Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 01 Feb 2013 (Friday) 09:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon admits: Disappointed with the EOS M.

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Feb 15, 2013 15:22 |  #91

NaKiD EyE wrote in post #15613911 (external link)
my 1ds III had better shadow recovery than the 5d3 i tried. Sounds like it's getting worse to me. Low light shooting is the only thing that matters to canon at the moment.

Deft sidestep.

It is a general truism (at least on this board) that Nikon's recent sensors exhibit the best DR of all FF cameras, past or present, approaching if not exceeding the best DR from film days.

I was pointing out that you view this performance as only "marginally" better than Canon while at the same time you view Canon's DR performance to be not even "decent". Hence, by extension, Nikon's DR is only marginally better than not decent. Hence, my :rolleyes:

Tom

sponsored links
NaKiD ­ EyE
Goldmember
2,343 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 15, 2013 15:42 |  #92

Well when the technology over a 3-4 year period doesn't really improve then IMO it isn't "decent" anymore. Just they way I look at it. Come out with a cam that has 13-14 stops of DR and you will even improve low light performance. Lol sounds like a no brainer to me.

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Feb 15, 2013 15:47 |  #93

NaKiD EyE wrote in post #15614044 (external link)
Well when the technology over a 3-4 year period doesn't really improve then IMO it isn't "decent" anymore. Just they way I look at it. Come out with a cam that has 13-14 stops of DR and you will even improve low light performance. Lol sounds like a no brainer to me.

I can't argue with what sounds like a "no brainer" to you (it is your brain, after all), but what you said before is illogical to me, namely that the best DR ever in digital photography is only marginally better than not decent.

Tom

Jahled
Goldmember
1,498 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Feb 15, 2013 16:55 as a reply to  @ post 15612847 |  #94

Yawn

James
Snow Leopards of Leafy London- The magic begins 5th November 20:00 hours on Animal Planet :) | Gear

NaKiD ­ EyE
Goldmember
2,343 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 15, 2013 17:26 |  #95

RTPVid wrote in post #15614064 (external link)
I can't argue with what sounds like a "no brainer" to you (it is your brain, after all), but what you said before is illogical to me, namely that the best DR ever in digital photography is only marginally better than not decent.

marginally was the wrong word.

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Feb 15, 2013 17:48 |  #96

gjl711 wrote in post #15560658 (external link)
That they have. In 2010 you heard phrases like "Canon destroyed Nikon in 2010 global DSLR market share" with a nearly %50 market share. Today it's "Canon still in the lead" but by one or two percentage points. It's not as if the sky is falling but from once not so long ago being the market leader in every market niche Canon has let them all slip pretty much across the board. The EOS M is a down right embarrassment when compared to the competition especially considering how late they came to the party. It would not surprise me if 2013 is the year Canon looses market leadership in the DSLR market segment.

Could you please give me reference on that numbers?

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,371 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 15, 2013 19:11 |  #97

RTPVid wrote in post #15613850 (external link)
You said it was easy. It is not easy. Glad we now agree.

I said getting access to the information was easy.

pwm2 wrote in post #15613880 (external link)
Having a patent doesn't mean you know how to actually implement the functionality in a way that is commercially viable.

We agree, what's the problem?

pwm2 wrote in post #15613891 (external link)
Liquid lenses are suited for small cameras. So you randomly drag up patents that aren't even applicable.

I just pulled up a few random patents that seemed camera related. There are maybe 20,000 more. <- total guess estimating 2000 a year for 10 years.

I don't know why this is so complicated, access to what technology Canon has developed is easily accessible to anyone who wants to view it and read and study the patents. In addition Canon put's out white papers describing their technology as well. Some are publicly available, some published in tech journals. How that will impact your next camera is anyone's guess.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,371 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 15, 2013 19:13 |  #98

samsen wrote in post #15614386 (external link)
Could you please give me reference on that numbers?

Post #17. My errors were pointed out in post #25 I think.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Indecent ­ Exposure
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 15, 2013 20:48 |  #99

I don't think patents mean what you think they mean.

- James -
www.feedthewant.com (external link)
500px (external link)
Gear List and Feedback

HyperYagami
Goldmember
2,405 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 15, 2013 21:25 |  #100

NaKiD EyE wrote in post #15613894 (external link)
you are pretty naive to think that canon comes out with the absolute best camera they can.

no. i'm not. but your blanket statement saying "you don't have the technology, you just want to slowly incorporate it", without any supporting facts, absolutely makes no sense or whatsoever.

if you simply say "sony has this great sensor" then, so canon can just go grab and use it? you think it's that simple?

5D3 and a few lens
es.

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,722 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Feb 15, 2013 21:38 |  #101

rick_reno wrote in post #15564367 (external link)
they could put a lens on a turd and sell it.

Oh man, that's deep.

botw
Goldmember
1,154 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 15, 2013 21:38 |  #102

This thread used to be interesting...

www.gc5photography.com (external link)

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 16, 2013 01:17 |  #103

NaKiD EyE wrote in post #15614326 (external link)
marginally was the wrong word.

I think you meant "margarinally."

It's similar to "like butter", but it has less saturated phat.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

Submariner
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012

Feb 16, 2013 06:43 |  #104

Finally divested ownership in my a77!
More fool me?
Rather sad in a way I just hope canon make up,will,a nice series if

Lets hope, they sort out video in DSLRS!and improve UK pricing it's disgraceful
Someone should get the CEOs name and email Address and ask him WTF, with every Canon customer sending him an email explain that £1000 = £1,500
They have the nerve to announce something at $1,000 at £1,0000 pounds sterling. What about the exchange rate of 1.5
Wow would that boost sales hat on.

Canon EOS 5DS R, Canon EF 70-200 F2.8 L Mk II IS USM, Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6 L IS USM, EF 40mm F2.8 STM , RC6 Remote. Canon STE-3 Radio Flash Controller, Canon 600 EX RT x4 , YN 560 MkII x2 ; Bowens GM500PRO x4 , Bowens Remote Control. Bowens Pulsar TX, RX Radio Transmitter and Reciever Cards. Bowens Constant 530 Streamlights 600w x 4 Sold EOS 5D Mk III, 7D, EF 50mm F1.8, 430 EX Mk II, Bowens GM500Rs x4

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 16, 2013 12:07 |  #105

Submariner wrote in post #15615761 (external link)
improve UK pricing it's disgraceful
Someone should get the CEOs name and email Address and ask him WTF, with every Canon customer sending him an email explain that £1000 = £1,500

There is some gouging, but 20% of that is the VAT. Still another 30% or so to explain for sure.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

sponsored links

18,715 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon admits: Disappointed with the EOS M.
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.