Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 Jan 2013 (Tuesday) 20:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

G Series Forum Decline

mastertech01
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 20, 2013 12:05 |  #16

MOkoFOko wrote in post #15511932 (external link)
Yeah I'm kind of shocked at all of the cheap G1x's I've seen--one at $350 used, and another at $400. Prices on ebay aren't much higher. Makes you wonder about Canon's MSRP strategy.

Well Canon has always gotten the highest out the door prices I think, but one would think that there is little enthusiasm for those products when the used market is so low. Not too long ago it was a couple years before you saw a G series camera drop like that, when a new model replaced it. Makes you think twice about jumping on a new model out the door. It used to be safe because you could count on recovering about 90 percent for the first year.

sponsored links
2mnycars
Goldmember
3,035 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 20, 2013 13:23 |  #17

I believe G's appeal to good photographers who are interested in better image quality.

The market has shifted. Pehaps some posters who would have had G's are experimenting in other formats such as MFT's.

I regret I don't have a G15. I own more cameras than ever before.

Dave

Lesmore
874 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 20, 2013 14:40 |  #18

Judder Man wrote in post #15496408 (external link)
I think the gradual decline will partly be contributed by the good cameras out in the market place by Fuji and Sony. We even have current members on this forum who debate how good there Fuji model is on this G camera section.
Canon haven,t really gone with the flow of the interchangeable lens compact system, they have kept the G cameras at a good for value price, the G15 and G1x is under £500 here where some of the Sony and Fuji models are getting nearer to £1000.
The question is will the Sony and Fuji converts return.........will Canon come up with something outside the box.

It's not just Sony and Fuji converts...it's other cameras like the Pentax K-01...which has an ASP-C sensor...same on Pentax and the Nikon D7000 DSLR's use and a host of interchangeable lenses.

I have a G12 and although I like the camera...it's a disappointment with the small sensor and lack of interchangeable lenses.

In fact I have a small Pentax K-m DSLR body (smallest DSLR ASP-C when it was introduced) and I use my Pentax Limited Prime lenses....a 40 mm F 2.8 pancake and a 70mm F 2.4.

With the 40 Ltd. Pancake...the Pentax K-m is barely bulkier than the G1X.

Pentax is only one of the options that have advantages over the G series, which was a good idea in it's time...but I think it has gone as far as it can and now there is a lot of competition.

I find myself taking my K-m with 40mm Ltd as an everyday camera, more so than my G 12 now.

mastertech01
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 20, 2013 14:50 |  #19

Well if I wanted mini DSLR I reckon I wouldnt be looking at G series to begin with. Im looking in the value market and interchangeable lenses are usually never cost efficient. G series is already premium dollar for the camera group they serve. I sold all my high dollar DSLR equipment because I am not and never will be a professional photographer. I can tell you that I pretty much hated every one of the 1.6x crop cameras I ever owned. I was only satisfied with 1.3x or full frame with interchangeable lenses and the price of getting quality photos was L lens prices and just not smart for snap shot shooting. I dont sell my work. Just looking for the best bang for the buck I guess.

wilerty
237 posts
Joined May 2005

Jan 20, 2013 22:52 |  #20

I think the big mistake is Canon hindering the AF and speed of the G1X so as to not hurt the Rebel sales. The G1X takes GREAT pictures, but has its limitations. Canon could have made the G1X as fast as a Rebel.

What they did was not increase sales of the Rebel ... They increased sales of MFT and small Sonys, etc.

I just spent the weekend with a friend's Olmpus OMD M5 ... What a great camera. I think Canon really missed the boat on the G1X (although I love mine) and the EOS M. A powerful G2X and a full featured M body would be a step in the right direction. Momentum is a funny thing ... Once it starts to move in a different direction, it can be hard to change. Canon has made too many defensive moves recently.

Bill

| Olympus OM-D M5 | Canon G1 X | S95 | 320EX |

jt354
401 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jan 21, 2013 02:50 |  #21

I think the G1X has been a major failure for Canon, and the G15 doesn't offer much beyond the faster lens (not to trivialize that upgrade). I couldn't do without the articulated screen on my G12, why did they ditch it?

Zenfolio (external link)
flickr (external link)
Gear: Canon 60D / Canon G12 / Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 / Canon 35mm f/2 IS / Canon 85mm f/1.8 / Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 / Speedlite 430 EXII / Slik 700DX legs / Cullmann MB6 head

Norman ­ B
352 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 21, 2013 09:52 |  #22

PowerShotMike wrote in post #15508244 (external link)
Lightroom 4 can be had for so cheap!. I think it's $79.oo correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not to impressed with any stock software.

I think your post is in response to my previous post. Elements would be my choice in that regard. I have an interest in B & W once the money tree gets a few more leaves on it. Elements will support Silver Efex and I don't believe the cheaper version of Lightroom will. Elements plus Efex would come to about $300.00 in Canada unless I am wrong.

Trying to stay on topic here but I think the supplied software provided by manufacturers could be a decision maker for some buyers. I look at the 'Show your best with a G12' thread and find the majority of images pretty impressive. I sometimes wonder if people blame the camera instead of considering their own PP skills. There are other factors that come into play as well such as faster glass and larger sensor etc.

