Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 06 Feb 2013 (Wednesday) 10:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Can iPad read RAW files?

tgara
Goldmember
2,336 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 12, 2013 08:19 |  #31

mike1812 wrote in post #15599961 (external link)
Well, the problem is how would you use the hard drive in connection with the ipad? I have the new Seagate wifi drive, but that's designed to be only one way - TO the ipad. That's why I'm using the 2 device process - laptop and drive for storage/editing, and ipad for quick previews. How would you get the photos from your camera onto the hard drive? If you put them onto the ipad first, there's still no way that I know of to then move them from the ipad to the hard drive.

I think the newest model of Seagate GoFlex allows you to upload photos from your device TO the GoFlex unit. Here's the relevant part of the spec sheet:

When you need more storage capacity on your smartphone or tablet, you can easily off-load photos and videos from your device’s camera roll by uploading them to your Wireless Plus storage device using the Seagate Media app.

So, it appears that if you can get your photos into the iPad's Camera Roll, you can move them to the GoFlex unit.

The question then becomes: Can Photos added to the iPad through the Camera Connection Kit be moved to the Camera Roll? IIRC, normally the Camera Roll stores photos taken with the iPad itself or if you save them from a website. New added photos from the CCK are put in a new album separate from the Camera Roll. I do not know of a way to move photos from an Album to the Camera Roll.

EOS 5D Mark III
EOS Rebel SL1
Full Gear List

mike1812
338 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 12, 2013 13:44 |  #32

^^that's great! I haven't had the time to play around with it yet, and I didn't know that it was indeed 2 way. Since I use an Eye-Fi card, that is easy - it puts your photos in your Camera Roll by default. From there, I can copy freely to the Seagate.

I hope to have some time to try it out this weekend and will report back on success/failure, and transfer speed.

EF 135L | EF 70-300 L | ST-E3-RT | (4) Einstein E640s | Sekonic L-758 | Sony A7RII Gripped | Sony A7RIII Gripped | Sony 16-35GM | Sony FE 55 f/1.8 | Sony FE 85 f/1.4 GM | Sony FE 100-400GM | Sony 1.4x | Sony HVL-60M | Sigma MC-11 | Flashpoint Xplor AD600 | Flashpoint AD200 (2)| Flashpoint AD360 | plus too many doodads to list

steampunkb
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 12, 2013 19:29 |  #33

Cyanide7730 wrote in post #15600177 (external link)
how fast are transfer rates between ipad and seagate wifi stream? I'd imagine to be pretty slow

I did a quick transfer of a 750.71MB movie through a ftp app on my ipad. Took 262.2 secs. so that's 2.86 MB/s. not that fast in comparison to a direct connection. But apple has limited the ipad's capabilities, of course. so the seagate satellite drive is one of the only choices.

If you're asking about streaming in HD, my only reference is a 1080p movie, mp4 format at 2.3gigs. It streamed fine. I've converted all my files to mp4 so they're mobile device friendly.

I'd like to comment on the camera connection kit process, but i havent gotten around to buying it.

mike1812 wrote in post #15602553 (external link)
^^that's great! I haven't had the time to play around with it yet, and I didn't know that it was indeed 2 way. Since I use an Eye-Fi card, that is easy - it puts your photos in your Camera Roll by default. From there, I can copy freely to the Seagate.

I hope to have some time to try it out this weekend and will report back on success/failure, and transfer speed.

just an FYI pertaining to eye-fi. The custom firmware has the ability to make the seagate an eye-fi server. So the pictures dont need to pass through the ipad. I'm not too familiar with eye-fi myself, but here is the page about the eye-fi server (external link)

Cyanide7730
43 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Feb 14, 2013 17:27 |  #34

that seems pretty quick despite no cables. thanks for the info on the transfer speeds!

7D | 17-55 2.8 | Sigma 35mm 1.4 | Canon 50mm 1.4 | Sigma 30mm 1.4 | Canon 70-200mm 4 IS | 430 EX II
www.flickr.com/cyanide​7730 (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

14,156 views & 0 likes for this thread
Can iPad read RAW files?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.