Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 12 Feb 2013 (Tuesday) 00:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Illogical Thinking?

trx125
345 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 12, 2013 00:06 |  #1

Ok, I have had some focusing issues with my 40D. It may be me or it may be the camera, I'm not sure. I don't feel confident using the camera at just that right moment when it presents itself. I like the feel, function, and quality of the 40D. I have tried to work with it for several months now, but it still isn't working for me. It would cost me about $200 to send it in to be serviced, but for that money and the price I can get for it as is(w/accessories) I bought a newer 50d that is a couple years newer with half the shutter count and in pretty good condition( I think). I know it is sort of a lateral move, but I feel that starting anew will be better in the long run. What are your thoughts of the 50D for those that have or have owned one in the past. All your advice or thoughts are welcome and appreciated. Thanks!

7DMK2 I EF 24-105 F4L I CANON 70-200 2.8L IS USM II

sponsored links
cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 12, 2013 00:20 |  #2

I think it's your lenses. The ones you have aren't particularly fast. Even the 70-200 isn't ideal since f/4 doesn't let much light (and therefore contrast) hit the focusing sensors. The 50 is...well it's the 50. It has the right aperture but not the right AF motor.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

dubaiphotography
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Feb 12, 2013 00:21 |  #3

thanks guys.

trx125
THREAD ­ STARTER
345 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 12, 2013 00:35 |  #4

Ok, I'll quit whining now and go shoot some. Lol!

marsaz
203 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 12, 2013 01:41 as a reply to  @ trx125's post |  #5

Which focus points do you use usually? I have the 40D and i find it to be an awesome workhorse. It's a bit outdated now but it still is a great camera. I have heared horror stories about 40D and focusing but that never happened to me personally. It always focuses where i point it to.

Try using just the center focusing point and see how it performs.

flickr (external link)
6D and glass

Beanie's ­ Dad
581 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 12, 2013 04:28 as a reply to  @ marsaz's post |  #6

The 50D would give you AF micro-adjustment which of course is very useful - if you need it for any of your lenses.

My experience of the 50D vs the 40D was that it was just a little bit more reliable when doing a burst of action shots with AI Servo. The 40D would randomly lose focus some of the time, while the 50D was less likely to do so. Could've just been copy variation, or maybe the faster processor in the 50D gave it some help when under pressure. Dunno.

For static shots though, no difference.

5DIII, 5DII, EF24-105, EF 70-200 f4L IS, EF 85 1.8, "Sigmalux" 50 1.4, EF 35 f2, EF17-40 f4L

trx125
THREAD ­ STARTER
345 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 12, 2013 07:26 |  #7

Thanks!

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,197 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Feb 12, 2013 07:30 |  #8

For the slight price difference between selling a used 40D and picking up a similarly conditioned used 50D, I think it would be a good move.

You get a better LCD, micro adjustment, and more resolution. At least 2 of the 3 are pretty handy especially if you have a good collection of glass, and you also crop images down a bit. You won't gain any real amount of IQ though, other than by resizing the 50D down to a 40D image size, which will produce a more detailed less noisy image. The 50D sensor was slightly revised over the 40D too.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,436 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 12, 2013 09:11 |  #9

The 40D almost had me selling all my Canon gear and switching to Nikon. If Nikon would have had the Exmore sensor back then, I would have jumped. That said, the 50D firmly put be back in the Canon camp. All the frustration i felt with the 40D, and most were focusing issues (front/back and inconsistent), were gone or addressable with the 50D. I know most consider it a lateral but i saw it as a vast improvement. The picture quality is comparable, slight nod to the 50D, but the usability and reliability is way better. Go for the 50D without looking back. MFA alone is worth it.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

tomj
634 posts
Joined May 2010

Feb 12, 2013 09:18 |  #10

"What are your thoughts of the 50D..."

I owned one and really liked it. I never had focusing issues with it. I've never owned a 40d, but I would expect it to be just like the 50d in that respect.

What settings (AV, TV manual, green box, etc.) are you using, what focus points are you selecting, and what focus mode (AI Servo, etc.)?

Flickr (external link)

trx125
THREAD ­ STARTER
345 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 12, 2013 10:34 |  #11

tomj wrote in post #15601614 (external link)
"What are your thoughts of the 50D..."

I owned one and really liked it. I never had focusing issues with it. I've never owned a 40d, but I would expect it to be just like the 50d in that respect.

What settings (AV, TV manual, green box, etc.) are you using, what focus points are you selecting, and what focus mode (AI Servo, etc.)?

AV mostly, tv when needed and manual when I feel other adjustments need to be implemented. I use center focus mostly unless taking group portraits or need to focus on a larger area in view. I use one shot for most things and servo when shooting or anticipate shooting moving subjects. I tried AI Focus form time to time, but that has been hit or miss on most ocassions. Thanks for everyones advice.

sponsored links

1,673 views & 0 likes for this thread
Illogical Thinking?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.