Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
Thread started 12 Feb 2013 (Tuesday) 13:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Whitetail - Cades Cove - Thanksgiving '12

eplingphoto
28 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 12, 2013 13:36 |  #1

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
MIME changed to 'text/html' | Content warning: script

Taken with my older t2i and canon 28-135.

Closest I've ever been to a deer in the Cove.. I walked across the field and was within 10 foot of him.

Just bought a 60D and 70-200 so I'm really looking forward to our spring trip back to the cove.

---------------
5D Mark III - 60D - 40D IR - Canon 70-200L - Canon 50 1.4 - Canon 85L - Canon 24-105

sponsored links
tmwag
Brown Noser has crush on Suzyview
2,641 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 12, 2013 14:01 |  #2

Nice shot. I like the BG which shows off the horns

Tom ­ Reichner
"That's what I do."
16,047 posts
Gallery: 180 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2008
Location: from Pennsylvania, now in Washington state, road trip back and forth a lot, with extensive detouring

Feb 13, 2013 23:58 |  #3

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Yes, it was a good move to line things up so that you put the buck's antlers against a darker background.

I wish you the best when you head back in the spring - should be a lot of opportunities with bears then! And maybe even some gobbling action with the turkeys!

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

eplingphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
28 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 14, 2013 08:59 |  #4

In the 30 years I've been visiting the Cove I've yet to see a bear either.. I have so many turkey pictures though from there I could make a book on them lol

---------------
5D Mark III - 60D - 40D IR - Canon 70-200L - Canon 50 1.4 - Canon 85L - Canon 24-105

Tom ­ Reichner
"That's what I do."
16,047 posts
Gallery: 180 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2008
Location: from Pennsylvania, now in Washington state, road trip back and forth a lot, with extensive detouring

Feb 14, 2013 09:18 |  #5

eplingphoto wrote in post #15609154 (external link)
In the 30 years I've been visiting the Cove I've yet to see a bear either.. I have so many turkey pictures though from there I could make a book on them lol

That's surprising. I was there for 21 days in the fall of 2010, and saw bears on 12 of the days. Different bears in different places. But I will add that I did not see any of the bears from the road; all were found while hiking in the woods back away from the roads.

If you go in the spring and try to find bears, I'm sure you'll be able to find some - April, May, and June are the times when they are most easily found in the Cove. That's just a few months away - good luck!

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

ducklabdad
579 posts
Joined May 2009

Feb 14, 2013 21:17 |  #6

Nice shot of that buck for sure!!

Wife and I have made the trip twice in the last few months to Cades Cove. Third week of October and again 2 weeks ago. In October we saw several bears, but more people than you could shake a stick at. Actually saw a man yank a young boy of about 6 out of his car(Boy was in footy pajamas) and leaving his car blocking the road carry the boy out into the field within about 25 yards of a nice sized bear. He finally succumbed to the people yelling and screaming at him and got back in the car. It is amazing at how bears turn people into absolute fools.

2 weeks ago was much nicer, less people and even though some of the nicer bucks had already shed some antlers, I did get some of my best shots, and did hear some turkeys gobbling, and shot some strutting.

Just an "ole dog" trying to learn "new tricks"! helpful advice is always welcome!!

Canon 7d, Canon XS/ XSi,18-55, 14-40 L, 70-300, and Bigmos! my"work in progress" http://ducklabdad.smug​mug.com/ (external link)

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Feb 14, 2013 21:19 |  #7

Good try.

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

sponsored links

1,340 views & 0 likes for this thread
Whitetail - Cades Cove - Thanksgiving '12
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.