Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings 
Thread started 15 Jul 2010 (Thursday) 14:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A thread for real estate, architectural, and interior design photography

GadgetRick
Goldmember
1,081 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 15, 2013 05:23 |  #5611

ekynox wrote in post #15611749 (external link)
I'm curious to find out if anyone here who regularly shoots interiors if you set a custom white balance for every room you shoot as well as using a color chart for every room?

I do not. I always shoot in RAW then correct in post. Would waste too much time to set custom WB for each room/angle.

Now, I don't know about the guys/gals shooting architecture where you can charge more and spend more time. I've been trying to get clients for this type of shooting.

sponsored links
evo5ive
302 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 15, 2013 07:02 |  #5612

ekynox wrote in post #15611749 (external link)
I'm curious to find out if anyone here who regularly shoots interiors if you set a custom white balance for every room you shoot as well as using a color chart for every room?

It's not something I currently do, I just fix in post, but it is something that I want to start doing.

Kirk
Website (external link) | Google+ (external link) | Facebook (external link)

annietex
Goldmember
1,439 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 15, 2013 07:11 |  #5613

GadgetRick wrote in post #15612286 (external link)
I do not. I always shoot in RAW then correct in post. Would waste too much time to set custom WB for each room/angle.

evo5ive wrote in post #15612397 (external link)
It's not something I currently do, I just fix in post, but it is something that I want to start doing.

I do the same, but I'm curious how you guys go about it. I struggle with WB and the funky yellow cast from incandescent lights. Care to share your methods?

Ann
Gear List

doidinho
Goldmember
3,352 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 15, 2013 08:45 |  #5614

I think of it more like color balancing than color correction.

If there are multiple different light sources, like daylight and tungsten, a lot of times you can't correct the color; the better it gets in one part of the picture, the worst it gets in another.

I found that if I concentrate on just the color and accept that there will be areas that are too yellow or too blue, I can normally find a global balance between the areas with opposing color casts.

In short, when the wb is too wacky to color correct I accept it and do the next best thing which is to balance the casts using color theory.

Robert McCadden
My Flickr (external link)
MM (external link)
5DMKII, Rebel xti, 24-105 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40.

ESMcBlurM3
502 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 15, 2013 08:59 |  #5615

I would also think it has a lot to do with consistency. Even if your wb is a bit off, I would think I'd rather it be consistent throughout the set, rather then all over the map image to image. I wouldn't want the hardwoods to look cherry in one photo, and then a much lighter wood in another.

Canon 50D, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 17-50, Sigma 30, Canon 100L Macro, Sigma 100-300
My Flickr! (external link)

evo5ive
302 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 15, 2013 09:14 |  #5616

annietex wrote in post #15612412 (external link)
I do the same, but I'm curious how you guys go about it. I struggle with WB and the funky yellow cast from incandescent lights. Care to share your methods?

I'll get it fairly neutral in Lightroom, usually by finding something white or grey and using the eyedropper tool. Then I'll fine tune it, and I admit I do have a preference of going just a touch on the warm side, especially for residential shots. I find it gives houses a more relaxed and welcoming feeling whereas if the temp is too cool it seems to feel more institutional and 'clean'.

Kirk
Website (external link) | Google+ (external link) | Facebook (external link)

GadgetRick
Goldmember
1,081 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 15, 2013 09:21 |  #5617

annietex wrote in post #15612412 (external link)

I actually just use Auto WB in camera then, on indoor shots, select Auto for WB in LR. I do everything I'm going to do on the photos (I always shoot 3 shot brackets and combine them). If my WB is wacky (usually with different light sources obviously), I'll go into PS and selectively adjust WB in different areas.

Works well for me.

doidinho
Goldmember
3,352 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 15, 2013 09:34 |  #5618

GadgetRick wrote in post #15612749 (external link)
If my WB is wacky (usually with different light sources obviously), I'll go into PS and selectively adjust WB in different areas.

Works well for me.

Do you have an example of where you have done this?

I can and have spotted instances where people have tried this unsuccessfully. Of course, if I have seen an image where it was done well, I wouldn't be able to tell.

I have experimented with this, but never been happy w my results.

If you have a well done example I would love to see it.

Robert McCadden
MM (external link)

GadgetRick
Goldmember
1,081 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 15, 2013 11:33 |  #5619

doidinho wrote in post #15612806 (external link)
Do you have an example of where you have done this?

I can and have spotted instances where people have tried this unsuccessfully. Of course, if I have seen an image where it was done well, I wouldn't be able to tell.

I have experimented with this, but never been happy w my results.

If you have a well done example I would love to see it.

Here's an example:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif'

doidinho
Goldmember
3,352 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 15, 2013 13:45 |  #5620

Thanks Rick, whatever you did, it looks good.

May have to give selective cc another try.

Robert McCadden
MM (external link)

GadgetRick
Goldmember
1,081 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 15, 2013 13:49 |  #5621

doidinho wrote in post #15613642 (external link)
Thanks Rick, whatever you did, it looks good.

May have to give selective cc another try.

