saved to CF).

SuperHuman21
Goldmember
2,219 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 26, 2012 14:20 |  #6

es1 wrote in post #14488167 (external link)
I know. But do you know the difference between class 4 and 6 when using the Eye-Fi and sending the photos to external display?

Now you're clear. I don't have a clue based on experience but theoretically it won't matter if you have connectivity issues. I also don't have a clue as to how much of a difference it'd make if you solved the issue.

D90, 105mm f/2.8, 18-105mm DX, D-Lite 2 it (3), 32" Photoflex softbox (2), Manfrotto 3021BN w/3047 head
Arthur
-Stones and Jewelry Photographer-

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,634 posts
Joined Aug 2005

May 26, 2012 15:25 |  #7

es1 wrote in post #14488152 (external link)
What are the differences with these cards? Class 6 vs 4 I see from the names, but does that make any difference? I live in Europe and it seems the Sandisk version is only sold here and the Eye-Fi version is only sold in North America.

The Class difference means that clearing the buffer will be quicker with the faster Class memory, but your camera buffer will nevertheless fill up about the same rate, regardless of memory card speed.

Hard to say what true differences exist, since the SanDisk website gives absolutely no specifications, apart from what can be gleaned from the product name ... 4 GB* or 8GB* of memory! We can't even tell if the Sandisk version can transfer RAW files (which needs the Pro and Pro X2 versions from EyeFi) :cry: From an EyeFi press release (but NOT in the Sandisk website) we know "802.11n wireless performance". What a pathetic web site by Sandisk, about this product!

A DPReview article claimed "can write at 90MB/s to allow bursts of large Raw files or 1080p60 video." But that is contradicted by information here http://www.peak-uk.com …FAQ_final%20082​911_bp.pdf (external link)
"Does the SanDisk® Eye-Fi™ Wireless Memory Card wirelessly upload RAW format
photos?
No. The SanDisk Eye-Fi Wireless Memory Card uploads JPEG photos and videos file
formats."

From http://www.eos-magazine.com/articles/​memory/index.html (external link)...
"Camera compatibility: EOS 5D Mark III, 60D, 450D, 500D, 550D, 600D, 1000D, 1100D
"EOS cameras accept an SDHC card in one of their two media slots (the other slot accepts CF cards): EOS 1D Mark II (requires firmware update 1.2.6 or later); 1D Mark II N (requires firmware update 1.1.2 or later); 1D Mark III, 1D Mark V, 1Ds Mark II (requires firmware update 1.1.6 or later), 1Ds Mark III, 5D Mark III.
"Eye-Fi and Canon have identified an issue where the camera appears to not power on when the card is inserted. Canon will repair the camera free of charge – but very few cameras are affected and Canon UK says it has yet to see one."

From EyeFi we know this much about the EyeFi marketed product (which is not much more!):

• Handles RAW and JPG files and videos
  • compatible with 802.11 b/g/n on the 2.4GHz band.
  • Range: 90+ ft outdoors & 45+ ft indoors
  • Wi-Fi security: Static WEP 64/128, WPA-PSK, WPA2-PSK

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

es1
THREAD ­ STARTER
330 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 30, 2012 21:22 |  #8

Thanks Wilt. It seems that the RAW is the only difference so Sandisk it is for me. Do you happen to know any working SD -> CF adapters that work with 5D MKII and eye-fi?

unfy2012
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined May 2012

May 31, 2012 03:26 |  #9

Only thing is to know which of the two, remembering I will only save JPG to the Eye-Fi card and send that (RAW is saved to CF).

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,634 posts
Joined Aug 2005

May 31, 2012 09:33 |  #10

es1 wrote in post #14509077 (external link)
Thanks Wilt. It seems that the RAW is the only difference so Sandisk it is for me. Do you happen to know any working SD -> CF adapters that work with 5D MKII and eye-fi?

Just make sure the adapter is UDMA

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

es1
THREAD ­ STARTER
330 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 31, 2012 10:33 |  #11

Wilt wrote in post #14510978 (external link)
Just make sure the adapter is UDMA

I just ordered the Delock. Seems to be a popular choise.

0.0f
179 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Feb 06, 2013 05:55 |  #12

es1 wrote in post #14509077 (external link)

old thread resurrection - question, why go for an adapter when you can just get an sd eyefi card and send via an app to your tablet, phone or laptop?

anyhow what route did you end up taking just of interest?

EOS 5D MK3 - 24-70 MK2

sam1947
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 11, 2013 22:01 |  #13

es1 wrote in post #14511283 (external link)
I just ordered the Delock. Seems to be a popular choise.

Just for information, the 'Delock' is the ONLY adapter that will work with the MKII. I have 4 or 5 UMDA adapters sitting around that will not work. I have two Delocks that will work with the Eye-Fi cards. Only problem is, they aren't available in the US, when you find a dealer, they have to be imported from (I think) from the UK or Germany.

Rudix
279 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Dec 2004

Feb 12, 2013 21:40 |  #14

0.0f wrote in post #15578298 (external link)
old thread resurrection - question, why go for an adapter when you can just get an sd eyefi card and send via an app to your tablet, phone or laptop?

The SD->CF adapter is needed since not all cameras have SD slots!

sponsored links

7,105 views & 0 likes for this thread
Eye-Fi Pro X2 8 GB Class 6 SDHC vs SanDisk Eye-Fi 8 GB Class 4 SDHC
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.