Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 14 Feb 2013 (Thursday) 03:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1980s EF 200mm 1/1.8f L series - need help

sparkielspa
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined May 2009

Feb 14, 2013 03:37 |  #1

Hi all
I have been a very lucky girl and been given a late 1980s EF 200mm 1/1.8F L series lens - however I cannot find the instruction booklet anywhere on the internet and have contacted Canon and they are unable to help.

Does anyone know what all those buttons/switches do please as I am desperate to get using it!

Many thanks for any and all help!

Sparkie:lol:

sponsored links
kay188
825 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 14, 2013 03:48 |  #2

GIVEN??? You're lucky indeed.

Ricoh GRD4 | Canon 1Ds, 1D, 1D2, 1D2n| Canon XTi | Tokina 11-16 F/2.8 | Canon 16-35L I | Canon 24 F/2.8 | Canon 35 F/2 | Canon 50 F/1.8 I | Canon 135L | Sigma 24-70 EX DG Macro | Sigma 70-200 F/2.8 APO EX DG | Sigma 30 F/1.4 |Sigma 50 F/1.4 |Sigma & Kenko 1.4x TC| Canon 580EX II | Sigma EF-500 Super | 2x Vivitar 285HV | RF-602 Triggers |

sparkielspa
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined May 2009

Feb 14, 2013 03:52 as a reply to  @ kay188's post |  #3

Thanks Kay - just havent a clue how to use it - there are about 6 switches on it so will take a lifetime to work out!

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Feb 14, 2013 05:26 |  #4

sparkielspa wrote in post #15608655 (external link)
Hi all
I have been a very lucky girl and been given a late 1980s EF 200mm 1/1.8F L series lens - however I cannot find the instruction booklet anywhere on the internet and have contacted Canon and they are unable to help.

Does anyone know what all those buttons/switches do please as I am desperate to get using it!

Many thanks for any and all help!

Sparkie:lol:

This identical message has been posted on several online photo forums.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
10,764 posts
Joined May 2003

Feb 14, 2013 06:28 |  #5

Wonderful lens! Read the review at http://www.the-digital-picture.com ….8-L-USM-Lens-Review.aspx (external link) carefully and you should be able to determine the functions of the various buttons/switches. In particular, pay attention to comments re: full time manual focusing. As I recall you can damage the lens autofocus if you don' t do what is stated.

Note as well there are some good videos on the web where you might pick up some tips. One is at http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=qbjUCTLkUEA; (external link) just bear with it a bit as the 1st 10 seconds more or less is an ad.

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Feb 14, 2013 10:30 as a reply to  @ John from PA's post |  #6

Since no one else has been able to figure this out or locate this: there's a guide to the 200mm f/1.8 lens' switches online, (external link) at the extremely useful Photography in Malaysia (external link) site, which is a good place to visit for those who are discovering that cameras were invented more than five years ago.

To further limit any confusion, most of the switches are those already found on Canon's L-series telephoto prime lenses, (external link) which have long had focus limiter (external link) and preset controls to speed the process of autofocus in difficult conditions. it's likely that many photographers have never encountered these controls. (external link)

sparkielspa
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined May 2009

Feb 28, 2013 03:18 |  #7

DC Fan wrote in post #15608789 (external link)
This identical message has been posted on several online photo forums.

Yes it has as I trying to find someone who can help - didnt realise that asking for help was a crime

sparkielspa
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined May 2009

Feb 28, 2013 03:19 |  #8

thank you to all who helped
Emma

convergent
Goldmember
2,209 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 28, 2013 06:38 |  #9

This lens isn't that complicated... Doesn't even have IS. Turn on AF, and set the focus limit switch to the range you will be shooting and forget the rest. If you've not used a lens this large, your technique is really where you need to focus... No pun intended. Enjoy it... A wonderful lens that is worth about $3,500.

Mike - Victory Photo (external link) | Full Gear List | Feedback
5D3 gripped - 7D2 gripped - 17-40L f/4 - 18-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS STM - 24-70L f/2.8 II - 70-200L f/2.8 IS II - 100-400 L f/4.6-5.6 IS II
135L f/2 - 300L f/2.8 IS - Siggy 15 f/2.8 Fisheye, 100 f/2.8 Macro - TC1.4 II - TC2 III - (2) 600EX-RT - ST-E3-RT

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Feb 28, 2013 10:24 |  #10

sparkielspa wrote in post #15660424 (external link)
Yes it has as I trying to find someone who can help - didnt realise that asking for help was a crime

There's a threshold of multiple posting of identical messages that can be too easily seen as spamming or trolling.

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,256 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 28, 2013 10:26 |  #11

DC Fan wrote in post #15661208 (external link)
There's a threshold of multiple posting of identical messages that can be too easily seen as spamming or trolling.

... and we haven't had our morning coffee, have a bad case of "bed hair", and are sort of grumpy :D

It's really pretty simple to use... Turn the AF on, mount it on your camera, use it normally.

AF on and off is pretty self-explanatory. This is a USM lens, so you should be able to manually override focus at any time, however read the warning below.

The Focus Limiter is pretty self-explanatory and can be used to speed up AF, if needed and if all your work is being done within a particular range of focus.

The rest of the functions are relatively optional.