Thanks. When I first started doing it I found it took me a while. Now I can get through it fairly quickly. This one actually had a lot going on that I had to fix. It's one of those things, which gets easier the more you do it.

virsago_mk2
600 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 16, 2013 03:17 |  #5622

Some more from last week photoshoot.

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8519/8478564126_85ff8a5732.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …s/virsago_mk2/8​478564126/  (external link)
Raleigh Cabinets 2 (external link) by Bryan Design - virsago_mk2 (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8523/8477474225_3a771998ee.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …s/virsago_mk2/8​477474225/  (external link)
Raleigh Cabinets 2 (external link) by Bryan Design - virsago_mk2 (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8371/8478565182_c929ee0072.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …s/virsago_mk2/8​478565182/  (external link)

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8366/8477473975_e9b77a3ba3.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …s/virsago_mk2/8​477473975/  (external link)

Gear: Here | Portfolio: Flickr (external link)

annietex
Goldmember
1,439 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 16, 2013 21:12 |  #5623

GadgetRick wrote in post #15613652 (external link)
Thanks. When I first started doing it I found it took me a while. Now I can get through it fairly quickly. This one actually had a lot going on that I had to fix. It's one of those things, which gets easier the more you do it.

I've never thought about doing that. I tend to use photo filters and mask out the parts I don't want to affect, but it's far from perfect. I use snshdr to blend 6 images and do the rest in photoshop. Thanks for the info!

And yeah, the less time I spend in post, the better!

Ann
Gear List

ChrisMc73
Goldmember
3,212 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 18, 2013 21:06 |  #5624

ChrisMc73 wrote in post #15608118 (external link)
Ok, so I just wanted to post here to get some tips from you all who've shot photos of new homes or homes for sale before. I have a home builder friend who I've been working with on his company web site and he wants me to take some photos of his homes interior and exterior. Which I've done one other time for a realtor, and it turned out ok, she liked the photos and I thought they were decent.

My questions are for some best practices...time of day to shoot, if the house faces east/west vs. north/south is there a better time to shoot, do you use flash, do you use the interior lights on, etc...stuff like this.

I have a 24-70 which seems to be my widest and probably best lens for this kind of work. So I'm just looking for some tips, or some things that are must dos and donts etc...

Thanks.

Ok, It looks like I've jumped into a thread with some awesome photographers doing what I am only wishing and hoping I can do, based on the shots posted in here. Lots of nice work you all. So how does an amateur get to the point where I don't look amateur?

Do you all use flash photography or strobe setups? All hand held, or mostly tripod? As I had posted before, just looking for some good beginners tips.

I'm just a little overwhelmed and don't know where to start, I mean I see your shots and they are all great angles, but is there an angle, or height, or shot you look for in every room, to get consistent shots etc?

I see some of your shots, and I can see where you made a good shout out of a spot I wouldn't normally think could look so cool. I try to get the entire room, or shower, or cabinet and sometimes your shots are just cropped in or crops of certain areas of those spots and they look great, is a lot of that done after a wider shot, or do you just see that and take it, etc...I know it takes an eye for photography, to capture certain stuff, and since this kind of photography is new to me I'm new to the angles and my eye isn't quite trained for the cool shots yet...

annietex
Goldmember
1,439 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 18, 2013 22:48 |  #5625

ChrisMc73 wrote in post #15625675 (external link)
Ok, It looks like I've jumped into a thread with some awesome photographers doing what I am only wishing and hoping I can do, based on the shots posted in here. Lots of nice work you all. So how does an amateur get to the point where I don't look amateur?

Do you all use flash photography or strobe setups? All hand held, or mostly tripod? As I had posted before, just looking for some good beginners tips.

I'm just a little overwhelmed and don't know where to start, I mean I see your shots and they are all great angles, but is there an angle, or height, or shot you look for in every room, to get consistent shots etc?

I see some of your shots, and I can see where you made a good shout out of a spot I wouldn't normally think could look so cool. I try to get the entire room, or shower, or cabinet and sometimes your shots are just cropped in or crops of certain areas of those spots and they look great, is a lot of that done after a wider shot, or do you just see that and take it, etc...I know it takes an eye for photography, to capture certain stuff, and since this kind of photography is new to me I'm new to the angles and my eye isn't quite trained for the cool shots yet...

Well, my first advice would be to not strive to achieve Mike Kelley or Tyler Grundvig level quality out of the gate. They are awesome and make a good living at this stuff. Mike is the king of the flash, and Tyler rocks the HDR with a smattering of flash.

I would first read all you can here and on photographyforrealesta​te.net. Then find an agent you can do some free or greatly discounted jobs for to practice. They "good" angles will come naturally the more you shoot and the more you learn.

Make sure and check the market you're getting into, too. I live in north Texas and there are a couple guys who have driven down the pricing to about half of what we "should" get paid. I don't rely on this as my only means of income so it's not huge for me, but it might be for you.

And most of all good luck!

Ann
Gear List

sponsored links

1,979,788 views & 1,704 likes for this thread
A thread for real estate, architectural, and interior design photography
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.