Also, consider the improving IQ/PP of cell phones which hasn't been mentioned yet. That plus the available free software that is available could be having a effect on all manufacturers at the high end P & S level.

I wish my PP skills were better but it is something I am working on. I can do the basics and know I have a long way to go. It's a work in progress. I am not in the business and pics taken are for my own enjoyment so there is lots of time.

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 21, 2013 17:26 |  #23

GordonSBuck wrote in post #15493844 (external link)
Anyone notice the decline in participation in this forum? I suspect that the reason for the decline is that the G15 is a lot like the G12,

What’s next for the G series? Anything? Blah?

For your argument's sake the G12 was a very minor G11 update basically getting just HD video, right? Whereas the G15 gets notably faster lens aperture and much faster autofocus wetting my appetite to get one to replace my aging a620 while the G11 and G12 were uninteresting.

Next? Probably 14 MP in fall of 2014.

jt354 wrote in post #15514575 (external link)
G15 doesn't offer much beyond the faster lens (not to trivialize that upgrade). I couldn't do without the articulated screen on my G12, why did they ditch it?

The faster lens and faster autofocus got me to buy my first G-series. And they probably got rid of the flip-out LCD to get the G15 smaller and lighter.

The very fast lens and good autofocus indoors at night without flash enables me to get use my G15 in places where I'd need to use my 5D and 50mm f/1.4 but with the G15 I get more DOF which many times is beneficial.

wilerty wrote in post #15514131 (external link)
I think the big mistake is Canon hindering the AF and speed of the G1X so as to not hurt the Rebel sales. The G1X takes GREAT pictures, but has its limitations. Canon could have made the G1X as fast as a Rebel.

You might be crazy if you think Canon intentionally made the focusing on the G1 X slow. It's a first generation model and like olympus with sensor based autofocus, Canon will speed focusing up like on the G15. Canon wants to sell cameras and products. For me the difference between a P&S and an SLR are significant and they are for different purposes really.

jt354
401 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jan 22, 2013 11:45 |  #24

That's great that they improved AF on the G15, I wasn't aware of that. And yeah, no way Canon is intentionally "slowing down" the G1X's AF. Canon has always lagged behind Nikon in DSLR AF, and probably other manufacturers in P&S autofocus.

Zenfolio (external link)
flickr (external link)
Gear: Canon 60D / Canon G12 / Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 / Canon 35mm f/2 IS / Canon 85mm f/1.8 / Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 / Speedlite 430 EXII / Slik 700DX legs / Cullmann MB6 head

GordonSBuck
THREAD ­ STARTER
914 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Feb 11, 2013 21:01 |  #25

Seems like there used to be more always than 40 participants in this forum. Now there is usually about 20 to 30, sometimes less than 20.

Don't get me wrong. I am a long time member and like this forum -- should probably participate more often myself. My current G series camera is the G1X and I write about it on my blog, http://lightdescriptio​n.blogspot.com/ (external link).

Gordon
http://lightdescriptio​n.blogspot.com (external link)
My 10 Best Photos: http://hornerbuck.smug​mug.com …187_MdCXA#56343​6691_UdXpt (external link)

tmwag
Brown Noser has crush on Suzyview
2,641 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 11, 2013 21:06 as a reply to  @ GordonSBuck's post |  #26

Could be potential Canon compact buyers look towards other cameras..there are other alternatives..

tmwag
Brown Noser has crush on Suzyview
2,641 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 11, 2013 21:18 |  #27

jt354 wrote in post #15520117 (external link)
Canon has always lagged behind Nikon in DSLR AF, and probably other manufacturers in P&S autofocus.

..prove it!

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,842 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Feb 11, 2013 21:34 |  #28

I've been neglecting my G12 since I got the 60D. I need to force myself to use it more.
The G forum really helped me learn the basics of photography. So many of you contributed to my learning process....

thx again.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

denncald
Goldmember
2,115 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 12, 2013 10:34 as a reply to  @ Phoenixkh's post |  #29

The G series attracts a very specific group of photographers, but I believe that there are many new options in the past year or two. One I think that is pulling folks away is the new and improved smart phone cameras. My step-son has a DSLR to take kids photos, and still uses it in the house. He also takes lots of video (Canon video camera) as they are quickly growing up (ages 1 and 4). He recently bought a new smart phone (his first) with an 8 MP camera and 1080p video. He is now taking most of his video with the phone, and more photos, since it is quicker and easier to use.

DPR forums have added a Mobile forum devoted to the new smart phones, tablets, etc. There are lots of new photo editing apps for mobile devices with attractive features. People appear to more interested in being able to take snapshots that they can quickly upload to Facebook or Twitter. Smart phones are providing them the capability with no fuss, and instant gratification. Cameras like the G series don't fit this new paradigm.

I think that the real reason more folks are not interested in this forum is the attraction to "the next big thing", which is mobile devices tied to Facebook and Twitter. I'm not attracted to any of that, but then I'm an old guy (70) with different interests.

Dennis

mastertech01
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 12, 2013 12:11 |  #30

I dont even own a cell phone Dennis.. people think Im nuts and just cant comprehend how I could live without one.

sponsored links

15,396 views & 0 likes for this thread
G Series Forum Decline
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.