Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 05 Oct 2008 (Sunday) 04:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need help re: Comet CT-600 Flash Head

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
44,984 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 05, 2008 18:25 |  #16

clengster_77 wrote in post #6443170 (external link)
so the wide blade is the negative and the opposite thin blade the positive?

I would call the wide blade 'ground' and the narrow blade 'trigger'

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links
clengster_77
THREAD ­ STARTER
613 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Oct 06, 2008 10:25 |  #17

got it! thanks so much for your help guys! :)

Canon 5D x 2
16 - 35L mk1 + 85 1.2L FD + 70 - 200 2.8L
50 1.4 + 85 1.8 + 580 EX + 420 EX + 055ProB + 488Rc2

Jonathan ­ H
359 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2007

Oct 14, 2008 22:37 |  #18

Polarity isn't an issue with sync. A household cord plugged in will sync either way. You can use any radio trigger (Pocketwizards, skyports, cybersyncs, gadget infinity, etc) or a regular PC cord connected directly to your camera if you have no other option.

The round port with lots of tiny pin holes is for connecting proprietary power packs. Dynalite makes a pack called the Jackrabbit which can be used to power either Dynalite or Comet monolights (like yours) and I believe they make adapter cables which can be used to connect the Jackrabbit to hotshoe flashes like the 580EX, but I could be mistaken. It is much smaller than the Innovatronix or Vagabond - about the size of a 5D with no lens.

*Canon*Apple*Dynalite*Avenger*Manfrotto*
*Chimera*Plume*Mola*Pe​lican*Tenba*

My feedback: https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=4399961&pos​tcount=893

clengster_77
THREAD ­ STARTER
613 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Oct 15, 2008 08:36 |  #19

thanks for confirming about the sync polarity. do you have any idea if this light will be safe for my 1dmk2 or my 30d with regards to the sync voltage?

Canon 5D x 2

Wilt
44,984 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 15, 2008 08:37 |  #20

Jonathan H wrote in post #6497655 (external link)
Polarity isn't an issue with sync. A household cord plugged in will sync either way. You can use any radio trigger (Pocketwizards, skyports, cybersyncs, gadget infinity, etc) or a regular PC cord connected directly to your camera if you have no other option.

Polarity can be an issue. For example, IIRC there are Norman packs that will not fire properly with certain cameras with the plug at the pack pointing in one direction, but will work fine if reverse 180 degrees.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

clengster_77
THREAD ­ STARTER
613 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Oct 15, 2008 08:40 |  #21

Wilt wrote in post #6499675 (external link)
Polarity can be an issue. For example, IIRC there are Norman packs that will not fire properly with certain cameras with the plug at the pack pointing in one direction, but will work fine if reverse 180 degrees.

is it about the battery pack or the sync port? i'm sorry i'm getting a bit confused now :o

Canon 5D x 2

Wilt
44,984 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 15, 2008 08:50 |  #22

clengster_77 wrote in post #6499687 (external link)
is it about the battery pack or the sync port? i'm sorry i'm getting a bit confused now :o

Battery packs certainly have a polarity! It is the sync cord which often has no polarity visible by plug design, but can indeed matter for proper functioning.

clengster_77
THREAD ­ STARTER
613 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Oct 15, 2008 09:32 |  #23

thanks again :)

Canon 5D x 2

kissel
157 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Feb 11, 2013 15:28 |  #24

I happened to buy a couple of these Comet strobes in a tip-top shape.
What's the P.Cell function? Can't find manuals anywhere on the web. Also, what is the white thing above the Variator switch?
Thanks!

Nikon D3 and stuff

Wilt
44,984 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 11, 2013 18:51 |  #25

kissel wrote in post #15599083 (external link)
What's the P.Cell function? Can't find manuals anywhere on the web. Also, what is the white thing above the Variator switch?
Thanks!

What model Comet?...Take a picture and post it. Often we can figure things out just by looking!

FlashZebra
This space available
4,427 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Feb 11, 2013 21:40 |  #26

kissel wrote in post #15599083 (external link)
Thanks!

A guess on the "P.Cell function".

This might be for "Photo Cell", another name for an optical slave.

Enjoy! Lon

http://flashzebra.com/ (external link)

kissel
157 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Feb 12, 2013 01:36 |  #27

Comet CT-600

IMAGE: http://img8.zol.com.cn/bbs/upload/5132/5131760_0800.jpg

Nikon D3 and stuff

Wilt
44,984 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 12, 2013 11:01 |  #28

Looking at the CT-600 illustration in the OP, I would say that the white round thing is the photocell for the optical trigger.

kissel
157 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Feb 12, 2013 13:49 |  #29

Shame the picture didn't work. But anyway - that really is a photocell. I was rather surprised to discover it today, since one of the reviews of this strobe I read on the internet prior to buying claimed CT-600 didn't have it. Having received the strobes in the mail yesterday I had no speedlight around to try it out. Thank you guys for help!

Took one of the strobes apart just to see what's inside - and was pleasantly surprised at how well it's built. Being 15 years old they are still fully functinal and definitelly better built than modern chinese strobes one can get for the same money - and much more powerful. Cooling is passive, which means there's enough durability. Recycle time is rather slow (at full power output), but ok for the studio.

Nikon D3 and stuff

sponsored links

8,806 views & 0 likes for this thread
Need help re: Comet CT-600 Flash Head
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.