"Signal" selects whether or not AF "beeps" when the lens achieves focus (it's also selectable on most or maybe all modern cameras). It only works in One Shot (not in AI Servo).

"Preset" is a special focusing function, via a switch that works in conjunction with the heavily knurled ring just behind the manual focus ring. Forward position turns it off. Middle position turns it on. Rear position is momentary and you slide that to record a particular preset focus distance, after it's been achieved with AF. You then can recall that preset focus distance instantaneously by turning the knurled ring either direction. How to use it? Well, say you are photographing at a soccer match and want to set up the focus to recall focus on the goal quickly, in case some future action occurs there. Go thru the setup procedure and leave the switch in the "on" position, and you can go on with your business focusing elsewhere, but will have that distance to the goal preset for quick recall if needed. It remains recorded until you change it.

"Manual focus speed" is also pretty self-explanatory, experiment with it if you wish... Basically the reason you would change it would be when speed is the more important factor to focus more quickly with minimal movement of the focus ring, vs setting it to focus more slowly, with greater movement of the ring for a higher degree of precision. With large aperture lenses and their inherently shallow depth of field, it can be important to be able to focus precisely. Thus a lot of them have "long throw" focus mechanisms. With this lens you can choose and set it yourself, faster if - for example - you are shooting sports and want to quickly get within acceptible focus, are more concerned about speed than accuracy. Or slower if - for example - you are shooting portraits or fashion with a large aperture and need to very precisely place the point of focus, are not very concerned about speed.

If I recall correctly, the 200/1.8 doesn't have the four "AF Stop" buttons that many of the other big white super teles do, so I won't go into how those operate (they are "assignable", anyway, on some of the more recent camera models... so they can have different functions depending upon setup).

A few more specific things about the 200/1.8L...

Hopefully the one you got has both the hood and the tripod mounting ring (which might be removeable, I don't recall if it is). Take care with these... don't lose or damage them. They are virtually impossible to replace and the hood alone would likely cost about $500 U.S. if you can find one. The lens cap is unique, too... though if it's lost there are some alternatives (besides plastic coffee can lids or PVC piping caps from the hardware store)... the company that makes LensCoat also make a soft cap in a variety of sizes... I forget for certain what they call them... something like a "Hoodie".

Be carefull with the lens hood fastening mechanism too, not to overtighten or overloosen the screw that holds it in place. As far as I know, those parts aren't available separately if that locking mechanism is damaged or any of the parts are lost.

Near the rear of the lens is a drop-in filter holder. In case you have never used a lens with one of these... There should always be at least a clear or "sky" filter in this, as it's part of the optical formula. The lens orignially came with a gel filter holder, but there were optional 48mm screw-in filter holders that can be used with any common screw-in filter (a "slim" might be needed in some cases), and an optional 48mm circular polarizing drop-in filter (a standard C-Pol can't be used, there is no way to rotate it). The non-IS EF 300/2.8, 400/2.8, 500/4.5 and 600/6 lenses all also used the 48mm drop-in gel/filter holders and 48mm drop-in C-Pol . The later IS lenses and the Mark II IS lenses use a larger 52mm size drop-in that's not compatible.

Canon has no spare parts to repair some (many?) of the mechanisms in the 200/1.8,, if needed. Canon discontinued the lens in 2004 and ran out of spare parts almost immediately. The main concern is the AF system. I am not certain if Canon will even service the lens any longer. There are some third party/independent service techs who will work on it, if needed. I would recommend having it tuned up and getting it serviced every few years (depending upon how hard you use it), just to prevent any excessive wear. You might minimize manual override of AF, just as a precaution. It really shouldn't be a problem overriding a USM lens, but why take risks if you don't have to. Turn off the AF at the switch, if you want to manually focus. Also gently operate all the switches occasionally. Most switches of this type are self-cleaning, can get oxidized from lack of use.

Despite it being next to impossible to replace, always use the lens hood. It is deep and protects the huge front element of the lens very well. The front element of the 200/1.8 is plain... not convex or concave. This is partially because it is intended to be easier and less expensive to replace, if needed. Sort of like a "protective filter" (since it's too large diameter for an actual filter). However, I have no idea whether there are replacement spares of that front element available. So, if it were me, I'd use the lens hood pretty religiously to protect it... and carefully cap it when the lens is stored.

It's a great lens! Enjoy it! Whoever gave it to you, you at least owe them lunch!

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,383 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Feb 28, 2013 10:42 |  #12

DC Fan wrote in post #15661208 (external link)

it's only one post in this forum...it seems smart to me if you don't know about online photography forums to post it in multiple ones...you catch more fish with more poles...

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Feb 28, 2013 13:31 |  #13

amfoto1 wrote in post #15661217 (external link)
... and we haven't had our morning coffee, have a bad case of "bed hair", and are sort of grumpy

I posted the answer to the original message in this thread two weeks ago. A guide to the switches on the Canon 200mm f/1.8L (external link) has been available online for several years at the Photography in Malaysia site. (external link) I also posted a link to a further guide to the typical switch collection (external link) found on, among other units, Canon L-series telephoto lenses.

sponsored links

3,109 views & 0 likes for this thread
1980s EF 200mm 1/1.8f L series - need help
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.