Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 05 Feb 2013 (Tuesday) 01:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Roadtriping all around Canada and the USA what are your ''Must see''?

Rivest
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,678 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 07, 2013 13:48 |  #31

As of now I'm in Whistler, going back to Banff to pick my friend up than we'll be heading for Seattle.

After that, no plans, it'll be adventure!

Hi, I'm David.

sponsored links
doidinho
Goldmember
3,352 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 07, 2013 14:11 as a reply to  @ post 15583356 |  #32

I'm goign to make some Washington/Oregon suggestions.

First off, if I was doing the trip, I would decide if I wanted to travel inland across Washington and hit Seattle and possibly some mountains, or take the 101 coastal route. You could do them both; however, you will be doing al lot of east/west travel to make that happen.

I would choose the inland route myself because the weather is going to be cold, damp, and windy on the coast this time of year and I know that I would still be able to see plenty of the coast further south.

Seattle is great and we can discuss specific locations to shoot when you get here, if you decide to pass through.

From Seattle I would take I-5 to Portland.

The Oregon Gorge begins about 30 minutes east of Portland. The scenic highway through the area is roughly 30 miles long and has some of the most beautifull waterfalls right off the highway. You park your car, walk 100' and click away. There are also a bunch of trailheads along the highway, so you can park and go exploring if you like. You will find a bunch of additioanal waterfalls along the trails further in.

http://www.waterfallsw​est.com …php?id=columbia​rivergorge (external link)

When you get done with the Oregon side of the gorge you can cross the bridge, loop back to Portland along the Washington side of the Columbia River, and check out the cool stonehedge replica. Probably not a destination spot, but worth stopping by if your near.

http://www.maryhillmus​eum.org …nge/stonehengeD​etail.html (external link)

After you finish with Portland I would head west to Astoria and start the journey south through Oregon along the coast.

Outside of Astoria is Fort Stevens State Park were there is a really cool shipwreck and old millitary armory you can photograph. You can see the shipwreck and armory here:

https://www.google.com …ei=VwkUUa7oIaP3​igKonYHIAg (external link)

Other notables along the Oregon Coast are:

Canon Beach and Haystack Rock
https://www.google.com …89d478a&biw=192​0&bih=1057 (external link)

Cape Perpetua

Heceta Head Lighthouse

Oregon Sand Dunes

All of the locations, starting with Astoria through to the dunes are all right off the highway. I don't think any of them requrire more than a 5 minute walk.

Robert McCadden
My Flickr (external link)
MM (external link)
5DMKII, Rebel xti, 24-105 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40.

squashed
Goldmember
4,094 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 07, 2013 14:22 |  #33

After Yosemite and on your way to Las Vegas, stop by my Radio Station in Bishop,Ca. (KIBS-FM and KBOV-AM, South end of town). I give you some local points of interest. That is if your travels take you down HWY 395 !!

Done with Numbers. Own the X and the R
http://www.garyyoungph​otography.com (external link)

Samgoit
826 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Feb 07, 2013 14:34 as a reply to  @ squashed's post |  #34

On your way out of Oregon you can do Crater Lake and Redwood Nat'l Park.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,409 posts
Gallery: 144 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 07, 2013 14:36 |  #35

David,

I see you have a 300 f2.8
So, I'm assuming that you probably like to shoot some wildlife?
If so, feel free to PM me and I can tell you of some very good locations that are right along your route.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 08, 2013 02:35 |  #36

Even though from Vancouver, WA, I could chime in for the Pacific Northwest, right now I'll chime in for Joshua Tree National Monument in Southern California where I grew up!:):

http://www.pbase.com/t​onylong/image/78724247 (external link)

http://www.pbase.com/t​onylong/image/79387385 (external link)

http://www.pbase.com/t​onylong/image/79387668 (external link)

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 08, 2013 17:27 |  #37

If you're going to San Francisco, be sure to wear flowers in your hair.

Uh....sorry...dumb joke.

Seriously, 45 minutes south of San Francisco is a surf spot called Mavericks. It's California's biggest wave that's easily accessible to surfers. It's been a famous spot for about twenty years. It killed Mark Foo, made Jay Moriarity famous, and is a tremendous wave to shoot if you have a big lens.

Thank you. bw!

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 09, 2013 21:45 |  #38

MikeFairbanks wrote in post #15588562 (external link)
Seriously, 45 minutes south of San Francisco is a surf spot called Mavericks. It's California's biggest wave that's easily accessible to surfers. It's been a famous spot for about twenty years. It killed Mark Foo, made Jay Moriarity famous, and is a tremendous wave to shoot if you have a big lens.

Really? I hadn't heard of it!

I've been to a similar spot called The Wedge, in Newport Beach, CA, notorious place, I did manage to catch a wave body-surfing, but I didn't want to spend a lot of time risking my hide!

Tony
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 09, 2013 21:48 |  #39

Mike, out of curiosity where is it compared to, say, Half Moon Bay? I don't see it on a map, but my internet connection is pretty slow for a good scrutiny in Google Maps...

Tony

Rivest
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,678 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 09, 2013 22:27 |  #40

Wow everyone, I can't thank you enough for all your help, it is really appreciated.

Robert, shooting/visiting in Seattle sure could be great, let's make it work.

Tom, I do like shooting wildlife, specially when it isn't in a zoo! I'll send you a PM.

Mike, thanks for the surfing spot, I'll check that out for sure!

