Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 14 Feb 2013 (Thursday) 11:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

XLR adapter stuck....

OneJZsupra
Goldmember
2,378 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 14, 2013 11:02 |  #1

So I just got a Tascam DR-100 MK II in and a shure SM93 lav and the adapter for the mic is stuck. I have no idea wtf is holding it in as i've tried pushing the lever to get it to release.

I called Tascam and was told to just rip out the adapter and send it back to BHphoto, BHphoto said to just try and get it out and if something gets damaged to send one back and see if I can get it replaced. Because of the shape of the adapter it's really hard to do that. Any ideas?

Gear List | Feed Back | My Site (external link)
YN RF-603 O-ring solution

sponsored links
Channel ­ One
Goldmember
1,649 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 14, 2013 12:37 |  #2

seoul4korea wrote in post #15609565 (external link)
So I just got a Tascam DR-100 MK II in and a shure SM93 lav and the adapter for the mic is stuck. I have no idea wtf is holding it in as i've tried pushing the lever to get it to release. Any ideas?

Are you holding the button down while pulling on the plug?

When you plug an XLR plug into the XLR jack a claw in the jack locks into the plug keeping it from being accidentally pulled out, pushing the release button moves the claw out of the way but doesn't eject the plug, it merely allows it to be removed from the jack.

Now if the jack is defective, that claw may not be pulling fully back, effectively locking the plug in place permanently, if this has happened you might be able to get a shim slid in between the plug and the jack, maybe pushing the release button at the same time to get it somewhat back to where it needs to be, carefully examine the other jack on your Tascam and you will see the claw and by pressing the release button see how it pulls back and that might give you an idea of how to get a shim in there and release the plug.

Wayne

Madness takes its toll, please have exact change. (external link)

NPPA Member District 6.
SMPTE Atlanta.

OneJZsupra
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,378 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 14, 2013 14:29 |  #3

I am pulling it and it does seem to be defective, I'm at an audio shop seeing if I can get it removed. More to come!

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 14, 2013 16:32 |  #4

Just out of curiosity, what brand is the cable and/or XLR connector?

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

OneJZsupra
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,378 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 14, 2013 18:03 |  #5

Ben, The XLR connector is the provided connector from Shure.

Here's the story guys.....

This morning I called Tascam to explain the issue... I was told that I should return the product to B&H as a DOA and that I should try and remove the adapter..... Any way I can to include, "Ripping it out, even if it damages the unit".

Me thinking that is a dumb idea, I called B&H.
I talked to B&H and was told to return both the Tascam and the Shure and they would do an exchange on both items.

Case closed I guess.

Channel ­ One
Goldmember
1,649 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 14, 2013 18:37 |  #6

ben_r_ wrote in post #15610655 (external link)
Just out of curiosity, what brand is the cable and/or XLR connector?

Ben, it sounds to me like he has the pre-amp of the SM-93 steadfastly stuck in the XLR jack of the DR-100 and he cannot get the latching claw of the DR-100's jack to backoff and release the pre-amp.

FWIW this is what he is dealing with, on the right you can see the slot the claw latches to.

IMAGE: http://www.channel1images.com/Assets/sm931.jpg

As you can see there is not alot of room to get in there and shim a release of the claw.

IMAGE: http://www.channel1images.com/Assets/sm932.jpg

Wayne

NPPA Member District 6.
SMPTE Atlanta.

OneJZsupra
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,378 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 14, 2013 18:42 |  #7

^^^^ That is exactly this situation i'm in Wayne.

Channel ­ One
Goldmember
1,649 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 14, 2013 18:45 |  #8

seoul4korea wrote in post #15610946 (external link)
Me thinking that is a dumb idea, I called B&H. I talked to B&H and was told to return both the Tascam and the Shure and they would do an exchange on both items.

Case closed I guess.

Good for B&H.

Now just one thought, if you do not have the mess already packed up, have you tried holding down the release button then pushing the pre-amp into the jack and then try pulling it back out?

I know it's grasping at straws, but I wonder with everything being new and tight, the claw might be hanging in the slot and pushing the plug in might just cause it to drop out and release the plug.

I have only had this happen once and that was because I failed to notice the release button was already in and the jack was pooched, ended up cutting the cord and leaving the plug behind.

Wayne

NPPA Member District 6.
SMPTE Atlanta.

OneJZsupra
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,378 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 14, 2013 18:59 |  #9

Channel One wrote in post #15611062 (external link)
Good for B&H.

Now just one thought, if you do not have the mess already packed up, have you tried holding down the release button then pushing the pre-amp into the jack and then try pulling it back out?

I know it's grasping at straws, but I wonder with everything being new and tight, the claw might be hanging in the slot and pushing the plug in might just cause it to drop out and release the plug.

I have only had this happen once and that was because I failed to notice the release button was already in and the jack was pooched, ended up cutting the cord and leaving the plug behind.

Wayne

It's packed and shipped. I actually tried that hoping it might work though, I tried a lot of things and couldnt get it to workk at all.

Hey Wayne,
Is there any issues with me using a XLR to XLR cable for my Rode NGT-2 >>>>>Tascam?

Channel ­ One
Goldmember
1,649 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 14, 2013 19:05 |  #10

seoul4korea wrote in post #15611092 (external link)
Is there any issues with me using a XLR to XLR cable for my Rode NGT-2 >>>>>Tascam?

Thats a match made in heaven and you should be able to phantom power the NTG-2 from the Tascam.

Wayne

NPPA Member District 6.
SMPTE Atlanta.

sponsored links

5,274 views & 0 likes for this thread
XLR adapter stuck....
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.