Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
Thread started 04 Jun 2008 (Wednesday) 18:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sigma APO 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM - Bigmos

boufa
494 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 13, 2013 20:25 |  #3151

khughes44 wrote in post #15607643 (external link)
Hoping for some criticism on this photo. All opinions welcome.

I like it. However, if you want feedback then it would look better if the subject was brighter than the background. This thread is not the right place for evaluation of images, except in relation to the lens. So to stay on topic, one of the best accessories that you can have for this lens is a better beamer flash extender. It throws a decent flash as lot further and makes a great fill flash on images like these.

I have found that with the flash on high speed sync you can leave it on, and if you are close enough, it helps, and if not, no harm done.

Canon EOS 7D & 40D | Σ 10-20mm Wigma | Σ 150-600mm | Σ 18-250mm Macro | Canon 18-135 STM | Canon 55-250 STM
Gallery/Website/Blog - TowPathPhoto (external link)
Social Media - - - on Flickr (external link) . . . on Twitter (external link)
Creator of @OhioBirdAlert (external link) on Twitter

sponsored links
khughes44
199 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Feb 13, 2013 22:28 |  #3152

boufa wrote in post #15607693 (external link)
I like it. However, if you want feedback then it would look better if the subject was brighter than the background. This thread is not the right place for evaluation of images, except in relation to the lens. So to stay on topic, one of the best accessories that you can have for this lens is a better beamer flash extender. It throws a decent flash as lot further and makes a great fill flash on images like these.

I have found that with the flash on high speed sync you can leave it on, and if you are close enough, it helps, and if not, no harm done.

Thank you. point taken on evaluation, although I did mean it in terms of the lens. Some discussion of sharpness etc. has taken place, and I meant my request in that context. I have not found the lens to be particularly sharp, although some of the photos here are excellent. Would you be happy with the sharpness of this picture?

Part of my problem is the constant darkness where I live. It is very grey for about 9 months of the year, and finding good light in which to shoot is rare. High ISO's are required; higher when stepping the lens down. I will look into a flash and a flash extender.

boufa
494 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 13, 2013 23:48 |  #3153

khughes44 wrote in post #15608124 (external link)
Thank you. point taken on evaluation, although I did mean it in terms of the lens. Some discussion of sharpness etc. has taken place, and I meant my request in that context. I have not found the lens to be particularly sharp, although some of the photos here are excellent. Would you be happy with the sharpness of this picture?

Part of my problem is the constant darkness where I live. It is very grey for about 9 months of the year, and finding good light in which to shoot is rare. High ISO's are required; higher when stepping the lens down. I will look into a flash and a flash extender.

For the record, I had no problem with your request for critique. I was trying to keep my comments on topic, that's all I ment. I am also on mobile so I cannot really evaluate quality. As for dark, I have similar issues. The other place that this lens struggles is under heavy canopy. I tried shooting warblers during spring migration. It did okay, however it did struggle from time to time. I never considered a flash with this lens, but have since learned it's value.

Canon EOS 7D & 40D | Σ 10-20mm Wigma | Σ 150-600mm | Σ 18-250mm Macro | Canon 18-135 STM | Canon 55-250 STM
Gallery/Website/Blog - TowPathPhoto (external link)
Social Media - - - on Flickr (external link) . . . on Twitter (external link)
Creator of @OhioBirdAlert (external link) on Twitter

khughes44
199 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Feb 13, 2013 23:56 |  #3154

boufa wrote in post #15608328 (external link)
For the record, I had no problem with your request for critique. I was trying to keep my comments on topic, that's all I ment. I am also on mobile so I cannot really evaluate quality. As for dark, I have similar issues. The other place that this lens struggles is under heavy canopy. I tried shooting warblers during spring migration. It did okay, however it did struggle from time to time. I never considered a flash with this lens, but have since learned it's value.

Ok Kevin, we're good. I appreciate your feedback. I am about to pull the trigger (so to speak) on a Yongnuo 568 and a Better Beamer. Then I'll be able to use Bigmos while trudging through the woods, and trudging through Vancouver too.

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,064 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Feb 14, 2013 02:11 |  #3155

khughes44 wrote in post #15608124 (external link)

nobody will be able to tell how sharp your shot is based off of an image of that size...

http://www.juzaphoto.c​om/article.php?l=en&ar​ticle=10 (external link)

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

dfbovey
Goldmember
1,602 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 14, 2013 08:59 |  #3156

It looks like you picked up some motion blur on that heron shot, which makes it look a bit soft. What was your shutter speed?

Flickr (external link)
Canon 1D markIV - Canon 1D markIII - Canon 6D
Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L - Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L - Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L - Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS - Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L - Canon EF 500mm f/4L

khughes44
199 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Feb 14, 2013 17:10 |  #3157

dfbovey wrote in post #15609155 (external link)
It looks like you picked up some motion blur on that heron shot, which makes it look a bit soft. What was your shutter speed?

1/160, F8, ISO 1600.

I'll learn how to post from flickr and include the exif data. Sorry for the hassle.

