Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
Thread started 04 Feb 2013 (Monday) 13:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lens choices for Havasupai

dfinn
301 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 04, 2013 13:27 |  #1

I was able to get through and get a reservation. I'll be there for 3 nights around the beginning of May. I'll probably bring my 5d2. I'm not sure on what to bring for lenses. I wish I could bring everything but it's a 10 mile hike so I'm going to have to keep it as light as possible.

I have:

17-40L
15mm fisheye
50mm 1.4
70-200 2.8

I'm wondering if I should just bring the 17-40? Maybe also the fisheye? I suppose the 50 is small enough that it could be considered too. I think the 70-200 is not even an option unfortunately.

Any thoughts from someone who has been there?

sponsored links
rparchen
Goldmember
1,600 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 06, 2013 14:10 |  #2

I did the hike a few years ago and used every lens in my bag. Are you planning to camp at the falls or hike in-out in a day? I did the in-out in a single day and had a blast but did most of my shooting later in the afternoon once the falls were in the shade. Bring a headlamp :)

Rick - Sony A7R (RIP 6D), Samyang 14, Zeiss 21/35/50, Canon 70-200L
Facebook page for updates (external link)
www.parchenphotography​.com (external link)
IG: @ParchenPhotography

LarryD
848 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 07, 2013 20:08 as a reply to  @ rparchen's post |  #3

I think that for a Full Frame, the 17-40mm will get a workout and keep distortion at a minimum..

The only thing wrong with the 70-200mm is that it is no lightweight, but you will likely find it very handy.. If you can find a nice 70-300L you can save on the weight and still get those distant shots at the expense of a couple stops.. Have fun.. :)

.... Got some cameras; got some glass ..... I just need one more of each.....:rolleyes:

Some Snap-Shots (external link)
http://500px.com/Larry​D (external link)

Indecent ­ Exposure
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 07, 2013 23:56 |  #4

I would take all of those lenses and not even think twice about it.

- James -
www.feedthewant.com (external link)
500px (external link)
Gear List and Feedback

dfinn
THREAD ­ STARTER
301 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 11, 2013 17:09 |  #5

Indecent Exposure wrote in post #15585674 (external link)
I would take all of those lenses and not even think twice about it.

Just curious if you've been?

We'll be there for 3 nights so that means I have to bring food for the whole time we are there plus sleeping bag/tent/whatever else we might want.

rparchen, how was it doing in/out all in 1 day. That must have been a long day. Did you get to spend much time at the falls?

Indecent ­ Exposure
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 11, 2013 17:20 |  #6

I wish. Havasupai looks enchanting.

It seems to me that all your lenses were well thought out purchases with little use overlap. Nature hikes anywhere would make good use of all of those lenses. I'd hate to limit myself when going to a place I may never visit again.

- James -
www.feedthewant.com (external link)
500px (external link)
Gear List and Feedback

badams
699 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2006

Feb 13, 2013 19:24 |  #7

I wanted to make that trip when I was out that way in 2007, but didn't have time. I can't imagine in and out in 1 day.

To those that have made the hike, did you see any wildlife along the way?

Everyday use: 7D2, 1.4x v3 Canon TC (sometimes the 2x v2 Canon TC), Canon 500mm f4 L IS USM; 6D, 24-105L
http://www.southernokp​hotography.com (external link)

socalrailfan
Goldmember
1,475 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Feb 23, 2013 17:21 |  #8

Lucky SOB, I can't wait to go there someday myself. I would think wide angle would be the choice overall from what I've seen. Use everything and have FUN!!! What company are you using for the trip?

Dave - Riverside, CA PhotographersNature.co​m (external link)
Canon 60D & 40D. Canon 24-105 L, 10-22, 100mmL 50mm 1.4 and 70-300 L lenses.
My photos on Flickr (external link), my Google Earth/Panoramio photos (external link)

rparchen
Goldmember
1,600 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 23, 2013 20:00 |  #9

dfinn wrote in post #15599418 (external link)
Just curious if you've been?
rparchen, how was it doing in/out all in 1 day. That must have been a long day. Did you get to spend much time at the falls?

It was a long day that started an hour before the sun came up and lasted a few hours after the sun went down. I actually spent quite a bit of time at the falls since I was waiting for the sun to go down far enough so there wouldn't be any shadows. The benefit is that I could carry less equipment (no tent, etc, needed) but that means you're committed to 20 miles in a day. The last mile out of the canyon is pretty brutal so I'd recommend logging some difficult miles before hand.

badams wrote in post #15607506 (external link)
I wanted to make that trip when I was out that way in 2007, but didn't have time. I can't imagine in and out in 1 day.

To those that have made the hike, did you see any wildlife along the way?

The closest thing I saw to wildlife was stray dogs that followed me for the majority of the trip. They were probably waiting for me to drop dead so they could eat my Cliff bars :)

Rick - Sony A7R (RIP 6D), Samyang 14, Zeiss 21/35/50, Canon 70-200L
Facebook page for updates (external link)
www.parchenphotography​.com (external link)
IG: @ParchenPhotography

gooble
Goldmember
3,149 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Apr 04, 2014 19:20 |  #10

I thought I'd awaken a dead thread and see what the OP used on the trip. I'm going to Havasupai soon and am debating the same thing. 5D II, 17-40, 24-105 & 70-200, all f/4. What would be your most used lens.

sponsored links

2,156 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lens choices for Havasupai
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.