Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 27 Apr 2012 (Friday) 15:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lowepro Event Messenger 150 Bag Quick Review

ahendarman
851 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 27, 2012 15:16 |  #1

I have been looking for a small/medium messenger style bag for my everyday use when I only want to carry a DSLR body with a lens mounted, an additional lens and a flash. I also want a place to put an iPad and a water bottle.

My choices came down to the Think Tank Retrospective 10 (external link), a DIY bag with camera insert or the new Lowepro Event Messenger (external link) bag. I went to my local camera store and I like the Lowepro Event Messenger 150 the
best. It is also priced at a more reasonable $59 (compared to $159 for the Think Tank) close to the final price of the DYI bag.

The bag feels small, but it is really well made and has plenty of room. The color is actually more pleasant to see in person than it looks on the web. The shoulder strap is very wide and feels really comfortable even with full load. There is also a small handle attached to the back for hand carrying.

IMAGE: http://ahendarman.smugmug.com/photos/i-vr9RkdR/0/M/i-vr9RkdR-M.jpg
IMAGE: http://ahendarman.smugmug.com/photos/i-6mRJR3x/0/M/i-6mRJR3x-M.jpg

There is a zippered compartment in the front of the bag that can hold memory cards, spare batteries, pens, filters, etc. The main compartment is divided with velcro-attached dividers that can be arranged according
to your specific need. The iPad compartment is in the back on the main compartment and it's very well padded.

IMAGE: http://ahendarman.smugmug.com/photos/i-SSRHHZC/0/L/i-SSRHHZC-L.jpg
IMAGE: http://ahendarman.smugmug.com/photos/i-VqNHLSr/0/L/i-VqNHLSr-L.jpg

I can fit an un-gripped 5D Mark III with 24-105L lens attached in the middle with the lens facing down, a 70-300L lens (with reversed hood) on the left side and a 270EX flash tucked inside the right side under the camera. There is more than enough room to tuck in the camera strap and close the lid properly.

I can also fit a 70-200 f/2.8 and a 580EXII instead, but the bag becomes really tight and pushes toward the iPad compartment too much. Removing the flash makes the fit more comfortable.

IMAGE: http://ahendarman.smugmug.com/photos/i-NFRMtHW/0/M/i-NFRMtHW-M.jpg

Features that I like:
- It doesn't look like a camera bag even with the small Lowepro logo in the front
- It has a velcro silencer similar to the Think Tank
- Fits a water bottle on the side pouch
- There is an additional deep pocket in the back that can fit a book, a map, passport, or a wallet
- It has a fastener on the main flap, so it can be securely closed even when the velcro silencer is used
- The memory card holder can fit either an SD or a CF with protective case although there is only room for one.

IMAGE: http://ahendarman.smugmug.com/photos/i-nr5dws5/0/M/i-nr5dws5-M.jpg

Features/drawback that I don't like:
- The fastener on the main flap is not adjustable so it can't be fastened if the bag is overloaded
- The side pouch is a tight fit for a normal water bottle, I wish it's a bit bigger
- The shoulder strap should be a bit longer. I am 5"8" but I already have to adjust it to maximum length to get the bag rest on my hips
- There is no rain cover included

Overall, I think this is a perfect bag for my need. It looks great and feels great to carry around.

Gear | Smugmug (external link)

sponsored links
Daphatty
490 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2012

Apr 27, 2012 16:14 |  #2

Good review. I've been meaning to review the Messenger 250 that I picked up a few weeks ago but haven't had time.

Canon 5D III | EF 24-105mm f/4L IS | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | EF 40mm f/2.8
Nest NT-6295c Tripod | Bendo IB2 Ballhead

daveyboi
652 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 27, 2012 16:25 |  #3

Daphatty wrote in post #14340311 (external link)
Good review. I've been meaning to review the Messenger 250 that I picked up a few weeks ago but haven't had time.

me too!!! Picked mine up two days ago.

5D Mark II // 17-40L SOLD:cry: // 24-70L // 70-200 F/2.8 IS II L SOLD:cry: // 50 f/1.8
Instagram: the_davebot
Welcoming myself back to photography

xMClass
Goldmember
2,203 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 28, 2012 01:27 |  #4

Wish they had this in black. Not a fan of that color.