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,064 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Feb 14, 2013 17:30 |  #3158

khughes44 wrote in post #15610766 (external link)
1/160, F8, ISO 1600.

I'll learn how to post from flickr and include the exif data. Sorry for the hassle.

the exif data was there on your shot.

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

vmlopes
Goldmember
4,917 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 15, 2013 02:20 |  #3159

1/160, F8, ISO 1600.

1/160 is a bit slow and would equate to either motion blur or potential camera shake.....u really need to up this a bit for wildlife

Flickr (external link)
"I choose to live my life to a different tune of music., one which is not censored or wrapped so much with a blanket of over -regulation, Health & Safety gone mad, fear and blind compliance to anything you are told to do"........... Downfallen, RIP

dfbovey
Goldmember
1,602 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 15, 2013 12:10 |  #3160

1/160, F8, ISO 1600.

When I view from work I don't have an exif reader. Not your fault.

But to the point, that's a really really slow shutter speed for this lens. I'd consider 1/800 or higher. I'd usually shoot at 1/1000-1/1250 and then adjust the ISO accordingly. You might introduce noise in low light situations, but that's better than a blurry image which can't be fixed in post production.

Flickr (external link)
Canon 1D markIV - Canon 1D markIII - Canon 6D
Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L - Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L - Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L - Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS - Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L - Canon EF 500mm f/4L

ptcanon3ti
Cream of the Crop
8,353 posts
Gallery: 432 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Sep 2012

Feb 17, 2013 11:06 |  #3161

First attempts with the BIGMOS! So pumped...NO Crop on this yet the bird is clearly visible. Thru my kitchen door. :lol:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Raven on tree Sigma test (external link) by ptcanon3ti (external link), on Flickr

Again no crop. Got some blur...wasn't expecting him to take off right when I took the shot.
IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Raven take off Sigma test (external link) by ptcanon3ti (external link), on Flickr

Paul
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/petshots/ (external link)
Body - Nikon D750
Lenses - Nikon 20 f1.8 / Nikon 16-35 f4 / Sigma 105 OS Macro / Sigma 24-105 f4 Art / Tamron 70-200 2.8 Di VC / Sigma 150-600 "S"

UK_MARK
Goldmember
1,277 posts
Gallery: 57 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Feb 20, 2013 15:34 as a reply to  @ ptcanon3ti's post |  #3162

A few from the weekend, Great Tits and a Robin.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i2.photobucket.​com …PREDATOR2569/IM​G_4756.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

http://i2.photobucket.​com …y37/PREDATOR256​9/gtit.jpg (external link)

http://i2.photobucket.​com …37/PREDATOR2569​/robin.jpg (external link)

My Flickr (external link)
Gear- - Canon 6D - Canon 7D mkII - Canon 80D - Canon 17-40L - Canon 500mm L F4 - Sigma 105 F2.8 OS Macro - Canon EF 40mm F2.8 STM - Sigma 24-105 F4 ART - Canon 1.4 III - Lee filter system.

khughes44
199 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Feb 20, 2013 16:22 |  #3163

vmlopes wrote in post #15612128 (external link)
1/160 is a bit slow and would equate to either motion blur or potential camera shake.....u really need to up this a bit for wildlife

Thanks for the feedback guys. Here's one taken when the light was better.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

vmlopes
Goldmember
4,917 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 22, 2013 05:17 |  #3164

UK_MARK wrote in post #15632802 (external link)
A few from the weekend, Great Tits and a Robin.

IMAGE NOT FOUND PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.

http://i2.photobucket.​com …PREDATOR2569/IM​G_4756.jpg (external link)

http://i2.photobucket.​com …y37/PREDATOR256​9/gtit.jpg (external link)

http://i2.photobucket.​com …37/PREDATOR2569​/robin.jpg (external link)

Mark, good captures, but there is something weird going on with the bokeh in these shots, have you blurred the backgrounds and over sharpened the birds maybe???

Flickr (external link)
"I choose to live my life to a different tune of music., one which is not censored or wrapped so much with a blanket of over -regulation, Health & Safety gone mad, fear and blind compliance to anything you are told to do"........... Downfallen, RIP

UK_MARK
Goldmember
1,277 posts
Gallery: 57 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Feb 22, 2013 11:14 |  #3165

vmlopes wrote in post #15639091 (external link)
Mark, good captures, but there is something weird going on with the bokeh in these shots, have you blurred the backgrounds and over sharpened the birds maybe???

Yes i noticed that esp #1#3 weird because on my pc they are fine before uploading to PB no pp apart from a smart sharpen in cs5. I have not had this issue before.??? Possibly a glitch with this new beta version of PB maybe.

My Flickr (external link)
Gear- - Canon 6D - Canon 7D mkII - Canon 80D - Canon 17-40L - Canon 500mm L F4 - Sigma 105 F2.8 OS Macro - Canon EF 40mm F2.8 STM - Sigma 24-105 F4 ART - Canon 1.4 III - Lee filter system.

sponsored links

1,260,062 views & 50 likes for this thread
Sigma APO 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM - Bigmos
FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.