By the way, if you ever are on the west coast close to where I'll pass and I could set up my tent on your land (or sleep on the couch for a night; couchsurfing), letting me know would help me out a lot. My girlfriend and I have lots of plans of where to go and a not so big budget. Hosting will probably be our biggest expense except gas so saving on a night here and there could help a lot. Feel free to drop a PM if you think you or a friend/family members of yours could help us out.

Oh and we are very polite and look normal too :lol:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net …427068725_27284​2620_n.jpg (external link)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net …133551972_75002​5129_n.jpg (external link)

Hi, I'm David.

spyderpig
192 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 11, 2013 20:41 as a reply to  @ Rivest's post |  #41

Keep in mind that National PARKS are different from National FOREST. National parks are where you go pay a fee to get in and they have all the touristy stuff. National forests are large areas of public land where you can do almost anything, including pitching a tent and sleeping there for free.

However, that comes with a caveat. Lately, the government has been restricting overnight camping to designated areas in some national forests in popular areas. You'll have to do some research and find out for yourself where these areas are. They usually have these locations stated on the national forest website, but they're not always easy to find on the website. It would be a good idea to call the ranger station that's close to where ever you want to camp.

You also can't just camp off the side of the highway. You need to find a forest road (dirt road) and find a suitable site.

In addition to this "dispersed camping", they also have more organized camp grounds that charge around $12-$20 per day and usually this includes pit toilets, picnic tables, a fire ring, and running water at central locations. Sometimes there's even showers.

If you do go through the bishop area, there are a bunch of really nice campgrounds all along 395 and if you venture off onto dirt roads lots of places to camp for free.

T2i | Canon 15-85mm | kit 55-250mm | Sigma 80-400mm
Harsh and honest C & C is ALWAYS encouraged for any of my photos.

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Feb 12, 2013 18:34 as a reply to  @ post 15577280 |  #42

Don't forget the world's largest ball of string. http://www.atlasobscur​a.com …ball-twine-rolled-one-man (external link)

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

Rivest
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,678 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 14, 2013 01:27 |  #43

spyderpig wrote in post #15600156 (external link)
Keep in mind that National PARKS are different from National FOREST. National parks are where you go pay a fee to get in and they have all the touristy stuff. National forests are large areas of public land where you can do almost anything, including pitching a tent and sleeping there for free.

However, that comes with a caveat. Lately, the government has been restricting overnight camping to designated areas in some national forests in popular areas. You'll have to do some research and find out for yourself where these areas are. They usually have these locations stated on the national forest website, but they're not always easy to find on the website. It would be a good idea to call the ranger station that's close to where ever you want to camp.

You also can't just camp off the side of the highway. You need to find a forest road (dirt road) and find a suitable site.

In addition to this "dispersed camping", they also have more organized camp grounds that charge around $12-$20 per day and usually this includes pit toilets, picnic tables, a fire ring, and running water at central locations. Sometimes there's even showers.

If you do go through the bishop area, there are a bunch of really nice campgrounds all along 395 and if you venture off onto dirt roads lots of places to camp for free.

Thanks for the info, very useful information in there.

On another note, departure date is in a day, this trip will be a nice one and partially because of you guys!

Hi, I'm David.

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Feb 14, 2013 15:53 |  #44

Grand canyon and bunch of parks around it.
http://www.us-parks.com/the-grand-circle.html (external link)

Camping is 10-15 bucks a night. A pass gets you into the park for free. You have to reserve each park well in advance OR you can try to do first come-first serve.

Link to the pass:
http://www.nps.gov/fin​dapark/passes.htm (external link)
Free entrance to any US Forest service, Bureau of Land management or national park with one car and three people.

I am planning to trip to grand canyon whereabouts and as much as I'd like to camp in the field for free, the time it takes to find free campsites and the potential uncertainties as to where you're camping is too much for me. I am not sure how quebec system works in terms of provincial parks, but in ontario they charge you close to ridiculous fees of 40-50 bucks a night for a spot in the park where you have to leave by 11 am and purchase extra tickets to enjoy the rest of the day. In the states it's much easier and cheaper.

I don't understand the need to stay in the cities if you're not doing touristy stuff. Generally the prices would be much higher than stopping somewhere in the boonies.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Feb 14, 2013 16:09 |  #45

IMHO the bottom line is this:

You're taking a lot of time and a good chunk of money for gas to explore the world. To get the most out of it, you want to maximize the time you spend in the places which make certain geographical areas famous or unique and to make cool pictures.

Considering those are your goals, you would want to pay 10-20 bucks a night (split with your friend) for a campsite simple because it allows you the opportunity to do the stuff you've set out to do. The reason they regulate a lot of national parks with campsites in US is the fact that the places are REALLY COOL. You get unique geological formations, great views and amazing ecology. Paid campsites are usually right smack in the middle of those cool features or a hike away from them.

IF you choose to go free, you'll end up driving through the country waking up in random dirt roads, fields or forest patches and missing out on the stuff you've set out to do.

I'm exaggerating for the effect and oftentimes it's not the case, but if you're covering this much land I believe at least some of it should be in developed campgrounds. You can put up with some neighbours and presence of a fire pit with a table, but you'll be able to wake up before dawn, hike for 5 minutes and hit a famous spot while the light is still awesome.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

sponsored links

8,747 views & 0 likes for this thread
Roadtriping all around Canada and the USA what are your ''Must see''?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.