-Mikey

Indecent ­ Exposure
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 28, 2012 03:53 |  #5

I wouldn't mind if they added a slip lock or two.

- James -
www.feedthewant.com (external link)
500px (external link)
Gear List and Feedback

Gizmo1137
960 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 28, 2012 08:16 as a reply to  @ Indecent Exposure's post |  #6

I have been happy with Lowe Pro bags and like their Messenger line. Nice review.

Best, Bruce

Trout ­ Bum
488 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Joined Dec 2007

May 01, 2012 08:16 as a reply to  @ Gizmo1137's post |  #7

Thanks for the review. I'm looking at this or the CompuDay Photo 150, but also wish they offered the former in black. I'm a fan of LowePro bags.

Mark
My photography website (external link)
My fine art website (external link)
My youtube channel (external link)
Instagram: @MarkMilleArt

T2i4me
Goldmember
2,905 posts
Joined Jun 2011

May 01, 2012 14:17 |  #8

Great review. A similar sized bag that comes in all black is the Tamrac Express 7, #3537 for around $45.

-- Eric --
5DC - T2i - 100-400 L IS - 70-200 F4 L - 17-40 L - EF 85 1.8 - EF-S 10-22 - EF-S 15-85 IS - EF-S 60 macro - 430EX II

FEChariot
Goldmember
4,422 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Sep 2011

May 04, 2012 10:58 as a reply to  @ T2i4me's post |  #9

Thanks for the review, this is exactly what I have been looking for.

Canon 7D/350D, Σ17-50/2.8 OS, 18-55IS, 24-105/4 L IS, Σ30/1.4 EX, 50/1.8, C50/1.4, 55-250IS, 60/2.8, 70-200/4 L IS, 85/1.8, 100/2.8 IS L, 135/2 L 580EX II, 430EX II * 2, 270EX II.

_aravena
isn't this answer a stickie yet?
12,450 posts
Joined Feb 2007

May 28, 2012 13:29 |  #10

Yeah, the color isn't the best and would get dirty quick. This is pretty much just an Exchange Messenger with more padding and pockets. More formal "event" design but looks stiff. Not a fan of stiff bags really and with the 150 being the size of the Exchange and the 250 being $80, I'm still leaning towards the Domke 802.

Last Shot Photography
My Site (external link) ~ Gear List ~ Bag Reviews

Unrising ­ Muffin
133 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Feb 14, 2013 18:36 |  #11

I just got this bag, its pretty nice. I does come in black btw. :)

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,718 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Feb 14, 2013 19:21 |  #12

Great review. Nice color too.

pdrober2
Goldmember
2,318 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 14, 2013 21:13 |  #13

I love reviving threads from the dead!

Fujifilm X-T1 | 23 | 27 | 56 | 90 | 55-200
Feedback

drajasa
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Mar 2013

May 08, 2013 13:34 as a reply to  @ pdrober2's post |  #14

I just grabbed a copy of this bag last week. Im gonna give some quick review on what i have tried to fit inside this bag.
Overall i love the color and the material used on this bag, and the bag feels quite sturdy.

If I put this bag into maximum load, i can fit my 5D2 (without grip) with 17-40 attached, 50mm 1.4 or 85mm 1.8, 70-200mm 2.8 (without tripod collar and lens hood), and my iPad 2 on the tablet sleeve quite comfortably.

If I replace the 70-200 with 135, i got one extra space for a prime lens. It means I can bring 3 lenses and one lens attached to the camera with this bag with no major issues and still can fit my iPad 2.

What I like about this bag:
- Relatively small sized, but can carry quite much amount of gear and accessories.
- The material used on this bag.
- Velcro silencers
- Ideal for travelling.

What I didn't like:
- I wish the clip (front fastener) was adjustable to give more comfortable fit on the bag while fully loaded.

JChin
415 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Jul 18, 2013 03:00 |  #15

I've had the Event Messenger 150 for over a year now. The thing I wish they had on this bag is SlipLock slots. And I wish it was a little bigger so it can take a 7D (or 5D2) with grip.

Johnny J. Chin ~ J. Chin Photography (external link)
Facebook (external link)Flickr (external link)SmugMug (external link)Zenfolio (external link)
I shoot with Canon gear.

sponsored links

13,502 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lowepro Event Messenger 150 Bag Quick Review
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.