Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 12 Feb 2013 (Tuesday) 23:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How might I achieve this light?

abbypanda
Goldmember
1,804 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 12, 2013 23:30 |  #1

I saw and loved these kids portraits! So cute!
I'm a bit new to indoor light. I will do some preschool kids in a few months and am debating sticking to outside or moving inside.

Currently I own a small light kit: 2 umbrellas w/ stand
430 ex
580 exii
large circle reflector

I want to buy a soft box

What might I need to achieve some lighting like these images? It appears there is 2 sources.
If a softbox, what size is best?
Could I do this with my umbrellas

http://www.abbymalonep​hotography.com …L5Nx/2/XL/i-8f4L5Nx-L.png (external link)

On a side note: Been working with my umbrellas inside on my pup as practice. Here is my best result. I think I messed up the flash umbrella on my left b/c I had to shop in the catchlight

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

sponsored links
FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 12, 2013 23:38 |  #2

I'd bet $1 that the litte girl was shot in natural light from a south-facing window. Extra catchlights might be from overhead fixtures in the classroom.

In any event, IMO, she's about a stop over exposed.

You've created a very nice pet portrait btw.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

abbypanda
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,804 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 12, 2013 23:53 |  #3

Thank you and I was thinking it was from a window. I figure I can use one but don't wanna rely on one in case it's rainy, etc.
So you think I can do this with the flourescents and a window?
In the event of a dark day should my umbrellas be enough or would I need something larger in size?

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 12, 2013 23:54 |  #4

For a simple single head shot, your umbrellas should suffice.

You can adjust the intensity of the window light by simply moving your subject closer to the window and then fill with one umbrella.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

abbypanda
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,804 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 13, 2013 00:03 |  #5

alright, i'll go up there sometime here in the next few wks and give it a go. So say if it is a bright day use the window as main and umbrella or reflector (?) as fill.

If its very stormy should I use the umbrella as main and window as some fill? or just try to block it out completely in that case and just use artificial?

BTNorris
212 posts
Joined May 2005

Feb 13, 2013 00:31 as a reply to  @ abbypanda's post |  #6

She seems to do very well with getting the kids' expressions. I think a lot of parents would be thrilled with her work.

So, not to be too negative, but look carefully at some of the eyes - they appear to be (overly, IMHO) photoshopped - maybe with MCP's "Eye Doctor" action? About 1/3 of the way down there's a boy in a striped sweater and then a girl in a pink shirt that appear to have eyes that can't appear in nature.

I think some of the difference between your perfectly nice dog and those children is in the post processing. In any case, I think your plan will work fine. If the available light is good, use it; otherwise don't (or augment it).

Here's the link to the page you copied in case others want to see:
http://daniellelavisph​otography.com …ture-preschool-portraits/ (external link)

7D, 17-55, 50 1.4, 70-200, 10-22, Kenko Tubes, OPTIX xr, Einstein

abbypanda
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,804 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 13, 2013 00:53 |  #7

I'll take a look at the kids you mention. Thanks for posting the link. I wanted to but wasnt sure if folks would take the time to look and then make suggestions.

In all honesty, I do like the kids expressions and with photography. I liked all hers and I liked the idea of sitting at the desk with the books. I have an "old time" desk for kids that I can use as a prop, and maybe put some books in the background or something else.

I like to capture the "real" expressions of kids (vs posing in front of a background). My other option was to do something outside that might cause the kids to laugh, etc, etc. I did a leaf throwing with my nephew and his expressions were so priceless (at least to me)
I've tried thinking of a few options for using natural light and a reflector, but I'm not sure what action might appeal to a wide range of kids. I considered bubbles, an animal...

I have some time to work on indoor lighting and put some thought into where I'll do them and how.

I don't know what that eye doctor software is, but is it to enhance color or like are you talking photoshopping catchlights, etc.

abbypanda
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,804 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 13, 2013 00:57 |  #8

Oh and if I did some indoor portraits, since we are talking about photoshopping the eyes and such.Should I get something for the skin or is that not necessary for kids. I wouldnt think it necessary?

BTNorris
212 posts
Joined May 2005

Feb 13, 2013 08:54 as a reply to  @ abbypanda's post |  #9

Others will disagree, but I do not like photos of children that "look" processed, nor do I feel they usually need skin processing.

I saw those leaf-throwing photos you did - I didn't commment at the time, but I really thought they were excellent.

Not sure what your end goal is, but if the kids work in table groups, I've gotten some good ones with one kid "helping" another one - I like the interaction. I've posed kindergarteners holding a pencil (not necessarily writing) for the cover of their writing folders - which went over well.

Your ideas sound good. In other words - you'll do well.

7D, 17-55, 50 1.4, 70-200, 10-22, Kenko Tubes, OPTIX xr, Einstein

doidinho
Goldmember
3,352 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 13, 2013 10:42 |  #10

Looks like natural light and that the child was facing into the corner of the room with a large window to the right of the corner and a smaller window to the left.

Robert McCadden
My Flickr (external link)
MM (external link)
5DMKII, Rebel xti, 24-105 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40.

sponsored links

1,062 views & 0 likes for this thread
How might I achieve this light?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.